Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 6 years old Diesel Swift – Keep / Sell (NCR 10 Year rule)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Will not recommend this at all.

For the expected price, you might actually get a good 2012-2014 Honda City AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
How I wish Tata marketed Nano as a cute little car. Right use case for this little one.
Thank you for your suggestion guys but will consider only Swift/Grand i10/Elite i20/Jazz because it has to be a hatchback and my family (including myself) likes these cars.

Is there a possibilities that demand of used small diesel cars will increase after Euro-VI is implemented and probably small diesel cars will either be not available or prices will be too high?
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:58   #47
BANNED

Re: Threatening Diesel Bans: Keep or Sell older car?

My simple suggestion will be get out of Diesels asap.

There may be no future for them in BS6 and beyond. They were killed by the newer SPM standards.

Diesel price is approaching Gasoline, and (take it from me) will one day exceed it, as it does in UK and Switzerland.
sgiitk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 21:06   #48
BHPian

Fate of Relatively Old Vehicles?

I was browsing through my feed of recommended articles and came across a piece showing pre-owned Toyota Fortuners cheaper than a new MS Vitara Brezza.

Link to original article

All the vehicles listed are from Delhi which made me think if it is the effect of the Supreme Court ruling banning diesel vehicles older than 10 years (and petrol vehicles older than 15 years) in the NCR region.

Link to news regarding the ruling

Coming back to the article listing Fortuners for sale, as far as the pictures go, they look pretty decent. One cannot help but wonder that had it not been for the Supreme Court ruling, whether the owners would still have put them up for sale.
How many more people there must be who are having to part with their trusted steeds with a heavy heart just because of this rule?
I am one of those persons who would like to keep their vehicles for a relatively long time and being the motorheads that we are, I have no doubt that there are many more who share my point of view. Buying a vehicle (new or pre-owned) which ticks all the right boxes is not easy. Not to mention the customization that goes into it over time, be it the simpler mods like ICE, seats, lights, etc. or more complex mods such as a DIY cruise control involving sourcing parts from overseas. It is not long before you develop an attachment to the car.
Call me a romantic but how many of us have had our "firsts" in a car - the car you first learnt to drive on? The first car you purchased? Got home after your wedding in? Drove your newborn child home in? First road trip? The list can go on.
And what about vintage cars? What happens to them?

What about those in the transport industry? Surely they cannot be buying new vehicles every 10 years! How will they put food on the table?

Another casualty might be the pre-owned vehicles market in our country which is nascent to begin with. This ruling may kill it totally with all old vehicles being scrapped.

Saying that the air quality in Delhi is poor and needs urgent attention would be an understatement. Will this ruling help curb pollution in the region? Only time will tell.

Can we as a community of automotive enthusiasts come up with a better solution keeping in mind the environmental repurcussions of our actions and present a petition to the honorable Supreme Court in this matter? I leave this out there for the community to answer.

For the time being, my heart goes out to all who would have to see their loved vehicles go prematurely - now and in the future. Of course it is the residents of Delhi NCR who are most affected - bearing the brunt of the poor air quality and parting with their vehicles doing it.

Let's hope electric vehicles can give us the same passion that petrols and diesels have been giving us for years.

hmansari
Old 18th February 2019, 12:23   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fate of Relatively Old Vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmansari View Post
Will this ruling help curb pollution in the region? Only time will tell.
IIT Kanpur had conducted a study in 2015. Less than 10% of overall particulate matter (PM) emissions emanate from cars and jeeps - https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/50115310.cms

Road dust is 35% of PMs
Domestic cooking 22%
Power plants/large industries 22%
Vehicles 25% (summers) to 36% (winters)

Among vehicular pollution, PM 2.5 emissions are broken down as:
Trucks - 25%
2 wheelers - 18%
passenger cars - 14 to 15%

Road dust is something that local governing bodies need to eliminate. Manual or mechanized sweeping and washing is something that gets done regularly in developed countries. Our babus don't do it here though.

Domestic cooking with chulhas and wood-powered mechanisms is something endemic to parts of India that lie North of the vindhyas, from what I've seen. But the current central govt has improved the distribution of cooking gas (LPG) to many rural parts.

Industrial pollution continues unchecked because...this is India. If only the concerned authorities would do their damned jobs!

Speaking of vehicular pollution, how many commercial vehicles are even subjected to proper scheduled pollution checks, leave out surprise spot checks? Don't we all see so many commercial vehicles belching out lots of smoke? Yes, heavy vehicles do emit black smoke, I've seen it abroad as well. But I'm speaking about ensuring that they remain within permitted limits...

Of all these causes, clamping down on car owners is the easiest way out for our babus. It allows them to do nothing, while car owners represent only 2% of the nation's people. It is the easiest path, the path of least resistance.

Lastly though - even despite the clampdown on car ownership, it's not going to solve the emissions problem by much. That has to be the saddest part of this sordid saga!
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks