Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2018, 11:58   #106
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Dear friends,
I have a question.

I purchased a Tata Nexon costing 10.39 lac Ex-showroom. Dealer quoted 1% TCS on it and accordingly the price was finalised. Incidentally, Tata Motors was running a promotional scheme of Rs.40,000 discount on insurance (which was originally quoted Rs.47,000). I paid total amount as per quotation, which included the Insurance @ 7,000.
So final car cost 10.39 + 1%TCS + RTO charges + 7K for discounted insurance.

After taking delivery of vehicle, I received the invoice from dealer. They did not apply 40,000 discount on insurance. It was billed at 47,000 but the car price was now shown on invoice as 9.99 lac. This means they applied discount on the car price rather than the insurance.
So it seems the dealer manipulated the discount such that he did not have to pay the 1% TCS, however, I had already paid him this amount as per original calculation.
My invoice does not show the TCS anywhere but the dealer has assured me he will provide a TCS certificate soon.

Am I right if I demand refund of the 1%TCS amount from him, if he fails to give me the TCS certificate, and hopefully I should not have any claims from IT Dept. later.
Dips is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 22:47   #107
BHPian
 
MuzzledMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MalluLand
Posts: 218
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Now it seems that TCS value to be taxed as per GST slab of automobile. We Indians need to keep paying too much taxes

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/busine...320-2019-01-04
MuzzledMoose is offline  
Old 4th March 2020, 07:38   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

How to claim the refund on the TCS paid?
realactivex is offline  
Old 4th March 2020, 08:19   #109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dips View Post

Am I right if I demand refund of the 1%TCS amount from him, if he fails to give me the TCS certificate, and hopefully I should not have any claims from IT Dept. later.
I saw this post today and thought I may answer, for records. I do have good experience in accounting due to companies I own.

If some one collects Rs xx as TCS, he has to deposit this amount against your PAN number to IT dept. Period. No questions, No excuse what so ever. (if Bangalore, bangalore circle account, if mysore, mysore and so on).

If I collect 1% TCS from you, for whatever purchase, sale or transaction, I have to deposit against your PAN number, within 30 days. Period. No questions, No excuse.

1% TCS is your money. It is not dealers money or any ones money. No one can collect TCS amount and keep to themselves.

Even if the price of the car is 9.99 lakhs or even if it is one lakh, 1% TCS CAN STILL be collected and deposited at IT dept against your PAN number. There is no rule, which says you cannot collect for 1 lakh car or sale of Rs 1 lakh item and not deposit TCS. This amount is used as a proof on your expenditure and the total taxation on your salary/income will be calculated upon financial year closure. You may get a refund or end up paying more based on your income slab.


Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
How to claim the refund on the TCS paid?
Usually, you may not claim refund on this when you are buying cars worth 10 lakhs or 20 lakhs.

If you are buying cars at these price brackets, obviously, your income will be around 6 or 8 lakhs per annum, in which case you will be paying income tax on host of things. This amount will be adjusted in total tax paid during your tax filing. You may or may not get a refund.

On the other hand, assuming you are a salaried employee and you always pay exact income tax every month and there are no other gains like capital gains tax on property sale, share market, mutual funds, rental income, interest income, other income etc etc, then when you file your ITR returns, the software will detect that you have paid more tax than what was needed, in this case, the whole amount 1% TCS will be returned to your bank account linked to ITR.

To get refund, you will have to file income tax, which means, if you buy in last year April, you will have to wait till this year April to get refund.
pogo0120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 08:19   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
84.monsoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,324
Thanked: 3,628 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
How to claim the refund on the TCS paid?

You will need to submit your tax return for the financial year and there, you can off-set the TCS paid agaist the tax you owe.


If you do not owe tax, you will still need to submit tax return and claim a refund. It will take years to get the money back!
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 09:05   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 511
Thanked: 1,999 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dips View Post
So it seems the dealer manipulated the discount such that he did not have to pay the 1% TCS, however, I had already paid him this amount as per original calculation.
My invoice does not show the TCS anywhere but the dealer has assured me he will provide a TCS certificate soon.
Can you please let us know if the dealer provided you the TCS certificate?

I almost went for this promotional scheme sometime back. Didn't know dealers play with this amount too.
JithinR is online now  
Old 4th March 2020, 09:16   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,567
Thanked: 5,842 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
If you do not owe tax, you will still need to submit tax return and claim a refund. It will take years to get the money back!
Certainly not in all cases! For salaried taxpayers the turnaround time for refund is 2-3 months IF there is no disparity, at least in BLR. I am unaware of those with combined incomes though.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 17:55   #113
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

To update on this TCS discussion, since the dealer did not provide me the TCS certificate, I escalated the matter to their accounting department and after few communications (and a strongly worded email), they agreed to refund the TCS amount collected from me. I got it adjusted in amount of extended warranty that I purchased from them. So all in all, finally there was no TCS paid by them so they returned back that amount to me.
Dips is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 18:33   #114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dips View Post
To update on this TCS discussion, since the dealer did not provide me the TCS certificate, I escalated the matter to their accounting department and after few communications (and a strongly worded email), they agreed to refund the TCS amount collected from me. I got it adjusted in amount of extended warranty that I purchased from them. So all in all, finally there was no TCS paid by them so they returned back that amount to me.
Was the ex-showroom value above 10L? Then it is illegal to not deposit the TCS. You can check your form 26AS to see whether the dealer has deposited TCS. When I brought my car the dealer didn't give me any TCS receipt but within a week I could see the amount deposited against my PAN in form 26AS.
nagr22 is offline  
Old 4th March 2020, 19:17   #115
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

No, the ex-showroom value was just Rs. 100 short of 10 Lac!!. So thats how they played with the discounted price, trying to get me pay higher amount towards "TCS" but actually never had TCS applicable on base price.
Dips is offline  
Old 4th March 2020, 19:39   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dips View Post
No, the ex-showroom value was just Rs. 100 short of 10 Lac!!. So thats how they played with the discounted price, trying to get me pay higher amount towards "TCS" but actually never had TCS applicable on base price.
Thats interesting. My car too came below 10L ex-showroom after discounts but the dealer still made me pay full road tax and TCS citing the legality. I could also verify from KA RTO sources that irrespective of discounts one has to pay the full road tax. I assumed the same about TCS and anyways was not bothered to ask as I will be getting it back

Last edited by BlackPearl : 4th March 2020 at 19:48. Reason: Typo
nagr22 is offline  
Old 4th March 2020, 20:41   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,567
Thanked: 5,842 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Thats interesting. My car too came below 10L ex-showroom after discounts but the dealer still made me pay full road tax and TCS citing the legality. I could also verify from KA RTO sources that irrespective of discounts one has to pay the full road tax. I assumed the same about TCS and anyways was not bothered to ask as I will be getting it back
Your dealer is correct. In KA, the exshowroom price as filed formally by the manufacturer is sacrosanct. No amount of discounting will lower either the road tax or the TCS requirement. Only when the official exshowroom price is lowered and new price list filed with them, will the RTO take any cognizance.

This has happened because unscrupulous dealers were giving huge discounts on luxury vehicles (on paper) to lower the road taxes, yet collecting back the false discount provided in cash.
itwasntme is offline  
Old 13th May 2020, 17:56   #118
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 844
Thanked: 1,119 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Will the just announced 25% reduction in TCS rate impact the price of cars above 10 Lacs. Will the TCS levied now be .75% instead if the 1% that is levied now.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 20:11   #119
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 4,151
Thanked: 12,739 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Will the just announced 25% reduction in TCS rate impact the price of cars above 10 Lacs. Will the TCS levied now be .75% instead if the 1% that is levied now.
Yes, for individuals. But, TCS is adjustable against your IT liability.

You can get refund for this amount or get it adjusted against your IT demand so this is not an additional tax and accordingly no Actual benefit ( small notional interest costs maybe)
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 20:18   #120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: -
Posts: 740
Thanked: 662 Times
Default Re: 1% TCS on vehicles above Rs. 10 lakh from June 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes, for individuals. But, TCS is adjustable against your IT liability.

You can get refund for this amount or get it adjusted against your IT demand so this is not an additional tax and accordingly no Actual benefit ( small notional interest costs maybe)
This has always confused me. Sorry if I am going off topic, however, it would greatly help if you shed some light on :

- Can salaried people claim the TCS in their IT returns?
- If yes, under which section does this fall in?
- When you say 'Adjusted' what exactly does that mean?
ObsessedByFIAT is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks