Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2016, 08:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
@ HydroFuel

What we used to see on road was the 800cc Matiz with 52 bhp and 3 cylinder engine (M100). The one shown here has a 1000cc, 4 cylinder engine (M150). If you can remember the Matiz we used to see, had its registration plate on the rear bumper, not on the rear hatch door as shown here and the tail lights were also slightly different from the one shared here. The one shown here is a 2004 model where as in India, Matiz was launched in 1998/99.
Attachment 1513629
Are we sure that this was meant to be launched in India? It's been several years, but I believe that this is the prototype that was intended for export to the UK.
Old 5th June 2016, 11:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Came across a 2010 manufactured Kizashi that Autopsyche had spruced up (botched-up IMO) for the 2012 Autoexpo. The car can be seen with 18 inch alloys and one 17 inch indian/russian version on one of the wheels.

have seen it do the rounds on classifieds for more than a year: https://www.olx.in/item/maruti-suzuk...tml#49cce78c2b

PS: All cars intended for sale in India were manufactured during the 2011 period.
Attached Thumbnails
Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-203114335_4_1000x700_marutisuzukikizashiautotopmodel2010cars.jpg  

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-203114335_6_1000x700_marutisuzukikizashiautotopmodel2010.jpg  

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-203114335_1_1000x700_marutisuzukikizashiautotopmodel2010gurgaon.jpg  

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th June 2016 at 11:11.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 15:11   #18
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to the list:

Hyundai Atos Prime -
I have seen atleast one Atos Prime in Ranchi, no pics though.

Hyundai i20 3-door - I have seen a green i20 3-door at Mulund, Mumbai often. I had clicked pics too, can't seem to find now.

Dacia Duster - I had clicked pics of a Dacia Duster in Pune and had posted in the forum as well sometime back.

Fiat Doblo & Fiat Qube - Many pics already in the forum, often spotted in Pune.

All these above cars were registered and were either made in India, then exported elsewhere or else imported for some testing activity but later they were used as company cars in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Very few people actually know what MH01V521 was, on those two unforgettable days! .
Sir ji, I believe the amazing story of Thar's build up that you had shared with me was about the MH01V521. More pics and videos please !

Last edited by //M : 6th June 2016 at 15:12.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 15:13   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The purpose of this thread is to collect and highlight any cars that were planned to be officially launched in India and were homologated but were cancelled due to some of the other reasons and yet, they can be spotted somewhere doing rounds in the hands of private owners.
Off-topic: Sid, you were known as the scoop master of Team BHP earlier. Nowadays, no scoops from your end, and ended up creating this "yester-year scopp" thread!! Did you change your profession / lost interest?
Or, started your own automobile magazine / site?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 6th June 2016 at 15:22.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 15:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The Tata Magna:
I remember looking at the Magna concept in an old edition of Auto India and I found it really good looking back then!

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-wallpapers_tata_concepts_2000_1_b.jpg

Source: www.favcars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Came across a 2010 manufactured Kizashi that Autopsyche had spruced up (botched-up IMO) for the 2012 Autoexpo.
You are right. The pictures of this Kizashi was posted by GTO in the Auto Expo 2012 thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2638681

Probably MSIL tarted up the Kizashi from the 2010 Auto Expo which can be seen in this post. That should explain the model year being 2010.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1666918

Afterwards, it must have been sold off through one of the True Value outlets in Gurgaon. Just a guess.

Last edited by Viju : 6th June 2016 at 15:29.
Viju is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 15:48   #21
BHPian

Love this thread! Brings back SO many memories of some blunders made by our auto industry.
Screwdriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 19:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I remember looking at the Magna concept in an old edition of Auto India and I found it really good looking back then!
Attachment 1514635
Thanks for jogging my memory . Also reminded me of the Tata Calypso from 1992 (back then Tata Motors was Telco), an MPV. A quick search around our forums revealed this:

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-3536.jpg

Source: Team-BHP member Bluengel180's post

Quite in line with this thread is a thread started by v12 in 2004! Take a look at that thread for more pics, including that of the Tata Zing:

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-2000-tata-zing.jpg

Source: v12's thread

Last edited by Amartya : 6th June 2016 at 19:53.
Amartya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 00:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thanks for jogging my memory . Also reminded me of the Tata Calypso from 1992 (back then Tata Motors was Telco), an MPV. A quick search around our forums revealed this:

Attachment 1514740
damn ! THat looks so much like the Winger !!

Quote:
Quite in line with this thread is a thread started by v12 in 2004! Take a look at that thread for more pics, including that of the Tata Zing:

Attachment 1514741
If only Tata had pushed those concepts to Production, they would not have been playing catch up today ..
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 13:10   #24
BHPian

I remember seeing the Magna when I was a kid. My dad was with Tata Motors (telco then) and I had seen this car with a smashed windshield - still remember this.
I guess this was also covered in one of the auto expos as well. Not really sure why this did not make it into production then. Looks quite European (much like a Rover design) and really way better than the Indigo they launched later.

@Amartya - the Calypso has a striking resemblance to the Winger and the Zing is very much similar to the Nano. Looks like they did get it into production there :-)
Old 7th June 2016, 17:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
The Renault Modus was caught on Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi roads in 2011

Did they miss their ambition ?
[/IMG]
Maybe because Maruti launched the Ritz?
Old 7th June 2016, 17:33   #26
BANNED

I remember there was some news about Daewoo Nexia (2nd gen Cielo?) with a 2X-Cam engine. Any idea?
Old 7th June 2016, 17:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Amazing thread. Truly nostalgic to see some of the cars there. Also as an OT, I have this question in my mind for a long time - if automobile manufacturers preserve/retain a sample show-piece of all or some models manufactured by them? Say for example, the first Maruti 800 (SS80). Wouldn't it be truly nostalgic to see one of them now still being preserved as new ?

Last edited by rr_zen : 7th June 2016 at 18:02. Reason: Adding punctuation
Old 7th June 2016, 17:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Not a car but a LCV.

Eicher-Mitsubishi displayed a Canter LCV tractor trailer in one of the Auto Expo's during the 90's which I don't think made it into production.

Could not get a picture of it on the net and I gave away my magazine collection from then, so no pictures. The tractor was the same LCV that was being sold then , but in short wheel base and a trailer attached.
Old 7th June 2016, 20:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
I remember seeing the Magna when I was a kid. My dad was with Tata Motors (telco then) and I had seen this car with a smashed windshield - still remember this.
I guess this was also covered in one of the auto expos as well. Not really sure why this did not make it into production then. Looks quite European (much like a Rover design) and really way better than the Indigo they launched later.

@Amartya - the Calypso has a striking resemblance to the Winger and the Zing is very much similar to the Nano. Looks like they did get it into production there :-)

Do you remember seeing of the interior of the Magna? its a mystery. there is not a single photo or information about that.

Also few more pics of the Zing i found on Google.
Attached Thumbnails
Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-one_lakh_car.jpg  

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-zing-1.jpg  

Last edited by tushky : 7th June 2016 at 20:38.
Old 7th June 2016, 21:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

In the year 2008, I spotted this unknown car in Tata Motors plant. Any guess?

and a very very early prototype of Tata Ace magic or May be Tata venture
Attached Thumbnails
Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-unknown-car.jpg  

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-tataace.jpg  

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-ace.jpg  

Last edited by tushky : 7th June 2016 at 21:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks