Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 21:23   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
In the year 2008, I spotted this unknown car in Tata Motors plant. Any guess?
It looks more like a Toyota design.
Old 7th June 2016, 21:49   #32
BHPian

Re: Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I remember there was some news about Daewoo Nexia (2nd gen Cielo?) with a 2X-Cam engine. Any idea?
It wasn't just a news, it was launched! It was termed as next gen Cielo with1.6 liter twin cam set up(do not remember the output). Sadly it doomed in the market.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 22:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
damn ! THat looks so much like the Winger !!
If only Tata had pushed those concepts to Production, they would not have been playing catch up today ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
@Amartya - the Calypso has a striking resemblance to the Winger and the Zing is very much similar to the Nano. Looks like they did get it into production there :-)
Indeed, the Calypso does look very similar to the Winger they launched a decade and a half later. However, if I recall correctly, the Calypso was built on the 207 platform, and had the same 1948cc (68 or so Bhp) IDI diesel engine that powered the Sierra, the Estate and the first gen. Sumo. The Winger of course, is based on the Renault Trafic; Tata got the dies for the first gen. shipped over.

It's interesting because at that point of time, internationally, MPVs were a pretty big deal. Kind of similar to the popularity of SUV (in mini, mega and giga forms).
Old 7th June 2016, 23:45   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
... if I recall correctly, the Calypso was built on the 207 platform, and had the same 1948cc (68 or so Bhp) IDI diesel engine
As things are, the Winger was powered by the 1948 cc Turbo Diesel. The Dicor version came in recently.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 03:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I remember there was some news about Daewoo Nexia (2nd gen Cielo?) with a 2X-Cam engine. Any idea?
I remember seeing Nexia's advertisement in the news papar, guess I have saved a copy of that add somewhere. I am unable to find it now. I thought Nexia got launched just before Daewoo stopped its operation. is it wrong ?

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 8th June 2016 at 03:35.
arunrajk81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 06:35   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
I remember seeing Nexia's advertisement in the news papar, guess I have saved a copy of that add somewhere. I am unable to find it now. I thought Nexia got launched just before Daewoo stopped its operation. is it wrong ?
The Daewoo Nexia certainly got launched - it was on the roads in 2000-2001. Then it was just shut down.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 07:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I thought Nexia got launched just before Daewoo stopped its operation. is it wrong ?
You are right. The Nexia was indeed launched and quite a few were sold. It was basically an upgrade to the Cielo with a DOHC engine, more features and a few changes in exterior styling (spoilers, chrome, lamps etc). I used to find it good looking. The Cielo and Nexia were sold side-by-side.

There are a few threads on the forum itself like this one:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...woo-nexia.html

Borrowing a few pics from that thread by lamborghini.

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-3378.jpg
Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-3379.jpg
Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-3380.jpg
Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-3381.jpg

Quote:
In the year 2008, I spotted this unknown car in Tata Motors plant. Any guess?
Looks like a Daihatsu Sonica to me. It was a kei car sold somewhere from 2006 - 2010. Tata must have brought it down for bench-marking, packaging studies etc as is usual industry practice.

Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-20072009_daihatsu_sonica_carmudi_pakistan.jpg

Quote:
and a very very early prototype of Tata Ace magic or May be Tata venture
Rather than a prototype, it looks like a wood / clay model to me (usually made by styling department).
Viju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 07:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
The car was basically upgraded to take on the recent launches of that time like Ikon, Accent etc. But it didn't quite to well in the market and was rejected mainly due to its poor fuel economy.

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 8th June 2016 at 07:35.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 08:40   #39
BHPian

Not to forget our desi faired bike that never saw the light of the day, the Yezdi 250 Supersprint.
Based on the already powerful Yezdi Roadking, this had expansion chambers and slightly tuned engine. This actually looks good considering it was in around 93-95. I believe Autocar actually reviewed the bike, but for reasons unknown this project fizzled out and the company shut shop around 95-96.
Attached Thumbnails
Yesteryear scoops: Pre-production prototypes & unlaunched cars on our roads-supersprint1.jpg  

Roomy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 09:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Not to forget our desi faired bike that never saw the light of the day, the Yezdi 250 Supersprint.
I believe this was one of the many 'special projects' done by the R&D engineers in the Ideal Jawa factory in Mysore.

Yezdi lost its battle to the Japanese 2 strokes way back in the 80's with their reliability, fuel efficiency (compared to the Yezdi) and better power-to-displacement ratio. Their inability to bring in new technology and innovative products basically led to their demise by 1996.

If you the see the bike in question, you can see that it was more of a prototype with after-market parts (the fairing) and even the headlamp unit is from a Kinetic Honda.
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 10:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
If you the see the bike in question, you can see that it was more of a prototype with after-market parts (the fairing) and even the headlamp unit is from a Kinetic Honda.
Indeed you have got an eagle’s eye man.

Yes, I cross verified with few images of the KH and the headlamp unit on this motorcycle is fairly identical.

Yezdi was known to be indigenous in product development and all their products borne the usual family straits. This model is a deviation in more than one aspect and the possibilities of Ideal-Jawa having introduced this product into the commercial market appears to be thin.

May be that the Yezdi in question was a result of customized modification and not a prototype of any "to-be-launched" product.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 8th June 2016 at 10:32.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 22:18   #42
BHPian

IIRC the Kazwa, from Rajah motors, should belong right here

fash_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 03:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
IIRC the Kazwa, from Rajah motors, should belong right here

Its sad that India's first MPV was not picked up. Any idea why it failed ?

From Tata, Aria name was planned for a two seater Sports Car rather than the MPV now.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/tata-aria-news

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 9th June 2016 at 03:55.
Old 9th June 2016, 08:30   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its sad that India's first MPV was not picked up. Any idea why it failed ?

From Tata, Aria name was planned for a two seater Sports Car rather than the MPV now.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/tata-aria-news
It is a direct rip off from the Renault Espace using contessa mechanicals. Any attempt to put it in production might have seen copyright issues. Additionally, the returns on manufacturing beedi's are far higher than investing a high amount of capital to make this car. End of the day, the Innova would eat it alive.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 08:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Additionally, the returns on manufacturing beedi's are far higher than investing a high amount of capital to make this car.
I guess you mistook Rajah as 'Kajah'. Rajah motors is basically a workshop which was in Kerala. I remember seeing this car in a famous Malayalam movie long back in my childhood days. The car in question was developed by Rajah along with some help from HM.

The car was made sometime in 1998-99,way before the Innova came into the picture. So I guess copy rights couldn't have been the issue.
Would've been great if this car made it to production though .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks