Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2016, 17:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works

Recent reports claim that Maruti Suzuki is working on an SHVS petrol variant of the Baleno premium hatchback. A few spy shots of the said model have also been leaked on the Internet, though the spotted model is reportedly in the export-spec. As a result, it is still not verified whether Maruti Suzuki would be introducing the Baleno petrol SHVS in the Indian market.

The spotted model houses a newly set up engine, which shares its base with the 1.2-litre, four-cylinder K-series unit. But the difference lies in the fact that the new engine packs dual injectors into one. This is probably the reason that the new model is expected to be called the Baleno DualJet. This change in the engine setup will likely boost power as well as economy figures of the Baleno.

The source of these images also claims that the new Baleno DualJet will require higher octane fuel, and is thus being tested in India to ascertain that it can easily run on the fuel readily available in the country. The Baleno DualJet is expected to be the country's first petrol powered car to feature the SHVS mild-hybrid technology.

Maruti Suzuki is also planning to launch an RS variant of the Baleno which will be powered by a 1.0-litre BoosterJet engine.

Source: Overdrive

Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-suzukibalenospiedaugust20164.jpg

Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-suzukibalenospiedaugust20165.jpg

Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-suzukibalenospiedaugust20163.jpg

Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-suzukibalenospiedaugust20161.jpg
dZired is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 18:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Recent reports claim that Maruti Suzuki is working on an SHVS petrol variant of the Baleno premium hatchback....

Attachment 1531810
Overall a good news. Maruti has always known for bad RS variants, this time it looks like they nailed it.

Reasons:
  1. A turbo-charged petrol engine
  2. Rear wheel disc (from spy pics)
  3. Cruise Control (from the above pic). I really hope they don't skip this.
  4. SVHS = a good price
Looks like they are set for a bump up in both power and features in this model and that's a stunning thing to have. I always wanted my next car to sport ACC & Cruise Control and this car's review on the FTD factor makes it a tempting option if these things come real.

A FTD petrol turbo car with good brakes and features! Add a good remap for 30% gains and we can have fun for a whole lot of time to come without the fear of "bans". The SVHS should allow them to price it very very well against the GT too. Knowing Maruti, this will be a freakin AWESOME BANG FOR THE BUCK! Looking forward to the launch now.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st July 2016 at 18:42.
Old 21st July 2016, 19:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Overall a good news. Maruti has always known for bad RS variants, this time it looks like they nailed it.

Reasons:
  1. A turbo-charged petrol engine
  2. Rear wheel disc (from spy pics)
  3. Cruise Control (from the above pic). I really hope they don't skip this.
  4. SVHS = a good price
I think you are confusing 2 different variants there. The 1.2 Dualjet engine has SVHS and is a NA engine whereas the RS has the Boosterjet engine which does not have the SVHS tech.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 22:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Will it also get excise benefits like the Ciaz\Ertiga? I believe it doesnt fall into a higher excise slab even now. So benefits might be limited. Wonder what prompted Maruti to develop this variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
SVHS = a good price
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The 1.2 Dualjet engine has SVHS and is a NA engine whereas the RS has the Boosterjet engine which does not have the SVHS tech.
It's SHVS guys - Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 23:46   #5
BHPian

This doesn't make any sense to me. What will be the benefit to the customers if they introduce SHVS on a sub 4 metre car with a 1.2l engine? I can understand if they bring in the 1.4l engine with SHVS, but on a 1.2l engine? Wouldn't they still be taxed at 12℅ for the excise duty? Also didn't MS actually account recently that they are not keen on introducing SHVS on compact cars?

Some how this article doesn't sound true to me.
y2ksrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 01:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me. What will be the benefit to the customers if they introduce SHVS on a sub 4 metre car with a 1.2l engine? I can understand if they bring in the 1.4l engine with SHVS, but on a 1.2l engine? Wouldn't they still be taxed at 12℅ for the excise duty? Also didn't MS actually account recently that they are not keen on introducing SHVS on compact cars?

Some how this article doesn't sound true to me.
K12 dual jet engine with SVHS is 1242 CC. Maruti is already producing this engine and exporting it to Europe. A petrol car with above 1200 CC engine doesn't enjoy sub 4 metre tax benefits. It's a clever move to plonk SVHS in dual jet engine. This would again help in tax benefits like Ciaz & Ertiga with SVHS.

I feel Maruti would stop current 1.2 engine. It doesn't make sense to sell 1.2, 1242 CC dualjet and 1.0 Boosterjet together.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 22nd July 2016 at 01:02.
Dr.Naren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

It would be a smart move by Maruti if the SHVS would bring this 1242 cc engine under the 12% tax slab. This way they can use the same engine for domestic use as well as exports by smartly circumventing the below 1200cc rule and say goodbye to the current 1.2 i.e. 1197 cc engine.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:52   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed with the others. It only makes sense if the petrol is larger than 1.2L. Reason:

1. The excise duty on hybrids is 12.5%. The Baleno is already in the 12% bracket (sub-4 meter and <1.5L diesel).

2. Second part of the answer is in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
  • Cars have just gotten more expensive! This is over and above the price hikes that auto manufacturers rolled out in the new year. Effective immediately is a new 'infrastructure cess'. Citing pollution & traffic concerns, the FM has imposed an infrastructure cess of:
    1% on sub-4 meter petrol, LPG & CNG cars with an engine <1.2 liters
    2.5% on sub-4 meter diesel cars with an engine <1.5 liters
    4% on all other cars (i.e. bigger cars & SUVs)
The Ciaz & Ertiga are over 4 meters in length. Hence, they are eligible for a higher excise slab as well as the 4% infrastructure cess. SHVS brings their excise duty down to 12.50% and also exempts them from this 4% infrastructure cess.

An SHVS for the Baleno would bring lesser $$$ benefits than the cost of the mild hybrid system. Makes economic sense for Maruti in bigger cars, but not the sub-4 meter ones.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:07   #9
BHPian

But in those cities where the Odd-Even rule is/will be imposed, those looking to buy a hatch will go for one with SVHS. Will make more sense to buy a Baleno which you can use for 365 days a year (being a "Hybrid") rather than some other car like the Elite i20 which you cant use half the days.

So sales would go up.
Ramon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 13:12   #10
BHPian

Considering the sheer number of cars they could potentially sell (Baleno, Swift, Dzire, etc) with this technology, it might make financial sense with economies of scale kicking in.

Also, as per THIS article, mileage goes up! Imagine the tagline: "kitna deti hai" changing to "ab aur bhi deti hai"!

Quote:
Headline figures are 65.7mpg on the European combined cycle (9mpg better than the Dual-less 1.2 it replaces)
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 15:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why MSIL is not converting S-Cross into SHVS? This will reduce the taxes and make it an attractive preposition. Last month the car sales figure reported just 110 shipments of S-Cross to dealers. Is this not a warning sign for MSIL.

While there are shots of facelifts doing rounds on the internet, it is all the more important for MSIL to bring the product within the regular sales band of any competent product, which I am sure S-Cross is !

Get 1.6 with SHVS make Alpha 1.6 available at say 12 Lac price, it will be picked up immediately.
Old 22nd July 2016, 17:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Wonder why MSIL is not converting S-Cross into SHVS? This will reduce the taxes and make it an attractive preposition. Last month the car sales figure reported just 110 shipments of S-Cross to dealers. Is this not a warning sign for MSIL.

While there are shots of facelifts doing rounds on the internet, it is all the more important for MSIL to bring the product within the regular sales band of any competent product, which I am sure S-Cross is !

Get 1.6 with SHVS make Alpha 1.6 available at say 12 Lac price, it will be picked up immediately.
110 units is due to production constraints, thanks to fire at Subros plant. Maruti has still not commenced full production for S-Cross. Priority is given for Brezza and Baleno. S-Cross has a waiting period now.

Maruti has good opportunity to plonk SVHS unit in S-Cross facelift. I doubt for 1.6 though. Maruti has already given up on this engine. No fresh imports in 2016!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 22nd July 2016 at 17:54.
Old 1st September 2016, 08:09   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki is all set to makes its new launches starting with Baleno to make them more efficient , powerful, affordable and thus also gearing up for the new upcoming norms.
As per the new norms with safety and emissions coming shortly Maruti Suzuki continues testing the Baleno of which will comply with strict emission norms. The car seen here has rear disc brakes.

Quote:
1.2 Petrol engine will make around 85 BHP and can deliver OVER 20 km/l when it comes to claiming official claimed numbers
Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-balenopetroltestingmumbai.jpg
Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-balenoreardiscboosterjet.jpg
Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-2016balenoboosterjetengine.jpg
Quote:
One such capability this platform gives is making the engines more efficient and powerful as it can receive a hybrid package.

The package includes a larger battery, a new alternator where it saves the power once the brakes are applied. SHVS is also not new to the market. The model was first seen on the Ciaz and Ertiga where it came with the 1.3 diesel and it offered more efficient than before. The fuel efficiency numbers were high and it boosted the sales as the price reduction, aka hybrid concession, which the government gives makes it more popular.
Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st September 2016 at 08:22.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 13:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno with SHVS mild hybrid developed and under production. Currently only on export model. India launch late 2017.

In the European markets, the Baleno gets the SHVS tech with the 1.2-litre DualJet petrol engine, while India is likely to feature the model in the diesel avatar.

Quote:
The only reason Maruti Suzuki is not introducing this version in India as yet is due to the massive demand pressure on the Baleno. The company worries that adding the SHVS will only make the model's appeal higher - on price and mileage, adding to the pressure on production - and resulting in an even higher waiting period. The SHVS unit doesn't use expensive technology and is a cost effective solution to enhance a car's fuel efficiency - though only slightly.
There is a greater advantage in India, the SHVS unit qualifies the car to get a subsidy under the government FAME initiative
Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-13.jpg
Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-11.jpg
Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-14.jpg
Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-12.jpg

1.2 Dualjet SHVS Specs ( Global)

Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-q.jpg
Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-r.jpg
Rumour: Maruti Baleno Petrol SHVS in the works-s.jpg

CnB

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th October 2016 at 14:06.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 16:25   #15
BHPian

So, will this have an effect on the resale value of the existing 1.2 litre Petrol owners when the SHVS powered 1.2 litre Petrol engine launched?
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks