Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2006, 19:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Actually toyota positions the innova as a car[even though it is not]
in the markets it is being sold.So they would not like it tamper with that image created.

In markets like ours there is very little demand for a luxury van.At present some would be suv buyers too may go in for the innova but once sliding doors are fitted they will turn away from the innova

Remember the innova is being sold as an SUV+Sedan,ie a car with the road presence of an suv,never is the term van being used by toyota specifically.
Old 13th October 2006, 06:41   #17
BANNED

What is the problem with sliding doors ?

I've always heard that the vehicles with sliding doors are most revered in the foreign countries.
Old 13th October 2006, 09:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
What is the problem with sliding doors ?

I've always heard that the vehicles with sliding doors are most revered in the foreign countries.
You heard it wrong! Having lived in the US for extended periods of time, not a lot of people like vans precisely because of their soccer mom image. Sure vans are more comfortable and not as expensive to run as SUVs so it is popular with people who have young kids. However, invariably most of these people graduate to SUVs once the kids get a little bigger.

Although the Toyota Sienna in the US is very comfortable for long drives with features such as laser cruise control, power folding third row, power lift gate, power sliding doors etc., for Indian road conditions a real SUV may drive much better in my opinion.

Toyota should've introduced the Fortuner instead of Innova in India. If they had priced it right around Rs.12L, I think most wouldn't be buying CR-V or Tucson.
Old 13th October 2006, 09:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Actually toyota positions the innova as a car[even though it is not]
in the markets it is being sold.So they would not like it tamper with that image created.
Remember the innova is being sold as an SUV+Sedan,ie a car with the road presence of an suv,never is the term van being used by toyota specifically.
Toyota has been trying to position as SUV + Sedan but people can't be taken for a ride. Only those buyers who are more interested in the last two letters of SUV would opt for it. It looks and feels like a van and IMO is a van. Please don't get me wrong. I like Innova a lot and if not for its Van looks, I would have bought one.

Most of the people who buy Innova (and I have several in my friend circle) are those who have large family and wouldn't fit in a normal sedan or those who like to go for long drives with Kids and want a large vehicle with DVD player to keep the kids quiet . Exactly the kind of people who buy Vans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car crazy kid
exactly. as soon as they get sliding doors.( ehich they wont) theyll loose loads of buyers.
No way. Why would you say that ?
Old 13th October 2006, 12:55   #20
DRC
BHPian

Even for its van looks I would buy one when I need one. Yes When I need a van. I dont think any stigma needs to be attached to a van.
Old 13th October 2006, 16:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Innova looks like a Van in some angle but its SUV Car in reality and functionality. Its great vehicle for sure, I personally don't like sliding doors on innova, however for city use sliding doors are great to use, but for the size innova has its not ideal to drive in congested city. Innova has great engines for sure and also quiet good build quality, decent ride.

According to person I know who work for toyota toyota engines last long for indian conditions, much better than honda although honda is scores almost equal. Toyota scores better in ride comfort comapred with honda in India.

Its unfortunate toyota could not see targeted sales of Innova still since scorpio's SUV look for lesser than 10 lacs is killing innova, but Innova scores much more than scorpio in all respects except looks and road presense.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th October 2006, 17:32   #22
DRC
BHPian

I can see this thread is getting derailed.. but still...

Should we say Innova is suffereing from identity crisis... It is not a car so not selling in car segment loosing to C+, D sedans, not an SUV so not selling in SUV segment (loosing to Scorp nad Safari). Should have been an MUV to please tour operators, then Qualis did it well but innova is too pricey for it.

There of course of few takers for the one who is on no mans land.
Old 13th October 2006, 17:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
...Should we say Innova is suffereing from identity crisis...
When Innova was launched, Toyota expected to wean customers from sedan & SUV. Alas, they seem to have failed.
Old 6th January 2007, 13:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Either the innova is not selling or somebody from toyota did respond to our pleas[via email,telephone even]:

Toyota launches limited edition of Innova

New features have been added both in the interiors and exteriors to enhance the versatility, comfort and safety..........

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 6th January 2007 at 13:09.
Old 6th January 2007, 14:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is good news, After I baught Innova I have fit acessories of my choice which I call My Limited Edition Let me study the features of this limited edition of Innova, If I like I will modify my Innova to match that.

If its selling or not selling one thing is sure Innova is great product because its 8 seator car and can be driven like sedan in the City as well.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 6th January 2007, 14:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ravi sir Dont think this edition would be something you would have to match with,basically is a value addition to the G1 diesel model.

The limited version Innova offers side graphics limited edition logo, muffler cutter, rear spoilers.

Interiors of the limited edition are designed to offer more space and luxury. The limited edition comes with power windows and door locks. Innova interiors are now plusher with luxurious seats and insulators that reduce noise, vibrations and harshness, new fabric seats, door trims and fabric floor mats.
Old 7th January 2007, 19:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ok Rahul, Thanks for the info. Body Graphics I ordered for my Innova reached few days back and a day back shop guy has sticked it to
my Innova. It looks still better now, You can visit my TBHP Gallery http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/member-6825.html and photos taken in a hurry will post better photos. I am searching for a silver type material which I would like to insert in front main light assembly where Innova headlights are blackish, I am soon (couple of months) fitting pioneer dvd player with screen.

Its good toyota has come up limited edition of Innova. My relative who wokrs for Toyota factory said no chances of Innova being replaced by any toyota car/UV/MPV ... He said Innova has biggest inside space among all big available in India. After owning Innova I can see that.

I wish they launch Limited Edition of Innova in Petrol as well but I do understand no one is buying Petrol now days :( My relatives/friends who see my Innova once they come to know its Petrol says its white elephant. But still for my usage I think its great choice My dad like its super silky ride and as spacious as KingFisher plane.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th January 2007, 14:24   #28
BHPian

Rahul, How did you get the details about the extra features on the limited edition? I couldn't find anything on TKM website...
Old 9th January 2007, 19:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How did you get the details about the extra features on the limited edition?

Sorry did not quote my source in earlier post.

Cybernoon.com
Old 9th January 2007, 22:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Rahul by any chance do u have info if Innova will be getting an auto tranny??

Most Viewed