Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 13:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Plus, there are several customers out there who want a 50 lakh car, but not the flashy German badge.
Hi GTO - I didn't know this. What is the rationale behind having a 50 lakh budget and NOT having a German or British brand? Would someone settle for Toyota at 50 Lacs and Not Audis / BMWs / Mercs / Jaguars / Land Rovers ?

I do not have 50 lacs and will probably never buy a 50 lac car in my life.

I did not know there existed a customer base like this. I am curious to know what their thinking rationale would be on this. The average Soothsayers have always been telling that when I become a successful person in my career, I want to buy an Audi/BMW/Merc. I haven't heard anyone say I want to spend 50 lacs on an Alphard or a Toyota Sienna / Honda Odyssey.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 7th September 2016 at 14:01.
Old 9th September 2017, 23:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

In one of the earlier firms I worked in, the owners ( 3 brothers ) had a Toyota Alphard. The owners were 60+ and at times came together, but if not for the business cabin kind of seating and the it's ability to seat 4 people in absolute comfort, I don't see why some one would buy the alpahard. You see, the example I gave was of a first gen business family who liked to travel together, the next gen of the same family came in separate luxury cars! I'm not saying that this example reflects the market, but just feel that it's too late in the day for the Alphard.

I remember even Mercedes having a luxury Van in India in the late 90's and one of my friends who was from a industrial background was contemplating on buying, again very similar reason to what I stated earlier, 3-4 people wanting to travel together in utmost comfort, which I think is waning away this decade.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 08:02   #33
BHPian

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India

Spotted at Lower Parel, excuse the odd angles of the picture taken. The person didn't quiet like them been taken, said it was a consulate car and cannot have the number plates included. Fair enough. Here are the pictures. It's huge, had good road presence, and looks super comfortable.

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1505010682.452187.jpg
Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1505010697.170319.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 10th September 2017 at 15:36. Reason: Invalid attachments removed
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 08:23   #34
BHPian

A few years ago, nobody would have believed there was a market for a near 30 lakh (Innova pre GST was 27 lakhs OTR B'lore) UV, but the sales figures are here for everyone to see. If I wanted a purely chauffeur driven luxury vehicle, I wouldn't buy the Germans. A luxurious Toyota where I can amortise my expense over 10 years of fuss free ownership would be attractive!
Old 18th January 2018, 11:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

The global site for Alphard doesn't seem to give much info about specs.
http://www.toyota-global.com/showroo...esult/alphard/
Any other site available?
Old 18th January 2018, 12:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Sat in the car during a trip to Hong Kong - this van is quite popular there!

It's quiet, spacious, and comfortable! I personally really liked it, and wouldn't mind one for the chauffeur to ferry me around - think of it as a more premium & spacious Innova (the difference being similar to the Corolla v/s Camry).

However, pricing is key as is the availability of a diesel engine for it to do even remotely well (say even a 100 units a month).
Old 18th January 2018, 15:32   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the news is true (I'm a 50:50 on it), not having a diesel is going to hurt its prospects. The hybrid is good, but in India, big UVs = diesel only.
I disagree a bit there. I think given the diminishing relative price delta between Diesel and Petrol, a hybrid would be perfectly acceptable. More so when you consider this is a luxury car buyer who's buying into comfort and not speed, a hybrid is actually the ideal choice. Diesel like effective efficiency perhaps, limited compromise on boot space, peace of mind from adverse policy change on diesel. I'm sure if they've designed as a hybrid it must be having enough grunt too to get the job done. Again its not a sedan where the customer will look at the fun to drive factor too much.

Quote:
No chance of it coming at 50 lakhs. The Camry Hybrid is now a 40 lakh car.
I assume you mean it would be (much?) costlier. I would think given that the diesel innova retails at ~25 lakh and the Camry at about 45 on road, this would retail at at least 50/55 lakh (if not much more). That's to me is the biggest fly in the ointment. Can it realistically sell for a much higher amount. Would someone not prefer the Mercedes R class for instance at that high a price.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th January 2018 at 15:36.
Old 26th January 2019, 06:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

I run into this Alphard near the Pune airport once in a while on my way to work. One has to see it to believe it's road presence. It is absolutely imposing!!! That front grille in your rear view mirror makes you give way. The side profile is massive and it does look like an extremely comfortable and premium car. Very very roomy with massive glass envoloping you all around. Had blinds/ shades inside for the passengers drawn out so couldn't peep in.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-p_20190124_084258.jpg  

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-p_20190124_084328.jpg  

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 26th January 2019 at 06:49.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 01:28   #39
BHPian

This will be replacement to the Innovas and Fortuners used by the Politicians. We could see some custom modifications to this for safety of politicians if introduced. I could see most of state cabinet ministers and CMs use either Innova or Fortuner. If I am not wrong, ex CM of TN Late Mr M.Karunanidhi used to be driven around in Alphard in his final years. It was custom designed to incorporate wheel chair ramps and all for his special needs.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 18:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

I saw a black color Alphard parked in Koregaon Park, Pune two days ago. I think its the same one spotted two posts above. The size and the front grill too looks. I was too amazed by its road presence to click any photos. It was not hidden by any way, so I doubt whether its launch is imminent.
Old 1st July 2019, 22:40   #41
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Pics tweeted by Ambassador Sam of the Alphard Hybrid E-Four.

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-dypsimu0aaohjs.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-dypsh_vaae3nof.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-dyxf3wvuaa3sqd.jpg
PPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:38   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I run into this Alphard near the Pune airport once in a while on my way to work. One has to see it to believe it's road presence. It is absolutely imposing!!! That front grille in your rear view mirror makes you give way. The side profile is massive and it does look like an extremely comfortable and premium car. Very very roomy with massive glass envoloping you all around. Had blinds/ shades inside for the passengers drawn out so couldn't peep in.

Saw the same one today on Nagar road. Sorry for the bad quality of picture. Whoever driving this beast is rather driving humbly and responsibly.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-20200123_095115_hdr.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks