Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2006, 19:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...434488,00.html

The above article is a more recent one,dated Aug 31'06.

Volkswagen is planning to invest €400 million to build a new factory in India. The final decision is likely to come at the next meeting of VW's board in September. But it's a move that is expected to generate massive controversy -- not least of all because Volkswagen's European factories are currently operating at under capacity. The company is even considering closing plants in Spain and Belgium -- a move that would result in mass layoffs.

Well that meeting came and went yet nothing happened. One of the problems VW faced in India was from the Andhra Govt which was promised a VW plant in their state and their was a lot of related scam and scandal. But now VW seems to have found a way out of that mess by locating the Audi plant in Andhra.

They seem to have freed themselves to locate the VW plant closer to their Skoda operations or wherever they want. Last heard they had finalized some location near Pune.
Old 14th October 2006, 22:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
What about Skoda ??????
IMO Skoda succeded in C+ segment becaue they were competing with primarily Japanese and Korean cars (and brands) so the German build quality worked its magic. Look at what happenned to Superb though, it hasn't exactly set the sales chart on fire.

My point is that VW (& Skoda) will do fine as long as they don't compete with Premium brands like Merc, BMW & Audi.
Old 15th October 2006, 10:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

>> My point is that VW (& Skoda) will do fine as long as they don't compete with Premium brands like Merc, BMW & Audi.

Skoda's pricing chart for the Superb in UK (highest taxes in Europe and closest to Indian prices) is here and you can see that the 'Superb' on offer in India is the higest priced 'Superb' model in UK @ around £21,700.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/skoda3g/conte...b/pricing.aspx

Just imagine how much more Superb sales Skoda could have achieved if they had launched the base-level Superb models sold in UK for £15180; in India as well.

All the cramped for room rear-seat wallas with drivers would have bought a Superb instead of any other car.

Last edited by lurker : 15th October 2006 at 10:16.
Old 15th October 2006, 10:46   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs
Golf-Starting 5.5 lacs.
Jetta-Starting 8 lacs.
The day a mainstream German manufacturer offers economical cars to the masses in India will be the day all American and Japanese manufactuers commit suicide .

If at all VW seriously establishes ops in India, they will predictably go thru the SKD and the CBU route for their different car segments.

With that a Golf probably will start at around close to 8-9.5 lakhs and the Jetta at around 10-12 lakhs
Old 15th October 2006, 22:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
>>
Just imagine how much more Superb sales Skoda could have achieved if they had launched the base-level Superb models sold in UK for £15180; in India as well.
True. Superb would do great if they have a 16L version in India but then who would buy Laura
Old 16th October 2006, 12:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

I feel they could launch the Superb with the 2.0 L TDI engine if Skoda phases-out the old Octavia in India and positions the Laura as the New Octavia instead as it does everywhere else.
Old 16th October 2006, 13:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yep, could agree more.. I think the group is kinda confused with their strategy in India. Skoda is the VFM option elsewhere but here they are positioned differently. VW low end hatches wont be a problem but their other cars would bleed. The Jetta has to be positioned higher than the Octavia atleast and there would be no/little takers! Passat at 20 to 22L - how many buyers again? Here is my FREE advice to them

Fox - 4-5L
Fabia/Golf - 6-7L
Octavia/L&K - to be phased out
Laura - 10-12L
Jetta - 12-15L
Superb - 18-20L
Passat - 22-24L
Old 18th October 2006, 15:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think VW has unkowingly dug itself into a hole even before their first car has been launched in India thanks to Skoda's premium pricing. The Octavia is the Golf/Jetta which means VW would'nt price the Jetta at Octy levels. The new MK V Jetta is avaliable here as the Skoda Laura at about Rs. 18 lakhs so the Jetta will be priced higher and it will flop badly. Internationally, too, the Jetta is priced slightly higher then Civics and Corolla's but then they do come with more standard features. Problem is in India they want to get into Accord, Camry levels with base engine levels. Knowing how crazy and clueless the Europeans are in any non-European markets, I wouldn't be surprised if they price the Jetta slightly over Laura touting it as german engineered. As for the Golf, I don't think we will be able to buy it anytime soon.

Last edited by amit : 18th October 2006 at 15:57.
Old 19th October 2006, 08:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

More than When .......what I am waiting is " what volkswagen " are they going to release....without hurting their sister concern Skoda, I mean everything seems to be right slap in Skoda's territory, be it Superb or Fabia or Ocktavia..or for that matter even roomster.....how are they going to release a model without affecting Skoda ? Or are they planning India as a 80% export oriented Plant ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks