Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 15:32   #16
BHPian

Re: FY 2016: Petrol vs Diesel sales figures from Maruti

I think we should only look at the share in the models have both the fuel variants. Rather include models where only one fuel option available. Currently, 7 models have petrol and diesel variants and the share is petrol - 58% and diesel - 42%.

The share is near opposite of 2009, when I bought a Ritz VDi. Decreased petrol vs diesel price gap, increased initial investments in diesel cars, better FF of petrol car and uncertain Govt policy may be the reason of this change in the scenario.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Doc1.docx (15.2 KB, 707 views)

Last edited by gaddiwale : 14th October 2016 at 15:35.
gaddiwale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 15:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Surprised that such a small proportion of Baleno buyers are going for the diesel. Is Maruti actively pushing the petrol here?
Below are the prices for Zeta and Alpha variant, from Baleno thread.

Zeta Petrol - 7.72, Diesel - 9.20
Alpha petrol - 8.55, Diesel - 10.05

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...011_153335.jpg

So its almost 1.50 lakhs difference.
The big reason for people preferring petrol here is the good fuel efficiency that petrol is delivering and the initial low cost of ownership.

For such a big car , Delta variant in petrol is extremely VFM.

Regarding Ertiga, it is finding preference as Cab at least here in Pune with Vdi being the choice.

Failure is celerio has resulted in Wagon R and Alto not getting that 800cc diesel mill.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 15:56   #18
BHPian

Re: September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Interesting data w.r.t Petrol Vs Diesel variants, but available only for Maruti Suzuki.

1. Maruti's Top-3 models are Petrol only and it shows in these figures with Petrol variants contributing 67% of the total sales.

2. Celerio's Diesel variants sales tells the story why Maruti wanted to stop the production of diesel models of Celerio. Also, in the last 6 months, only 6% of diesel Celerio's sold.

3. Stark contrast in Swift twins' Petrol Vs Diesel numbers - Swift selling more Petrol variants and Dzire selling more Diesel variants. Any thoughts on this?

4. Petrol variants contribute almost close to 80% of Baleno's sales - not a surprise while going through the Baleno's thread here in T-BHP. Once Baleno RS is launched, this number is increase more.

5. As expected, Diesel variants dominates the Ciaz and Ertiga, both cars where the SHVS reduces the gap between price of Diesel and Petrol variants.

6. If Petrol variants of Brezza are launched, the Petrol dominance for Maruti Suzuki might also increase again.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2016 at 08:34. Reason: Image posted at the start of the thread
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 16:03   #19
BHPian

That means Fiat gets royalty on 44492 (except celerio) ddis engines monthly and approx 218609 for 6 months , letting the sale of their cars languish and dealerships decreasing. Technology has its BENEFITS.
w8763 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 16:05   #20
BHPian

Expect for the Baleno, the diesels seem to still hold their ground.

But Baleno is sure a surprise with 80% of the sales going to the petrol variants. One reason I can think of is the AT variant only being available on the petrol and that could be a significant addition to the petrol Baleno numbers.

Also, the 'summing up' of the diesels and petrol in this thread could be misleading because the top sellers like Alto and WagonR dont have a diesel. THe right way is compare only cars that have both variants and see which variants sell higher.
Old 14th October 2016, 16:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
3. Stark contrast in Swift twins' Petrol Vs Diesel numbers - Swift selling more Petrol variants and Dzire selling more Diesel variants. Any thoughts on this?
This could be because of taxi segment where DZire sales are more than Swift.

Last edited by chakri400 : 14th October 2016 at 16:22.
Old 14th October 2016, 16:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
This could be because of taxi segment where DZire sales are more than Swift.
Nope. If you see Dzire Tour's numbers are given separately where only Diesel variants are being sold.
Old 14th October 2016, 17:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Key Points:
  • Overall for both September 2016 and for FY 2016, the balance is skewed almost 70:30 in favor of Petrol. This is not very surprising considering the petrol dominance has been making a comeback for some time now. In addition, the high volume sellers like Alto, Wagon R are petrol only models, so not much of a surprise.
Source: Autopunditz
I don't buy these numbers. Most of the sales come from petrol only models like Alto twins, Wagon R, Omni, Eeco etc. All are small cars and budget cars where only petrol models are available and considered. So to say balance of 70:30 in favor of petrol is not 100% true. We need t calculate ratio from cars ranging above 5 lacs where both petrol and diesel models are available. That will give us the clear picture in my opinion. Anyways thanks for the numbers
Old 14th October 2016, 18:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I don't buy these numbers. So to say balance of 70:30 in favor of petrol is not 100% true. We need t calculate ratio from cars ranging above 5 lacs where both petrol and diesel models are available. That will give us the clear picture in my opinion.
Going by your logic, the % is still 58:42 in favour of petrol (56:44 in Sep'16)

FY 2016: Petrol vs Diesel sales figures from Maruti-pd.jpg

Note:

* I have excluded Ritz & Dzire tour in Sep'16
* Have excluded Dzire tour in Q1 & Q2 cumulative sales

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 14th October 2016 at 18:29.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 20:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Came across the split of sales between Petrol and Diesel from Maruti for September 2016 and also for FY'16 up until now (April - September 2016).
Have compared September 2013 with September 2016. Overall impact is 3% BUT taking only diesel cars, difference is 10%. This is significant coming from the market leader and I feel that's the way the market might move in near future.

Also, figures might immediately move to 15% once petrol Brezza / S-Cross is launched.
Attached Thumbnails
FY 2016: Petrol vs Diesel sales figures from Maruti-dvsp.jpg  

avdhesh15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 21:13   #26
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Nope. If you see Dzire Tour's numbers are given separately where only Diesel variants are being sold.
There are regular DZires which I see in the Uber/ Ola fleet
Old 17th October 2016, 04:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Surprised that such a small proportion of Baleno buyers are going for the diesel. Is Maruti actively pushing the petrol here?
More than marketing I guess the point in favor of Baleno petrol is lack of competition. If you look at alternative premium petrol hatches(i20/Jazz) in that price range, none perform as good or are as fuel efficient. And since that segment majorly consists of self-drivers features+FTD does matter. That's where maruti baleno petrol scores IMO.

Yes we have the GT TSi but then that's in a different price bracket & has its own share of shortcomings(rear space/A.S.S).

However if you come to diesel counterparts the story is different. Almost all the hatches come with FTD diesel engines and hence, Baleno diesel doesn't get too many brownie points here.

Last edited by SoumenD : 17th October 2016 at 04:50.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 12:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
There are regular DZires which I see in the Uber/ Ola fleet
True, a number of the regular petrol Dzires and Ritz's are converted to CNG straight out of the showroom. So while the numbers may seem skewed in favor of petrol, it's a lot of gas (CNG).
Old 20th October 2016, 13:04   #29
BHPian

Interesting information Rajeev(some very surprising results too). Very useful for prospective car buyers.
Old 26th October 2016, 20:29   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
More than marketing I guess the point in favor of Baleno petrol is lack of competition. If you look at alternative premium petrol hatches(i20/Jazz) in that price range, none perform as good or are as fuel efficient. And since that segment majorly consists of self-drivers features+FTD does matter. That's where maruti baleno petrol scores IMO.
If you look at this in a different perspective, for someone who is interested in a diesel car in this segment, i20 seems to be a better option. It's loaded with features, great looks (subjective) and a decent performer. So, diesel car buyers might ditch Maruti and go with Hyundai. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Midas : 26th October 2016 at 20:30. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks