Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Celerio Diesel may be discontinued

Thank you to MyCarHelpline for the heads up!

Maruti Suzuki has discontinued sales of the Celerio diesel in India. While the automaker hasn't made an official announcement about the step, the updated price list of the Celerio on the official website only shows prices of the petrol variants.

The Celerio was initially launched in 2014 with petrol and CNG variants. The car got a satisfactory response, mainly driven by the AMT (automated manual transmission) variants. To further take advantage of the Celerio brand name, Maruti added a diesel engine option in 2015.

The Celerio Diesel was powered by a 793 cc, two-cylinder engine that put out 47 BHP and 125 Nm of torque while being mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. Being a two-cylinder unit, NVH levels of this DDiS 125 engine weren't acceptable, especially while idling. Moreover, the small capacity engine lacked in the power department, as compared to other cars available in the price band, something that was pointed in our official review as well. All these issues cumulatively resulted in a lukewarm response for the Celerio Diesel.

Maruti did try to revive the car's sales by offering some discounts, but could not surpass the limitations of the 793 cc two-cylinder engine block. Maruti dealers eventually offered discounts of up to Rs. 1 lakh on the Celerio Diesel during the last couple of months of 2016 to clear existing stocks.

Maruti Celerio Diesel may be discontinued-maruticeleriodiesel17.jpg

Maruti Celerio Diesel may be discontinued-celerio-price.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 2nd February 2017 at 17:41.
dZired is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:49   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Celerio Diesel may be discontinued

Oh well, I have never actually been a big fan of the Celerio. The diesel was even a disaster in terms of what it offered to the customer. This clearly shows how the Indian customers have matured over the years and how you cant really fool them with a sub-par product. Datsun Go is another example where bare bone car was being pushed to the customer which again resulted in poor sales.

Maruthi Suzuki has been struggling with their car strategy in this price point. Ritz was one such car which was almost comparable and I was under the impression Ignis would take this slot. I have never been so wrong.

Thanks for sharing
ramgkulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

O God, I am glad that Maruti laid it to rest. I was at a hotel and could hear a vehicle approaching, in my mind, I did imagine a 3 wheeler carrying water or LPG, to my shock/horror, I was surprised to see a brand new Celerio [just out of showroom].

I was left thinking, as to how did Maruti approve of this engine? It made noise which befits an auto, that too which is past its prime.

Please Maruti, don't rush a product/engine, next time round.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good Riddance!

It was one of the worst engines bolted to a car in the recent past.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 19:15   #5
BHPian

Just in 1.5 years this is being discontinued.

What I fail to understand is that when the DDiS 125 was launched there was a decent hype about it being tested extensively for 4 to 5 lakh kms and validation before being presented to our market, yet it failed to impress. Simple things like noise levels and low power couldn't be solved in that phase ?

Maruti Suzuki knows the Indian Market well, but I guess the age of an informed and "won't accept anything below average" customer has begun.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 19:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally ! That 2-pot was almost crude. Even Tata did a better job of not getting the Nano in a diesel avatar.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 19:22   #7
BHPian

Thankfully for Maruti, diesel numbers have come down substantially.

This was a knee jerk reaction probably such that they could build on this engine and reduce the reliance on Fiat. With petrol sales increasing and Fiat in a slumber for their own cars, it didn't make sense for Maruti to continue this project further.

They've cut the project quickly which is good. Actually, good riddance! I had sat in this car, a brand new one, over a distance of 100km. I've never sat in something worse.
Old 2nd February 2017, 20:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

What will happen to those who own this car?

- Service and after sales support
- Resale (I am not sure if there is any market for this car even after having a Maruti Badge)
Old 3rd February 2017, 04:45   #9
BHPian

The engine is not dead. It is still in use in commercial line up.
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 05:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Good riddance is all I can say. Celerio diesel with that archaic two pot diesel never stood a chance in our market, specially after the launch of the Tiago. Celerio is a proper test bed for Maruti, they have successfully used this platform to test unknown waters, first with the AMT where they succeeded, and then the diesel engine which didn't take off.

It was a good strategy on their part to test these things on a new brand name, rather than on an established brand name like the Swift or the WagonR and then failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
What will happen to those who own this car?

- Service and after sales support
- Resale (I am not sure if there is any market for this car even after having a Maruti Badge)
While the resale will definitely take a hit(it wasn't as good as a Swift diesel anyway), the spares support will continue unfazed. Heck even the good old Zen diesel still gets support, while the engine itself is so rare that I hadn't seen it until a few days back.

The only difference can be ready availability of spare. But then they can always be ordered from Maruti.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:11   #11
BANNED

Mahindra Maxximo has to show the way for this Maruti's engine. Maruti should plonk the engine in an Omni or Eeco to find fruit in the good venture. They should use their engineering R&D to reduce the NVH and provide a better engine put in a bare bone body at 3.5 lac on-road to set the charts on fire. Viable? From Maruti's current pricing and positioning perspective, No.

With the Tiago's base variant at 5 lac on-road, Maruti's contender should stoop that lower with this mill for making Impact. The best time to launch such a car will be when the petrol/diesel price starts to yaw wider.
Small cars made you Maruti, don't forget that. A lot of competitors are waiting Maruti to go high handed there and confuse equation of affordability+premium perspective=Sales success, even with Maruti's vast service networks.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 3rd February 2017 at 08:24.
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

That has got to go down, as the quickest exit in the history of Maruti... A brand that still sells the Omni Even by our industry's standards, this is a really quick exit. The diesel was never really in the good books of anyone, and I think the launch of the Tiago diesel in the same price bracket really killed the Celerio DDiS. Good for the consumer!
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:31   #13
BHPian

Just saw a brand new Celerio Diesel taxi and thought: Not too popular even among the taxi crowd, wonder how many they are selling?

But what a relief! Had this been a hit, it would have begun a spiral to the bottom for the Indian car enthusiasts. Can't imagine a country full of put-putting Celerios - that would have been the trademark of India like the Russian Ladas of yore.

Last edited by mvadg : 3rd February 2017 at 08:32.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ah! the auto from Suzuki.Tried a big one of the Indian customers. Glad they didnt retry the same formula with Alto etc.. or would they now?
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:52   #15
BHPian

Good riddance! Maruti thought "Kitna deti hai?' is the only factor when people shop for hatchbacks/Maruti cars, but turns out it ain't the only factor anymore. People also need refinement and adequate levels of power as well, which the DDiS 125 clearly lacks.

DDiS 125 sounds so much like an engine for a Bajaj bike (DTS-i 125).
Avikbrio is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks