Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 10:37   #61
BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnijit View Post
But probably the question is that how many citizens are aware of this thing? Compare this with how many citizens are driving/riding on the roads.

Do we think that bike riders who do not wear helmets, drivers not wearing seat belts or talking on phone while driving ever realize that they made a mistake? If they would then they would have stopped, but they continue doing so.
You are probably right at the moment that people may not be aware of being slapped with fines. But the system is supposed to send SMS messages to the registered mobile number linked to the vehicle RC book. While this is still not happening most of the time, I believe this chink will be sorted out and over time you will start receiving messages every time you commit a violation.

The real pain point will come if you want to renew insurance, or transfer registration or some other activity of that nature. This will not be possible unless the fines are paid, with compounding. Once this happens, people will automatically start falling in line.

The challenge at the moment is that the execution chinks in the system need to be resolved ASAP otherwise confidence in its reliability will be eroded.
reverse_gear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 11:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Kolkata Police has been issuing E-Challans since 2014 along with SMS alerts.
In case of violation, the e-challan is logged against the culprit vehicle's registration number. Owner can log into Kolkata Police website, check the Pending Challan list, pay online and get a printout of a e-receipt.

Been a boon for my Mum, as now she gets to catch the driver, red-handed and see through his lies of "...madam, maine toh kuchh nahi kiya".
After a couple of monthly deductions of the penalty amount from his salary, we possibly have the most law abiding driver ever!
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 18:17   #63
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Kolkata Police has been issuing E-Challans since 2014 along with SMS alerts.
In case of violation, the e-challan is logged against the culprit vehicle's registration number. Owner can log into Kolkata Police website, check the Pending Challan list, pay online and get a printout of a e-receipt.

Been a boon for my Mum, as now she gets to catch the driver, red-handed and see through his lies of "...madam, maine toh kuchh nahi kiya".
After a couple of monthly deductions of the penalty amount from his salary, we possibly have the most law abiding driver ever!
More importantly should cause following +ve and -ve results:
1) Stop corruption in traffic police dept. A big big problem in Bombay.
2) Can lead to licenses being suspended if there are too many violations.
3) Even physical captures should be documented on this online section.
4) Same driver can have 2 or more cars and 2 or more drivers may drive the same car. Here the cars are getting tagged to phone numbers, not drivers to license numbers. those caught should be made to upload a valid license number for each incident that they are caught for as incidents finally need to be tagged to individuals not cars.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 18:42   #64
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
4) Same driver can have 2 or more cars and 2 or more drivers may drive the same car.
Excellent point, the police really needs to take care of this very common scenario.
Old 18th February 2017, 00:29   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
More importantly should cause following +ve and -

4) Same driver can have 2 or more cars and 2 or more drivers may drive the same car. Here the cars are getting tagged to phone numbers, not drivers to license numbers. those caught should be made to upload a valid license number for each incident that they are caught for as incidents finally need to be tagged to individuals not cars.

I may disagree to this cause people are cunning in many ways. At such a scenario, I could've possibly entered my sisters, dads or girlfriends license number and get away with it. They have a license but don't drive at all. Wouldn't put my mothers since she still drives rarely. If it has to get that strict there should be higher fines for repeated offences. Leading to confiscating the license of the person driving if that have the front/back camera setup that catches registration and drivers photograph.
Old 18th February 2017, 11:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Quick question:

This morning, like a law-abiding citizen, I was waiting behind the zebra crossing. Because of the increasing traffic, the traffic cop standing on the junction asked me to move ahead - almost crossing the white lines. In such a scenario, will I still be fined? How will the camera differentiate when a person is waiting on the line out of habit or when he/she has been asked to do so by the traffic constable? Same goes for signal jumping...
You will be fined.

See the attached picture which shows constable handling the intersection. Driver moved ahead when constable told him to. No SMS received till today, but found an E-Challan during my weekly check of the website. Unfortunately the cars dash-cam doesn't store a week worth of video!

This has now become a well organised money making scheme by the MTP. First stand behind the white line and get harassed and abused by the imbeciles who honk at you to move ahead, then listen to the cops and get fined.

When I called the helpline and explained the situation, answer was "write to the Joint Comm. Of Police and he shall get back. If you want to challenge the e-challan, hire a lawyer and go to court."
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-mtpchc1700235388_02.jpg  

mikem is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 19:05   #67
Senior - BHPian

Just logged in to check and I did have a violation mentioned for 16th Jan. It was one I remember getting stopped by cops for and I paid it on the spot via their card swiping machine.
Does the page maintain a list of all violations even after they have been paid off ? It doesnt say whether it is pending or cleared but then again I dont get an option to pay it so I guess its fine to leave it as is ?
Old 18th February 2017, 19:38   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Just logged in to check and I did have a violation mentioned for 16th Jan. It was one I remember getting stopped by cops for and I paid it on the spot via their card swiping machine.
Does the page maintain a list of all violations even after they have been paid off ? It doesnt say whether it is pending or cleared but then again I dont get an option to pay it so I guess its fine to leave it as is ?

Just my 2 paise since we don't deal with cents
Leaving it as is may impose the compounding fine and it would increase. I'd suggest mailing them with the receipt maybe or the statement copy done via the card and ask them to have it waived off.
Old 19th February 2017, 14:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Except the camera on the sea link I think all others capture just the front plate so someone I know has put white tape on 2 of his numbers on the bike and breaks all signals .

Also, there are videos on youtube which show how to put a reflective material on the plate so that if the plate is captured with a flash at night like the sea link, the entire plate will reflect the light and the number can't be seen.

Hope they use this to catch riders without helmets too.

Recently I got caught at Bandra for using the phone on speaker mode and they were saying the license will be taken away and I will have to go to court and then collect it from the police station after paying. I asked why are you not taking the fine now by card when I'm willing to pay but he said no we can't take the payment now. Eventually paid 100 and left which I think is what he wanted in the first place seeing me with family.

Last edited by straight6 : 19th February 2017 at 14:21.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 13:09   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the page maintains the list of all violations including those that have been paid. If the fine is outstanding, it shows an option to "Pay Now". If it does not show that option, I think it is safe to assume that it has been paid.
Old 21st February 2017, 21:50   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Got a message saying that e-Challans were being handed out in Mumbai.
[indent]• The new cameras installed are uploading e-challans with the time & place of violation
• Photographs are included too

Overall a super-easy and quick system. A+ for convenience

However:
1) There was no notification given to me that there were pending violations
2) How easily it hands out violations, and for what needs some fine tuning!

Cannot thank you enough Rehaan,

Was just glancing through this very very useful post & i just happened to log on to their website & Voila !!.. I had indeed received a challan !

Now, this was for a "No Parking" Offense committed on 22nd Dec that i was completely unawares. I duly paid the fine online pretty quickly & was immensely pleased with the overall process. Although my offense, as i see it in hindsight, was totally innocuous as there were several other cars parked almost permanently there nor did i see any No Parking board. But , this is besides the point.

While i welcome the process & the steps initiated by the Traffic Control Administration, it pains me to see the relentless offenses that are yet being committed everywhere, everyday. I understand it is going to take a while to set things in order, it might take a lifetime maybe.

Forget the white line at the signal, it's sort of a birthright of people to go halfway ahead leaving no space for pedestrians to cross, i doubt whether as many challans are being issued just for these offenses. While you see some semblance of neat behavior in the Sobo, it's totally absent in the suburbs, both the western & central ones.
I have no bias actually with the issuing RTO authorities per say, but when i look at the number plates of the offending vehicles, i mostly see the MH04's, MHO3's & the 05's & 06's are the impossible ones.
Point to note.
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 23:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

How does one deregister our car and mobile number combo once we sell the vehicle ?

For those wondering how the cops will link up violators caught on cam whose details they did not collect previously, one of our office boys gave me some insight. His scooter was towed away yesterday and when he went to get it back, the cops entered in his details and got a list of 8 violations and showed him pics of signal breaking, wrong parking, etc and refused to release his bike until he cleared those and also took down his details so that he can get an sms the next time.

So this is one of the ways the cops are using the system to catch up with the traffic rule violators who are not already registered in their system. Its a good move and should hopefully make people follow the rules eventually making for a better road experience. I guess those who ride/drive badly have a good chance of getting their vehicle towed which is when their violations will catch up with them.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2017 at 10:45. Reason: Merging consecutive posts...
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:46   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How does one deregister our car and mobile number combo once we sell the vehicle ?
I'd guess the easiest way to do it yourself is to enter the new owner's mobile number, and confirm it via OTP.

This is in their benefit too, so they know when they get fines (as opposed to you getting the SMS notifications).
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:14   #74
BHPian

I haven't registered any of my vehicles yet. I just went to mumbaipolice.net, entered my vehicle number, then it asks for a mobile number to send OTP and you can view your pending challans. This mobile number can be changed the next time you visit the website.
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:50   #75
BHPian

So this is what happens when you don't cross the white line. Moronic drivers pushing you to the edge with honking and arguments!

I had stopped behind the white line at L.J. Road, Mahim. Everyone behind me was honking to move ahead. Even a B.E.S.T. bus decided to leave my lane from 3 cars behind and come next to me to give me a lesson in crossing the white line.

At 00m:13s seconds the bus driver who has crossed the line is seen honking even tough there is not a soul in front of him.
At 00m:19s The BEST bus driver is seen asking me as to why I didn't break the signal!
At 00m:25s Red light but the bus moves way beyond the white line, over the pedestrian crossing and is now obstructing vehicles coming from the left.

mikem is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks