Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2006, 07:54   #1
BHPian

Design Your Ideal Car For India

GUYS I WOULD LIKE YOU TO DESIGN YOUR OWN CAR WITHIN A SPECIFIC BUDGET FOR INDIAN TRAFFIC CONDITIONS.

My ideal car would be a Fiat Adventure Sport with a 1.9 diesel(which unfortunately Fiat discontinued) with better interiors, abs, airbags, and a removable luggage rack on top, and three foldable seats at rear. Better still if it had the engine of a Ford Fiesta. And all this at a price of 6.5 on road.

Basically i am looking for these features in a indian car priced at 5.5-7.5 lakhs:

# Good strong body like Fiat.
# Suspension and ride quality.
# Engine: Fiat 1.9/Fiesta's (need 13kmpl city and 20kmpl highway on diesel)
# Driver seat should be height adjustable.
# Remote locks for boot, fuel lid and bonnet.
# A digital clock.
# Provision for 4/6 speakers.
# Provision for ABS/AIRBAGS(maybe i can fit them when i can afford).
# 2 step door opening like Fiat.
# Good Space with adequate pockets of cup holders, racks, etc.
# 14/15 inch Alloy wheels.
# Silent aircon with heater.(climatiser provision)
# Seating to be designed comfortably basically for 5 persons each weighing 70 kgs and 6 feet tall.
# Need to use the vehicle for a full 15 years.
# Good service from dealer.
# Commitment of spares suppply for 20years from launch date by manufacturer.
# Rear wiper with defoster.
# Power steering
# Tachometer and Tripmeter
# Black Non scratchable Bumpers(its hard for me to maintain body coloured bumpers in hyd city)
# A bull bar in front and side toe board on either side of car.
# Metallic pedals
# Rear parcel shelf
# Internally adjustable mirrors.
# Vanity mirror.
# 4 power windows with suitably placed arm rests.
# Two tone interior for dasboar and seats.

Basically i miss many of these in my wagonr lxi.
So guys can u build ur car for our indian roads.

Last edited by raja_ys : 4th November 2006 at 08:08.
raja_ys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2006, 09:27   #2
Max
BHPian

wagonr is cheapo car, if you want all these features you should have considered atleast huynadi GETZ.
Old 4th November 2006, 15:08   #3
BHPian

i do agree, but i am not taking about wagonr: its about a car we could buy without regretting later.
Old 4th November 2006, 16:05   #4
BHPian

Designing is too much work, but roughly, for Indian roads, I do not want a big car. The size of the esteem is fine. Maybe two inches wider and six inches lesser in length, but three inches taller. Again, not a tall boy (still remember when the Santro first hit the markets, a friend's wife said - When I was a little girl, I used to go to school wearing shoes that looked like the Santro; Santro lovers please excuse me) and neither the cab forward design. While I personally do not like the Station wagon look, the size of Indian families does make it a more feasibile choice- removable seats that can be folded or whatever, to make room for luggage as and when required. Petrol engines two versions, a low bhp economy version and a high bhp performance version and a diesel for extra high mileage people. Ground clearance and tough suspension is a must.
Old 4th November 2006, 18:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
The size of the esteem is fine. Maybe two inches wider and six inches lesser in length, but three inches taller.
I think you just described the Indica....except for the length part

Maruti Esteem/Tata Indica/Diff In inches

Overall Height 1395mm / 1485mm / 3.54
Overall Length 4095mm / 3660mm / -17.12
Overall Width 1575mm / 1625mm / 2.00

*THANKS TO INDIACAR.COM for the specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Petrol engines two versions, a low bhp economy version and a high bhp performance version and a diesel for extra high mileage people. Ground clearance and tough suspension is a must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys
# Good strong body
# Suspension and ride quality.
# need 13kmpl city and 20kmpl highway on diesel
# Driver seat should be height adjustable.
# A digital clock.
# Provision for 4/6 speakers.
# 2 step door opening
# Good Space with adequate pockets of cup holders, racks, etc.
# Seating to be designed comfortably basically for 5 persons each weighing 70 kgs and 6 feet tall.
# Commitment of spares suppply for 20years from launch date by manufacturer.
# Black Non scratchable Bumpers(its hard for me to maintain body coloured bumpers in hyd city)
Sounds like the Indica again except for petrol choices - Xeta for mileage, and the alleged 100bhp 16v version for 'performance' to fulfil your other need. Diesel exists. The car has good ground clearance and a very tough suspension.

Is it any wonder then that it sells? Pity about the lousy interiors and the horrible driving position, but it seems to meet the main needs. If they get their quality issues sorted out, you really have the right car for India. Looks like quality isnt that big a concern here...

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th November 2006 at 18:28.
Old 4th November 2006, 19:46   #6
BHPian

How about the Indigo ? the SX or GSX version has most of the requirements. Better rubbber / roof rails etc. need to be looked into.
Old 5th November 2006, 11:56   #7
BHPian

i think the ideal car for india would be the size and ground clearance of a fusion, interiors of the city , reliability of the alto, zing factor of a baleno, service bac-up of the 800 , styling as inspiring as the swift , cheap to maintain as a omni and cheap to run as a indica diesel
Old 5th November 2006, 12:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

get the reva and do it up.....
Old 5th November 2006, 18:12   #9
BHPian

come on! wht can we expect from a reva
Old 6th November 2006, 16:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Is it any wonder then that it sells? Pity about the lousy interiors and the horrible driving position, but it seems to meet the main needs. If they get their quality issues sorted out, you really have the right car for India. Looks like quality isnt that big a concern here...
The Indica is the best car for India. Cheap spares and good FE. Few people look beyond that, and you can't really blame them- not everyone is born into mint owning families.

And talking of quality, you only complain when you are used to something better. Take me for instance- I have sat in a Merc only a couple of times, and that too at the back, where you do not get to see too much of the dash. And talking of the regular nice cars like the Corolla or the City, I really do not get too impressed if the buttons look neat or the a/c vents are snazzy. If the gear slots smoothly and the engine is exciting, that's the car for me.

Safety of course should be a concern, but the manufacturers seem to think that their cars are good enough for the hoi polloi; if someone wants safety, they have to pay for it. For the average Indian who has to cut corners and redo his monthly budget to be able to afford a car, this is a luxury he can't afford. That is why the 800 still sells in such numbers.
Old 7th November 2006, 16:04   #11

How about a Hybrid or Solar Car

My ideal city car is a hybrid or solar car about the size of a REVA. Don't really
think I need anything larger than that. However, for longer rides and desi
road conditions, something like a slightly larger Indica with good local
servicability would be ideal.
Old 7th November 2006, 20:42   #12
BHPian

Car with bio-diesel and electric hybrid that gives 35-40Kmpl and pollutes less than Euro 100(?? whenever that is) cars.... thats what I call ideal car... preferably M800 sized, since there will be no room to drive in the future...
Old 14th November 2006, 19:05   #13
BHPian

This is quite close to the ideal Indian car
Tall boy design
High Ground clearance...
softroader style...
small car!!

....with a multijet diesel, it will truly be a winner here... http://www.fiatideaadventure.com.br/
Old 14th November 2006, 19:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

I guess the ideal car for India would be an estate with a good Common Rail Diesel, cheap spares, good A.S.S., tough suspension, well packaged interiors, good AC, all under 6.5 L.

So basically we are looking at the Indigo Marina/Fiat Adventure with the 1.3 Multijet/1.4 Dicor with A.S.S. brought upto Maruti levels!
Old 14th November 2006, 19:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

I agree with most of the requirements stated above. I also would like my ideal Indian car to have a good turning radius to maneuver through the congested roads and to park in places where the car can barely squeeze through. The steering should be light at low speeds, but should be heavy at high speeds. This way, we can get the best of both worlds.

I would also like the car to be compact, well built and should be good enough to take enough battering, thanks to our craters in the guise of roads. It should have good ground clearance too. Of course, as has already been suggested, it should have a good and economical diesel engine, with ample performance for the road conditions in India.

Indica fits the bill. As someone suggested, Idea Adventure will be great too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks