Team-BHP - Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/187312-mahindra-scorpio-facelift-spotted-testing-edit-launched-rs-9-97-lakhs-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2himanshu (Post 4303187)
I have the S10 version of the Scorpio, and frankly this new grill and alloy design looks bad to me. I hope they give a 6th gear as that is what is needed and hope they modify the rear suspension which is way too bouncy.

I just forgot to add a crucial drawback for me:
The Voice Assist System which can't be turned off and is the one most irritating thing in the ownership experience.
please:Mahindra remove it.

I don’t remember stranding in the road in the cars which don't remind you that the fuel is low or the handbrake is applied or the the door is open :)

I guess with this update for the Scorpio, Mahindra is trying to bring in the Imperio's (Xylo pickup's latest avatar) grille-styling. But they should've stuck to keeping it 5-slat rather than copy Jeep's 7-slat style.

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-mahindraindia.jpg

Thanks to Shubham Yadav for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-img_20171108_132131.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-img_20171108_132133.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-img_20171108_132225.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-img_20171108_132153.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-img_20171108_132156.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-img_20171108_132207.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-img_20171108_132215.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-img_20171108_132304.jpg

A Scorpio is required right now, but from the scoops it looks like a half-hearted attempt by Mahindra. The front grill, though having appeal, looks like an after-market accessory.

The other changes too are minor. Shouldn't give a proper facelift to the brand that Scorpio has become considering it has had essentially the same design for decades now?

Also, I think they should work on the driveability a bit more. The clutch feels hard and the suspension is very bouncy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miel (Post 4303973)
I guess with this update for the Scorpio, Mahindra is trying to bring in the Imperio's (Xylo pickup's latest avatar) grille-styling. But they should've stuck to keeping it 5-slat rather than copy Jeep's 7-slat style.

The Imperio has an extremely muscular and appealing front. Its a surprise Mahindra is not willing to use it in any passenger vehicle

The Scorpio facelift doesn't seem to have any change in the exterior, except for the grill. Guess the chrome compass grill can be removed easily

I have seen the car in person but sadly, did not click any pictures. My office happens to be in the same building as the regional office of Mahindra in Pune where they had brought the car for training of sales personnel of various dealerships.

Happy to report that the car has been given the additional 6th gear, touchscreen infotainment system (on the new top of the line S11 trim) and the power has been bumped up to 140bhp. However, the looks don't differentiate much from the previous generation car. Also, one big noticeable change is that the rear numberplate garnish has been toned down a bit which to my taste, is a good move.

I am ok with what Mahindra have done for this facelift. The engine has significantly increased in power and torque, and while it was always better than its competition even earlier, this takes it even further, R.I.P. Safari Storme V-400 is all I can say.

Also, in terms of features, M&M have done what they are known for, jazzy features that appeal to the customer, they have also made sure that the facelift does not warranty an undue price hike.

The rear bumper looks good with that rubberised footstep, the reversing camera is nicely tucked inside the number plate garnish and I see that there are now 2 parking sensors (Why couldn't you paint them M&M??:Frustrati) instead of the earlier 4. Up front, round fog lamps offer better beam spread and the earlier fogs were known for moisture collection too. The interiors were well screwed together, and I hope that the new S-11 gets better seat fabric and soft touch places here and there.

The alloys, however, look really boring compared to the current design.

Wonder if they will continue with the signature pintle hook for the 4WD versions though.

I loved the original Scorpio even though some friends stateside derided it as looking like a 'Soviet era contraption' when i showed them photos. Over the years i have been rendered speechless after every styling avatar and now i'm convinced that Dame Edna is the real styling boss at Mahindra Motor. Who else can conjure up this latest variation?.

Mahindra ruined a great opportunity to blaze a trail and create a new segment in the market by ruining the KUV100 styling, for example. The refresh only makes it looks bizarre. All Mahindra had to do was take styling cues from the Lada Niva bring it up to date and offer two and four door configurations with different trim levels to attract urban hippies and yuppies alike. Maybe an AWD version could have been built too. But alas, we don't see such thinking from Indian automobile builders do we?.

The front grill is a cheap Jeep rip off, now that Jeep is present in India M&M should have Stayed with the 5 slat. Even if you forgive that the logo seems to stick out sore. The aam junta will surely like the grill though.

The alloys look very similar to the ones on the old Rapid. Though a clean Design doesn't live upto the SUV profile.

The rear door looks nicer now, but then it also looks incomplete, as if it lost the cladding.

Rear bumper, wash/wipe are nicely done. Projector lamps are welcome addition.

Not sure what changes are on the inside, hope it's decent upgrade to the current specs.

Launching tomorrow, but now on video,

Quote:

'Micro Hybrid’ badging on the tailgate indicates the Mahindra Scorpio facelift will continue with engine stop/start fuel-saving technology. However, there will be no ‘Intelli-Hybrid’ variants this time around. In its new avatar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E47Ebp3u_TY

IAB

In addition to offering a new top-of-the-line S11 variant in the Scorpio facelift lineup, Mahindra & Mahindra will also introduce a new S3 base variant as well.

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by anand.shankar (Post 4304285)
The front grill is a cheap Jeep rip off, now that Jeep is present in India M&M should have Stayed with the 5 slat. Even if you forgive that the logo seems to stick out sore. The aam junta will surely like the grill though.

The alloys look very similar to the ones on the old Rapid. Though a clean Design doesn't live upto the SUV profile.

The rear door looks nicer now, but then it also looks incomplete, as if it lost the cladding.

Rear bumper, wash/wipe are nicely done. Projector lamps are welcome addition.

Not sure what changes are on the inside, hope it's decent upgrade to the current specs.

One interesting thing is the grille structure has remained which means the present grille can be retrofitted is a possibility. Also the rear has got back its butch looks. I just hope unlike the older Scorpio the door claddings don't trap water and promote rusting. Used to be an issue in the past. But the alloys are way too bland. The present alloys are damn sexy. Let's hope this one comes out good. A front grille swap and this is one mean looking vehicle again. Eyeing the vehicle as a prospective near future purchase.

Regards,
Subhra

Mahindra has launched the refreshed Scorpio with prices starting at Rs 9.97 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The facelifted SUV, that comes in seven-, eight- and nine-seater configurations, gets a few cosmetic changes on the outside and an engine tweaked for more power.

The highlight of the facelift is the more powerful engine that is available only on the higher-spec S7 and S11 trims. The 2.2-litre mHawk diesel unit now develops 140hp (up by 20hp) at 3,750rpm and 320Nm (an increase of 40Nm) of peak torque at 1,500-2,800rpm. This engine is mated to a new six-speed manual transmission. Four-wheel drive is also available as an option on this engine.

The base S3 variant gets a 2523cc diesel motor that makes 75hp and 200Nm of torque while the mid-spec S5 and S7 come with a 120hp/280Nm version of the 2.2-litre mHawk engine. Both motors are mated to a five-speed manual transmission.

All the engines also come with a mild hybrid system that is meant to provide electrical assistance while accelerating, enhance fuel economy, use the brakes for energy regeneration and engage the start-stop function.

The exterior changes include a new grille design with seven slats, a tweaked front bumper, new projector headlamps, new round fog lamps, turn indicators on the wing mirrors, new 17-inch alloy wheels and a few styling changes at the rear including a new rear bumper, a new red theme for the LED tail-lamps, a new rear wiper and a new design for the tail gate.

The cabin of higher-spec variants now sport new faux leather upholstery, while the steering wheel and gear lever are also wrapped in the same. The touchscreen infotainment system that comes with navigation doubles as a rear parking camera, the driver’s side power window has an auto-up function and there are new cubbies near the gear for a 1-litre bottle and a mobile phone. Tech on the top-spec Scorpio includes cruise control, a tyre pressure monitoring system, automatic headlamps and wipers, automatic climate control and Mahindra’s Blue Sense app that allows for control of the infotainment system.

In terms of safety equipment, the SUV comes with dual-front airbags, ABS, a speed alert, an auto door lock function and a digital engine immobiliser.

Photo Credit: Autocar India Picture Gallery

Are there any updates to the suspension. The Scorpio never felt under powered but the suspension setup has been one of the sore points of the vehicle since its inception.

No AT, no change in the cramped interiors, plastics still shoddy. Sigh! wasted opportunity M&M. Scorpio was relegated to a tier 2 and tier 3 town choice of late, and this was a golden opportunity for Mahindra to make it relevant again in big cities. But that means they needed to use better plastics and have an AT at the very least. Its not like this brute is cheap- 16L on road is no small change.

Hoping Mahindra plonks in the awesome Aisin AT in the Scorpio soon.