Team-BHP - Guide: Investing in shares of the automotive sector
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Guide: Investing in shares of the automotive sector (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/187607-guide-investing-shares-automotive-sector-29.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartCat (Post 4767271)
Motherson Sumi

Any clue why MS is taking a beating ? Same question for Apollo Tyres, many thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4767602)
Tata Motors stock in double digits after 11 years

And it opens down by another 11% to Rs 87 something now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4767824)
And it opens down by another 11% to Rs 87 something now!

Going down like crazy nowadays. It went from 120 to 200 after the later results, and now down by more than 50%. With situation improving in China (dependent on raw materials and JLR business market), it should improve and a good long term bet I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceWins (Post 4767839)
good long term bet I think.

Me too. I'm just a newbie though - but I feel we haven't seen the bottom yet. Will be a very good investment once the Coronavirus situation is over, and the market recovers.

Smartcat, any guess how low can these prices keep falling?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torquedo (Post 4767612)
Any clue why MS is taking a beating ? Same question for Apollo Tyres, many thanks.

Motherson Sumi has a large exposure to international markets. Apollo Tyres fall is "normal" for a tyre company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4767840)
Smartcat, any guess how low can these prices keep falling?

When Coronavirus stops taking up space on business news, we can expect some relief.

Tata Sons picks shares worth over Rs 356 cr in Tata Motors DVR, Tata Power, Tata Steel - Link

@SmartCat , what does it mean to the investors or what is the takeaway from this news to the investors?

Excuse me if it's a noob question, I'm a newbie to stock market, in fact I just got the trading and demat accounts.

75 percent of my capital in TATA motors is wiped out!(notional loss).

I had invested in TAMO from the days when it was trading at 430 odd, kept on averaging it every few days like SIP, but it kept falling, now looking back, i feel i should had just booked loss in initial days and come out of this stupid stock. Never catch a falling knife.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelguy (Post 4768286)
@SmartCat , what does it mean to the investors or what is the takeaway from this news to the investors?

It means Ratan Tata picked up some shares of these companies with his pocket money. Nothing to read into it.

As the market crashed today morning - Maruti Suzuki fell below 5000 as well.

TATA Motors is into the 70s now!

Auto stocks touch lowest since Feb 2014, braces for a dud Q1 FY'21.

Name:  13.PNG
Views: 1471
Size:  25.6 KB

Name:  14.PNG
Views: 1258
Size:  19.2 KB

Link

Automotive stocks are toxic assets at the moment. Stay away from OEM and ancillary stocks. If Corona persists (which it should as India is only in Phase 2, the worst Phase 3 yet to come), Nifty may hit 7000. That may be a good time to enter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aditya79india (Post 4771093)
Automotive stocks are toxic assets at the moment. Stay away from OEM and ancillary stocks.

Yeah. Purchase of cars and bikes are usually postponed in times like these. Expect sales to crash when Corona situation worsens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartCat (Post 4771157)
Yeah. Purchase of cars and bikes are usually postponed in times like these. Expect sales to crash when Corona situation worsens.

But what about companies with good fundamentals, we can get them at a discount, can we now invest in them if we want to stay invested for long (say minimum 5to10 yrs).

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelguy (Post 4771163)
But what about companies with good fundamentals, we can get them at a discount, can we now invest in them if we want to stay invested for long (say minimum 5to10 yrs).

I guess so. But make sure that company has zero or very low debt. Stick to OEMs or battery/tyre/oil lubricant companies. Avoid small component makers for now. And be prepared for large drawdowns (notional loss).

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelguy (Post 4771163)

Difficulty right now is even that fundamentals can change. A 2 month period of operating at 75% capacity will wipe out a year's profit. Extend it by another month, or just one month at less than 50% capacity, means debt servicing capacity takes a hit.

Research well.