Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 18:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Mock Online Test for Driving Licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
My understanding is that PUC is valid for 1-year for BS-IV vehicles.
And for 6 months for all other vehicles (BS-II, BS-III etc.)
From what i have experienced, when the vehicle was new, it was for a year and after that i have always got only for six months, but does this difer from state to state? i am at a loss on that. my car is a bs-4, by the way.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 21:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
From what i have experienced, when the vehicle was new, it was for a year and after that i have always got only for six months, but does this difer from state to state? i am at a loss on that. my car is a bs-4, by the way.
I found this from website of Transport Department of Delhi Govt.

Quote:
As per Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, every motor vehicle (including those conforming to BS-I/ BS-II/ BS-III/BS-IV as well as vehicles plying on CNG/LPG) is required to carry a valid PUC Certificate after the expiry of period of one year from the date of its first registration. However the validity of 4 wheeled BS-IV compliant vehicles is one year and for other vehicles it is three months.
Here is the link
I'm not sure if this varies between state to state. Will try to dig up from other states' Transport Department.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 09:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

A Mock Test that sometimes seems to make a mockery of tests and current road rules practised internationally.

Firstly, hand signals are not to be used by motorists any more - the prime reason being safety. One does NOT stick one's arm out under any circumstance to signal to anyone else on the road - the little stick alongside the steering wheel that turns on blinking amber lights at both ends of the car does have a definite purpose. In 21st century India, the following questions have no business being there in any driving test.

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture11.jpg

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture14.jpg
__________________________________________________ ___________

When approaching uncontrollable / unpredictable animals, whether wild or domesticated, on the road, stopping the vehicle at least 20m away from such animals is the most prudent thing to do. There should be no attempt made to approach/pass uncontrollable cattle unless one prefers to claim insurance for smashed automotive glass!

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture13.jpg

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture1.jpg

No wonder we have traffic holdups across all our streets. The correct procedure would be to turn on your right indicator, look for a gap in the traffic (use the right ORVM as well as do a head check), then pull out as quickly as possible when it is safe to do so.[/center]

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture12.jpg

Yeah, right!! It only happens in India! A long vehicle pulls into the middle of the road and we, the motorists, have to play a guessing game about which direction it is supposed to turn! Don't long vehicles have turn signals? Aren't the fellows driving them responsible for turning those indicators on to warn others on the road? Oh, wait, they can't really do that because the driving test told them they can go any direction they please, while other motorists will automatically panic and slam on their brakes!

There's lot more of idiocy in there...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th July 2017 at 09:45.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 10:50   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture6.jpg
So every time a bus stops in India (at a designated stop or bay, we presume), we are supposed to stop behind it, not pass on the right of it with caution! Somebody teach road manners to bus passengers too, please...

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture9.jpg
But when a column of soldiers is marching along a public road (not on the footpath, mind you, because those don't quite exist in this country), we can safely brush past them at 25 kmph - the right answer option doesn't care to mention about maintaining a gap (the recommended minimum gap when passing pedestrians or cyclists on the road is 1.5m).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Overtaking another vehicle in India is certainly confusing - no wonder one finds road signs that sometimes read "Overtakers go to the undertakers".

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture8.jpg
Absolutely not! No other person, not even the driver of the vehicle ahead, has any business telling you whether you can overtake or not. You overtake at your own peril, and not on anyone else's say-so. Internationally, the "go-ahead-you-can-overtake-me" hand signal has been abolished. On the other hand, ensure there are no pedestrians or animals crossing the road exactly at the time that you are in the process of overtaking - because this is India, and roads do not belong only to cars.

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture10.jpg
Again, the correct answer here would be, do nothing! While being overtaken, the most you can do is to slow down a bit to allow a reduction of the duration when both vehicles are alongside each other. You do not signal for another vehicle to overtake you. If your vehicle cannot be driven at/near the speed limit of a single lane road, and you are holding up a column of 20 cars behind you, pulling over and parking for a minute or two when it is safe to do so may be an option.

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture26.jpg
It says SINGLE LANE in that question! Where on earth does one pull over to let the other car overtake? into the bushes? And what if it is a long vehicle that comes alongside you and runs you off the road? No way I'm leaving my lane to allow an idiot to overtake on a single lane road, especially if I am driving at/near the speed limit. Straddling lanes is NOT an option!

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture16.jpg
Didn't someone tell the question setter that it is called a parking-cum-emergency brake?

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture3.jpg
Someone is certainly a lunatic here - an unbroken yellow OR white line only says Do not cross this line. If there is enough space to overtake without crossing that unbroken line, please do!

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture21.jpg
A flashing yellow 'X' over a lane warns of imminent lane closure ahead, so motorists on that lane need to merge to their left or right as the case may be. The supposedly correct answer is SO wrong!

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture27.jpg
The government of India did say something about all motor vehicles to be equipped with ABS, isn't it? The technique of using ABS- vs. non-ABS-equipped cars is exactly those two answers. Aren't learner drivers supposed to drive ABS-equipped cars?

And talking about skidding and slippery roads...

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture4.jpg
Shift to a lower gear on slippery roads at your own peril. The higher torque to the wheels in the lower gear will break traction faster, making one spin out - something that anyone who has driven on snow for 5 minutes in his lifetime, will know.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th July 2017 at 11:09.
Old 12th July 2017, 11:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture25.jpg
Yayyyy!! We finally found out why every driver in this country insists on sticking to the right (overtaking) lane ALL the time! Because their driving instructor and some idiotic driving test question TOLD them to! If there are NO slow-moving vehicles on the left lane that you need to overtake, can you PLEASE move back to the left lane when it is clear?

It's ALL the instructor's fault, really!!!

__________________________________________________ _____________

Mock Online Test for Driving Licence-capture24.jpg

Yeah, right! Slow down at night because you weren't actually tested for night blindness when they issued you your driving license! Reaction times have nothing to do with day or night, unless you are fatigued - in which case, it's best to pull over and take a 15-minute powernap after a cup of strong coffee (where do we find coffee on our highways, I wonder? I carry my own!). Night driving often allows one to drive faster than in the day, because of the absence / lesser presence of animals, pedestrians, cyclists etc. on the roads during the late night hours.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th July 2017 at 11:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks