Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2017, 13:38   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai Mirror: 7,000 dead cars eat up 20 acres of Mumbai roads

Quote:
BMC towed away 6,413 abandoned cars that littered the streets between Jan 2016 and Aug 2017; another 605 are still occupying premium road space.

Read the entire article here
Mumbai Mirror: 7,000 dead cars eat up 20 acres of Mumbai roads-screenshot_20171202132535283_com.android.chrome2.png
Related threads :
Imports gathering dust in India (Pics: Imports gathering dust in India)
Mumbai Mirror: 7,000 dead cars eat up 20 acres of Mumbai roads-screenshot_20171202132949583_com.android.chrome2.png

Newer rotting cars (Newer Rotting Cars)
Mumbai Mirror: 7,000 dead cars eat up 20 acres of Mumbai roads-screenshot_20171202133525908_com.android.chrome2.png
v12 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 14:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mumbai Mirror: 7,000 dead cars eat up 20 acres of Mumbai roads

I think the owners of these cars should be enlightened about our TEAM-BHP Giveaway thread & start listing their cars here;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ow-bhpian.html
karan561 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 20:31   #3
BHPian

Abandoned cars by the roadside, are indeed a menace in Mumbai. We are already scrambling for space; the junks eating up our space adds to the problem. The owners should be taken to task for abandoning them that way. It should not be a big task for Mumbai Traffic to track the owners, whether or not the registration plates are available. They just need to set up a Task force for the purpose.
skchettry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 21:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchettry View Post
It should not be a big task for Mumbai Traffic to track the owners, whether or not the registration plates are available. They just need to set up a Task force for the purpose.
How does the police discriminate between a dead car and a live car ? What is the cutoff limit ? Do they monitor the vehicle every hour to see if its being used by the owner ?

To me , its an extension of the towing scam presently going on in all the metro cities. Its a merely a source of revenue to be milked .

Last edited by Ragavsr : 2nd December 2017 at 21:21.
Old 2nd December 2017, 22:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
How does the police discriminate between a dead car and a live car ? What is the cutoff limit ? Do they monitor the vehicle every hour to see if its being used by the owner ?
I hope you have seen cars with flat tyres, dust/dirt all over and can make a fair assessment of which ones have not moved for a week or so? In fact it is more of a duty on the part of residents of nearby areas to report such cases to the Police too. Let there a process to facilitate identification of abandoned cars and for the Police to act upon. If we think it is just an extension of the towing exercise, yes, chances are there that it might be misused; but then every system has to have a mechanism to take care of that.
Bottom line is - all must agree that abandoned cars are a menace/hazard and need to be eliminated; if not by the owner, be it by the Police.
skchettry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hidden somewhere in the article as to why some owners abandon their cars -

Quote:
there are many who own more than three cars. They don't get rid of their old cars as it holds a sentimental value for them and allow them to rot on the roads," said Magar.
Looking at the state of abandoned cars, I don't think the above theory makes any sense
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

In the UK, one can report a suspect abandoned car. The police will try to trace the onwer and notify the council. The council will slap a notice on the car that it will be removed in 14 days and destroyed.
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 22:22   #8
BANNED

Its high time such an activity was initiated across all cities in the country. Any car that appears to be or is reported abandoned MUST be towed away and scrapped within a reasonable amount of time by the authorities and destroyed. A LOT of public space is occupied by these cars everywhere.

As a kid, when my dad used to tell me that people abandon their cars WITH their keys in the US and papers and the finder could drive them away, I used to wish for a day when such things would happen in India so that everyone could own a car, but what is happening here is completely different.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 08:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Is there a law about this that empowers the BMC (or any corporation) to take specific action?

If not, BMC is treading tricky waters. What if the owner suddenly wakes up (or smells an opportunity) and claims damages from BMC.

As of now, they're auctioning these cars (illegal?) or moving them to a godown (postponing the problem).

All that said, a lot of city corporations need to take (legal) action on all the abandoned cars littered across towns. There's a bunch in my lane as well but going by their make and vintage seem like their owner just went "onsite" indefinitely :P

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th December 2017 at 10:34. Reason: typo
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

If I remember correctly, there is a section in the Central MV Act that outlines that a State can incorporate in its MV Act/Rules the provision & powers to remove vehicles left unattended or abandoned in a public place.

I am cross-posting in the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...icles-act.html about the legal angle.
KiloAlpha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why on the roads, in our society (around 400 flats), we had to beg the members to get rid of their broken down motorcycles, cycles, electronic equipment, etc.

You won't believe the sentiments of the people and how aggressive they become when some cleaning guy goes near the abandoned things. We literally had to stand and control the situation when a guy was refusing to let go of his old, rusted washing machine that he had kept in the common area. We finally told him that keep it inside your home, else it'll be gone in 24hrs.

The problem is, people have taken for granted the roads, footpaths and other public places. I don't mind as long as people abandon things on their properties.

I think BMC should auction off these vehicles and recover at least some cost of towing etc. After all they must have incurred a significant expense to clear all those cars.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 11:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

A great initiative by the BMC. Of course, space is of utmost value in a city like Mumbai, but other cities shouldn't shy away from the idea either. People do take public space for granted. Here in the Delhi, NCR, I must have seen a hundred dead cars, just rotting away.
ashutoshb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 17:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Mirror: 7,000 dead cars eat up 20 acres of Mumbai roads

BMC to auction these seized vehicles:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/b...1/1108383.html
Old 14th January 2018, 23:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

A massive drive seems to be underway even in Pune against dead cars on the street. I've come across at least five cars across Pune that seem abandoned (lots of dust, deflated tyres) with notices pasted on the windshield asking for the car to be maintained/stored on private property or else, it'll be towed. Saw a couple of cars being towed.

Here's an article in HT Pune.

Mumbai Mirror: 7,000 dead cars eat up 20 acres of Mumbai roads-img_3124.jpg
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 15:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Just this saw this notice pasted on a car on the road where i live:

Mumbai Mirror: 7,000 dead cars eat up 20 acres of Mumbai roads-img_6621.jpg

Mumbai Mirror: 7,000 dead cars eat up 20 acres of Mumbai roads-img_6622.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks