Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 21:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The Scorpio Petrol went like a rocket, but it delivered 6 kmpl then. That was the prime reason it didn't find a market here, apart from a lot of design constraints.

This one raises a lot of questions in my mind. Which emission norm does the petrol version fulfil?

Spike
The Scorpio Petrol was a Proper Petrol motor borrowed from Renault isn't it? This one looks like a Petrol Adaptation of the mHawk Diesel.
Old 5th December 2017, 21:12   #32
BANNED

Firstly, I am surprised at the amount of torque these guys are getting out of this (Most likely Non turbo), petrol engine. Even for a turbo petrol its quite a lot given the power its belting out. Or maybe they have deliberately tuned it to give less power but enough torque to pull such a big car.

At this price,its mostly similar to W9 AT , but a lac cheaper than Diesel. For primarily city drivers in a place like NCR, it still does make sense and I think thats what Mahindra is thinking too, playing safe by offering just one Trim and Transmission. And at this price, Everything from a Creta to Compass, and even Tuscon can be targeted.
Old 5th December 2017, 21:15   #33
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
None of the petrol SUVs launched in India were able to make a dent in the market when compared to the diesel counterpart.
And the mileage figures would suck big time looking at the engine specs (though i feel the diesel will still be better to drive), hence doubling running costs.

Most of the sales for this variant for sure will not happen in India. Going by the left hand drive images of the car, it further justifies that fact.

Only time will tell how the Indian market will react to this.
Fully agree! No big petrol has sold in half decent numbers in India. Don't see why this would. Not sure they would even launch it here! Particularly I understand that this has the 2.2 derived engine block, which would be probably not as efficient as a ground up designed petrol engine.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2017 at 06:53. Reason: Edited as the concerned posts have been moved to a more relevant thread.
Old 5th December 2017, 21:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
DOA will be better - Dead on Arrival
You completely stole the words out of my mouth.
Also, I really think that the target audience for the XUV aren’t up for the petrol option, as they buy this vehicle to rack up miles & travel long distances.
This is merely Mahindra being a puppet to the NGT ruling, and thus staying on the safer side.
AShubrah is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 14:57   #35
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs

Bit surprised at the cost, considering its sold much cheaper in the UAE & Qatar. It should indeed have been at least a Lakh cheaper. The torque number is still a bit of surprise. I am still trying to dig around and see how they are managing it. However, the hp output is quite low for 2.2L block. Maybe Ill shoot out a test drive quick review over the next few days. However initial impressions, it's not bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Old 6th December 2017, 18:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
Bit surprised at the cost, considering its sold much cheaper in the UAE & Qatar. It should indeed have been at least a Lakh cheaper.
It's the TAX structure that's responsible for price difference primarily. In India the GST payable to an SUV is at the tune of 50%

Also, as said in the earlier post, I feel the Petrol version will be a success in its own way.
Price wise W9 AT is dearer than this petrol automatic, the nearest similar diesel model, which is the common practice.
However the following things would be the deal clincher:
1. Positioning against other petrol SUVs like Jeep, Creta, Captur and no-Hexa
2. Pleasure to drive factor (smoothness, power delivery/acceleration (140 HP & 320 Nm @ 2000-3000 rpm only!!), Cabin noise absence
3. And at the end, economy: Rs/km. Why at the end because an SUV enthusiast values something else more than cost...

Last edited by aah78 : 7th December 2017 at 00:49. Reason: Additional points. EDIT: Post fixed. Please use the Report Post feature to make edits in future. Thank you!
kbishwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 00:19   #37
BHPian

This is amazing - 140HP & 320Nm @ 2000-3000 rpm form an 4 Cylinder inline Petrol Engine considering a Toyota Highlander - 270HP@6200 rpm, 248Nm Torque@4700 rpm, that too from a 3.5L V6 Engine.
Surely it has lot of usable torque for Bumper-to-Bumper traffic in City as well as for minor offroading.
I suspect, it might affect the highway performance.
Old 7th December 2017, 08:06   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Indeed, compare the prices with W6 AT, W9 MT and W9 AT, neither it makes sense, nor it has more features on offer than W9 (W9 gets a sunroof and a reversing camera, even if the AT is a lac costlier).
I was going to say the same thing sir. But I guess if someone plans to buy W9-AT, they might consider this petrol. The main reason being the increasing pollution by diesel cars. Just guessing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Features (last column on the right):

[left]Attachment 1702884
The feature list for the petrol doesn't make sense. Mahindra is giving only one variant, but with features equivalent to(and even some less than)W9. Whats more, they dont even give 6 airbags in the petrol. This translates to-if someone want to buy the non polluting petrol, this means he has to compromise on safety(and obviously other features) ?

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2017 at 16:55. Reason: typos
Simat is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th December 2017, 13:05   #39
BHPian

140 BHP @ 4500 RPM, 320 Nm @ 2000-3000 RPM.

As expected the powerband is ultra narrow and is diesel like. The engine loses about 31% of peak torque as early as 4500 RPM.

You already have about 134 BHP by 3000 RPM. Revving from 3000 to 4500 RPM hardly gives any power increase. Then 4500 to 6200 RPM (redline) results in power drop.

Mahindra needs some serious help with petrol engines. I mean hitting power plateau at 3000 RPM in a petrol? Many diesels start hitting power plateau later on in their power band!

I see absolutely no reason to buy this one (other than the fear of diesel ban).

Last edited by theredliner : 7th December 2017 at 13:06.
theredliner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 15:29   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
It's the TAX structure that's responsible for price difference primarily. In India the GST payable to an SUV is at the tune of 50%

Also, as said in the earlier post, I feel the Petrol version will be a success in its own way.
Price wise W9 AT is dearer than this petrol automatic, the nearest similar diesel model, which is the common practice.
However the following things would be the deal clincher:
1. Positioning against other petrol SUVs like Jeep, Creta, Captur and no-Hexa
2. Pleasure to drive factor (smoothness, power delivery/acceleration (140 HP & 320 Nm @ 2000-3000 rpm only!!), Cabin noise absence
3. And at the end, economy: Rs/km. Why at the end because an SUV enthusiast values something else more than cost...
Just a counter question as food for thought. A locally manufactured Indian brand vehicle, locally sourced components (majority of the components from India - high localization), sold in India would definitely be cheaper than an imported car, with freight charges, handling charges, local duty and exclusive distributor margins sold in Dubai. That said, wouldn't the input tax and lower pricing help them make the price competitive. The 15.5L INR is ex-showroom, thus I felt it was expensive. I agree when the state and other taxes apply it becomes worse but if they had cut down the ex-showroom price, it would have made it a sweeter deal and could find more takers.

I agree with you on the smoothness and power delivery, if you dont stomp the accelerator and expect wonders. However, in my experience, it didnt feel as powerful or maybe it was just felt too heavy(i could be biased by other lighter vehicles in the Gulf). but compared to some of the other unknown brands out here, the vehicle is very good. The 6 speed is also quite smooth and fast, but not without occasional confusion if accelerated too much. Overall, I felt compared to the diesel, the NVH is much better.
daywiz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 16:09   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Would be curious to know and read the review of the First TBHPian who buys the petrol XUV.

As they say the proof of the pudding is in the driving.. So if indeed someone sticks his neck out and buys a petrol XUV and loves it, and get a good FE. then such a review would help.

May be to get the ball rolling Mahindra can give one a half price to a TBHPian.

A TBHP review of just the engine as we do sometimes would also be interesting. (As was done for the 400 Nm Storme variant when it came out.)

Last edited by Aditya : 8th December 2017 at 07:51. Reason: Typo
Old 8th December 2017, 20:04   #42
BHPian

The success or failure of any vehicle boils down to the question "kitna deti hai". Brilliant power or looks or for that matter, technology appeal to the odd enthusiast. But for a maker that doesn't translate into ROI.
Can we have the mileage figures for this on the table before we declare it a dud or blaze
Old 10th December 2017, 12:03   #43
BHPian

Gurgaon dealers didn't have any petrol available and weren't interested in selling that too. They were happily promoting a lac off on old Scorpio.
Old 24th January 2018, 15:17   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone actually seen or driven the XUV500 Petrol at a dealer? If not, I think Mahindra just launched the XUV500 Petrol for the heck of it. It wasn't necessarily ready, but they went ahead with the launch anyway (I know that some scoop stories have led to preponing a launch).

They don't even have a vehicle in the media fleet yet. Remember how the Jeep Compass Petrol was "launched" in July 2017, but its production began a couple of months later? Me thinks its the same scene here.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 17:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
The success or failure of any vehicle boils down to the question "kitna deti hai". Brilliant power or looks or for that matter, technology appeal to the odd enthusiast. But for a maker that doesn't translate into ROI.
Can we have the mileage figures for this on the table before we declare it a dud or blaze
I feel arguments around mileage are a bit over-rated. I know Maruti played that brilliantly into our psyche with its adverts. I think people do factor that in but not to the extent that it is made out to be. And I find it ironic that people care about mileage figures but will spend sitting in hours traffic.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks