Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2017, 14:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)

We all know the market shift to petrol. Here is a detailed report of 2016 Vs 2017 (til date)

Also shown is April - November 2017 of all manufactures and its sales split between Petrol -Diesel. Hybrids

Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-p1.jpg

Sales Data April - November 2017

Maruti Suzuki sells 71% of its cars in petrol variants while Hyundai does 67%, Honda 69 % and so forth
Name:  T2.png
Views: 23827
Size:  30.0 KB
Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-m1.jpg

Name:  T1.png
Views: 23783
Size:  29.9 KB
Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-h1.jpg

Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-title.jpg
Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-ho.jpg

OEMs such as Toyota, Mahindra, Ford & Skoda have majority contribution from Diesel vehicles in the portfolio. Mahindra sells 96% of its variants in diesel, while Tata's has a balanced 55% in Petrol .

Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-ma1.jpg

Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-ta.jpg

Source

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2017 at 10:28. Reason: Adding titles to table rows
volkman10 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol versus Diesel Cars

What is price range of the petrol cars? The majority of cars sold are hatchbacks which are economical to run with petrol. I'm sure diesel dominates anything beyond the 15 lakh price bracket. Premium petrol is still 50% more expensive, however regular petrol is just 10 bucks more.

It looks like people have realised that low running isn't worth the diesel premium, now that the extremely high price difference scenario does not exist.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:32   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)

Thanks for sharing, Volkman10! Moving these incredibly interesting stats to a new thread.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Interesting statistics there!
  • Honda’s diesel is only moving well with the WRV, otherwise its complete petrol domination. Wonder what would have been the situation if the WRV had the 1.5L petrol option.
  • It looks like even fleet operators are not considering Corolla’s diesel option.
  • Both Polo and Vento petrol does well (compared to diesel) whereas with Rapid it is the diesel gaining; should be the lack of 1.2TSI option with the Skoda.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing volkman10.

Some numbers that stand out. (petrol:diesel)

Nexa cars more petrol oriented? Maybe due to the showrooms located in urban areas?
Ignis - 93:7
Baleno - 83:17
Ciaz - 57:43

Dzire - 44:56 Still a bit diesel biased.

In the Hyundai stable, i20 and Elantra (surprise?) more petrol biased.
i20 - 66:34
Elantra - 60:40

From the Honda, petrol wins. Even the common man prefers the vtec, like us, the enthusiasts.
City - 78:22
Jazz - 88:12
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:08   #6
BHPian

Well, with fuel subsidies on both Petrol and Diesel eliminated, the price difference between both of then comes to around 11/- per liter in Bengaluru.

Generally, the premium on diesel cars over petrol cars is anywhere between 1L to 1.75L, depending upon the model.

To keep it simple, considering 1.2L premium, plus assuming maintenance of both petrol and diesel cars to be same, at least during the first 5-6 years of ownership, a simple back of the envelop calculation shows the below.

Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-tbhp.jpg

You would be able to recover your premium paid for diesel, in about 2 - 3 years if only your usage is around the 30,000 km per year. If not, you will take a long time to recover this premium.

Note -
1. No return on excessive 1.2L premium is not calculated in this method. If the same is invested in a FD, you would at least get 6.5% return, which is roughly 7,800/-. A month of your fuel bill will be sponsored by the returns on the premium.

2. Assumption is diesel and petrol will have same maintenance cost. In reality, its not the same. Parts in diesel engine generally tend to cost more.

But, it need not necessarily be a pure mathematical decision too.

If your usage is mostly on highways, diesel makes sense. Given that it generally can take fuel adulteration better + higher torque output makes for better long distance driving.

Given that, majority of car users are occasional highway users or do zero highway runs, and the economics working in the favor of petrol engines, we are seeing a significant skew towards petrol.

Form here, where would things go.. Your guess is as good as mine. Electric, hydrogen, solar - errrr.. I wouldn't bet!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2017 at 10:55. Reason: Typo
OrangeCar is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:19   #7
BHPian

Very handy compilation there Volkman10, Thanks for sharing.

My observations as are follows,

In case of Maruti Suzuki the tilt is clearly in favour of Petrols. Discounting the petrol only Cars and considering the ones with both engine options and primarily used for family purposes (Swift, Ciaz, Baleno) the sway is clearly in favor of Petrols and diesels are far off. Oil burners are preferred only in case where no petrol option exists (Brezza) or that a substantial portion of the car users form Taxi Segment viz Dzire (Tour ?) and Ertiga. Even here the petrols are not too far off.

Admittedly for an average buyer visiting MSIL showroom, petrol is a no brainer.

For Hyundai, despite having a ultra refined oil burner technology none have been able to cut above the petrols’ save for the Verna and Tucson. For others, petrols are way ahead.

For Honda, on paper it seems that the Earthdreams may be not at par with petrols but considering that it is still in its nascent stages of development it is quite an achievement. High WR-V sales in favor of diesels may be taken with a pinch of salt as the 1.5 oil burner has a predominant lead over its puny 1.2 I-Vtec counterpart.

Nothing surprising from Mahindra camp as diesels glare from every nook and corner of their product line-up.

Tata shows decent maturity in development of petrol engines as their new generation passenger cars viz., Tiago and Tigor with Revotron mills clearly overpowering their diesel counterparts.

Interesting equations but are surely dynamic. Keeping fingers crossed.
King_pin09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:20   #8
BHPian

The shift towards petrol is due to stricter norms we might face in future. We have seen registration of diesel being restricted to 10 years in Delhi/NCR. With increasing pollution levels government can introduce similar laws in other metro cities as well. I feel market will shift to petrol/hybrid in coming years and diesel use will be minimized to few sectors like agriculture.
roby_dk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 08:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Even with all its negative publicity diesel cars still are holding up and continue to be at ~ 40% of the market, primarily due to the popularity of Compact SUV's, SUV's , MUV's and the fleet segment and the 'diesel only' cars on sale.

-Ford Endeavour
-Mahindra’s majority portfolio (Verito/Vibe, Bolero, Nuvosport, Rexton, Xylo, Scorpio, TUV 300 & XUV 500). Only recently M&M launched the Petrol variant of the XUV500
-Maruti’s Vitara Brezza & Nexa S Cross
-Renault Lodgy
-Skoda Kodiaq
-Tata Sumo, Safari & Hexa
-VW Tiguan

OEM's like Mahindra seeing its losing footage in diesel now tries to capitalize on its EV portfolio.

VW/SKoda is likely to concentrate on its new 1.0L TSI for India for its next gen vehicles for India.

Maruti Suzuki petrol focused has the 1.0/1.4l boosterjet while for diesel has its new 1.5l diesel.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 13:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
We all know the market shift to petrol. Here is a detailed report of 2016 Vs 2017 (til date)

Source
There were 180 Tata Nanos with diesel engines sold!?!? I am not aware of a diesel option in the Nano.
I also noticed that there is a "^" sign next to the model, probably indicating an explanatory footnote. I am wondering what that footnote could be. I did not see one in the original post, so could you please put it in the thread starter?
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 13:47   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
There were 180 Tata Nanos with diesel engines sold!?!? I am not aware of a diesel option in the Nano.
^ denotes the LPG variant while * is for the hybrid.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post

Generally, the premium on diesel cars over petrol cars is anywhere between 1L to 1.75L, depending upon the model.

To keep it simple, considering 1.2L premium, plus assuming maintenance of both petrol and diesel cars to be same, at least during the first 5-6 years of ownership, a simple back of the envelop calculation shows the below.
An additional factor to be considered is difference in selling price of diesel vehicle as compared to a petrol by first owner. Assuming a diesel has higher price in used car market, the amount of time to breakeven reduces.

However, overall your calculation makes sense while deciding which variant to purchase.
Old 20th December 2017, 14:25   #13
BHPian

Look at those Hybrid sales..they have simply halved! I guess the govt's decision to withdraw subsidy from hybrid cars such as the Camry would have impacted the sales a lot.

I echo the thoughts of car manufacturers when they complain that the policies in India are highly inconsistent. On one hand we want to promote e-vehicles and on the other we start punishing hybrid cars by taking off any incentives.

I think the time is right to link the tax structure to emissions and not the engine size, fuel type, etc.
MacBa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
An additional factor to be considered is difference in selling price of diesel vehicle as compared to a petrol by first owner. Assuming a diesel has higher price in used car market, the amount of time to breakeven reduces.

However, overall your calculation makes sense while deciding which variant to purchase.
If you want to sell within 5-6 years, diesel may fetch higher price than petrol ones...After that, esp in NCR, >7yr old diesel may not fetch you a fair price.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 15:20   #15
BHPian

Is there data regarding petrol / diesel split of the complete vehicle fleet in India? Am interested in it for a policy paper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks