Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Crackdown on out-of-state cars in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
We need to first understand if Chennai Traffic Police is authorized to ask NOC.

Waseem.
They all seem to have a different way of harassing us. While in the BTP website it is mentioned that a vehicle cannot be stopped solely for checking PUC, I was stopped for the same in Maharashtra near Satara.

All through my drive last month to Pune and back from Chennai. I was worried about getting stopped in Maharashtra especially and true to my fears was stopped on my return journey. I had all my papers in order and the cop had no option other than asking me to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I was stopped on December 29th, will be back again on 14th for Pongal, let me see if the checks are continuing. Was driving casually, pulled in front of the signal and was flagged to stop on the side.
Was this by any chance the MKN road and GST road signal near Trans car Mercedes?

This is the most popular place where cops have been catching vehicles for months now while they wait for the signal. Recently they have started waiting near Inner ring road entry from GST road.

Also the left turn onto Velachery road from 100 feet road right before Phoenix mall is a popular catch zone. Not to forget the one way left onto Venkatnarayana road from Nandanam signal.

OT: Is yours a white fiesta with a black roof and LTD on the rear bumper?

Last edited by Shanksta : 3rd January 2018 at 13:49.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

This has been happening on and off. I was pulled twice on my scooter in 2010 (which had a KA-05 plate then), first time had a NOC which was 3 months old. Second time paid like 100, this was it was 9 months old. It was eventually re-registered in early 2011.

Things were slightly more easy with cars. Friend had a MH-12 Spark and stayed in GST beyond Vandalur, he used to say he was heading to native. Talking the local language helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
There was a big drive during the 90's. Especially towards Pondicherry registered cars.
That was a different case. It was for PY plates, when many locals used to have mass market cars (like 800, Amby) with PY plates. At that time, our tenant themselves had a PY registered Amby.

Harassing out of state motorbikes/scooters has been happening all the time, atleast in the last 10-15 years where there has been migration of people on a slightly bigger scale.

TN, MH, PB, Bangalore are among the 'champions' in flagging out of state vehicles
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post

Was this by any chance the MKN road and GST road signal near Trans car Mercedes?

This is the most popular place where cops have been catching vehicles for months now while they wait for the signal. Recently they have started waiting near Inner ring road entry from GST road.

OT: Is yours a white fiesta with a black roof and LTD on the rear bumper?
Yep, exact place near Trans car.

Mine is a Black Fiesta
anandtheleo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 13:19   #19
BHPian

One quick question - how long the toll receipts from neighbouring states are valid for? One year? Does it mean one can drive to the nearest toll, get themself a receipt, keep it safe and drive for one year in another state without any issue? Is it really that easy?

(Okay, as long as the owner gets PUC done from the parent state, as suggested by deehunk in the following post).

Last edited by Col Mehta : 4th January 2018 at 13:42.
Col Mehta is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 13:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

The emission test certificate and the traffic violation videos is a centralized data, Police can use this to track how long a vehicle has been used inside in one particular state. Clever people often get the emission test done in their native states to trick Police and RTO. I remember an incident in Bangalore when a car with other state registration was stopped, the owner claimed to be in the city only for few days. The Cops showed the history of his presence not for few days but for more than a year.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 13:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

The thing with India is, people go all ga ga when rules are introduced thinking there will be a change, things will change, country will change, the new government is revolutionary, evolutionary but the thing is, they are handing over the enforcement of these rules to the very thugs for whom nothing has changed, neither how they enforce the rules, neither how they will be persecuted if someone complains against them or neither corruption at their end.

These fools will enforce rules as they deem fit because with more rules, evil and unnecessary power has come to their hands, couple that with the lawless court system in this country, a normal working man cannot take holidays from work to fight court cases for weeks and years, hence he has to succumb to this thuggery by paying up even if he is not at fault or if a bribe is asked.

The rule book of this country is built to accommodate corruption, from top to bottom!
humyum is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 14:44   #22
BHPian

Very very off topic: Once I was stopped for no offense of mine and obviously the guy wanted something to be paid to him. I brought him to the side where my kid was sitting and then said in a loud but polite voice, "see beta, in India if you have done nothing wrong, and police uncle of your grandfather's age still stop you, you should pay bribe like this to them, okay beta?" The guy said, just go sir, go.
ambujlal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 14:59   #23
BHPian

I stayed in Chennai from 2009 till 2014. I drove around in my Odisha registered car, was stopped many times for PUC and License checks but never ever for Other States Registration.
This is first time I am hearing that there is a crackdown in TN for other state cars. Many people register in Pondicherry to evade taxes. Will they be considered too?
Old 4th January 2018, 15:23   #24
BHPian

I guess this must be an one-off activity around new year. I was also stopped for overspeeding - 69 as per their speed gun on 29th in ECR. I've driven in unmentionable speeds in ECR/OMR with no cops in sight in the stretch.
Old 4th January 2018, 15:34   #25
BHPian

Have been stopped couple of times over last 2 years while visiting my parents in Chennai.Even when you have toll receipt and other documents in place ,common question is Road permit even for personal car .I once argued with an Inspector he had impounded my car ,since i had a lawyer friend could get out of the situation .

speaking local language does not help in some case aswell . Cops in MH are very corrupt specially around shiridi , nashik , solapur on the highways and demand money from every outstation cars.
Old 4th January 2018, 17:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Have been stopped couple of times over last 2 years while visiting my parents in Chennai.Even when you have toll receipt and other documents in place ,common question is Road permit even for personal car .I once argued with an Inspector he had impounded my car ,since i had a lawyer friend could get out of the situation .

speaking local language does not help in some case aswell . Cops in MH are very corrupt specially around shiridi , nashik , solapur on the highways and demand money from every outstation cars.
Is not RC copy valid throughout the country? What Road permit are you referring here? While travelling to other state I ensure to carry below:
1. RC Original and copy
2. Insurance copy
3. Emission certificate
4. ID card copies
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 18:14   #27
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I drive in Chennai with Tiruppur district license plate and was caught few times.

These are some of the prominent locations:
  1. 100 Ft road /Velachery road junction near Phoenix mall
  2. Venkatnarayana Road near Nandanam Signal
  3. Chennai One/Thoraipakkam junction after taking left into the Chennai one road
  4. Near hotel Buhari signal at Nandanam (opp to YMCA).
  5. Nanganallur road /GST road junction near IOCL petrol bunk.
  6. Opp to Ashok Leyland office on GST Road/Sardar Patel road junction in Guindy

No 5 and 6 locations are very particular in stopping other district/state vehicles and are very active during off-peak hours and work on Sundays as well.

How to avoid:

1. Drive in the rightmost lane to bye pass Nanganallur/GST junction.
2. Take the left lane (left side of the Metro Pillar) while coming from Guindy or take Ashok Nagar/Vadapalani road in the Cathipara flyover.

The four locations (1 to 4) mentioned are predominantly to catch two-wheeler guys.
RGK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 18:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
I drive in Chennai with Tiruppur district license plate and was caught few times.
This is news. Why should they catch other TN vehicles? The road tax is the same, so really nothing to evade. This is not like Bombay, where they had LBT, Octroi

Off late there are umpteen TN-76 (Tenkasi) and TN-69 (Tuticorin) taxis I see on a daily basis.

Aren't the places you're mentioning catching bikes that signal jump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeep_Kimster View Post
Many people register in Pondicherry to evade taxes. Will they be considered too?
It used to happen in the 80s and 90s. Nowadays I see some rare high end cars in PY plates. Mass market cars and luxury segment like Audis and Beemers are with TN plates. A month or so back, even spotted a TN-72 Mustang.

In around Pondy (like Cuddalore for example) and Karaikal, you might see more.
Old 4th January 2018, 21:13   #29
BHPian

I think some supreme authority needs to intervene here and end such a menace. The dimwitted local authorities always search for new ways to harass people eg: In KA a bill was proposed to ban pillion riders on 2 wheelers with engines less than 100 cc which was later scrapped by the court.

Harassing innocent citizens like this, is against our fundamental freedom to travel freely and reside in any part of India in my opinion.

Also hasn't the cost of almost all cars become more or less the same across the country after introduction of GST ? Experts please throw light on this aspect.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:03   #30
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This is news.

Off late there are umpteen TN-76 (Tenkasi) and TN-69 (Tuticorin) taxis I see on a daily basis.

Aren't the places you're mentioning catching bikes that signal jump?
It is a kind of harassment only. My car was having a plastic license plate (got from Bangalore) and was fined Rs 100/-. The cop was arguing, "Sir, fancy plate. Not as per govt specification". So, I replaced with Signsindia plate. Other district tourist taxis and political party vehicles are mostly let free.

Signal jump, Not wearing helmets and Photostat copy of license are some of the common reasons.

They feel that other district drivers are easily vulnerable and better target for bribes. I sent an email to home secretary as well, but no improvement.
Attached Images

RGK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks