Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2018, 19:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault @ Auto Expo 2018

And how is the Kwid rated for build and safety now?

When I first saw one I thought it was amazing for a car of its price and size... only to be disappointed by what I subsequently read. Years have past: has it improved?
Old 15th February 2018, 19:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And how is the Kwid rated for build and safety now?

.....has it improved?

Not really.

Last known media article claims the Brazil-spec car scored 3 stars (Latin NCAP) while the Indian-spec originally scored 0 (Global NCAP), then scored 1 with a revised car with reinforced driver side specifically for offset crash test.

Another older article compares the two cars. Build and safety-specific points quoted below (emphasis mine):

Quote:

The primary difference between the Brazil-spec Kwid and the India-spec hatch is that the former comes standard with four airbags (dual front and side thorax airbags) along with ABS (anti-lock braking system) and EBD (electronic brake-force distribution). The Renault Kwid for the Indian market offers only a driver’s airbag, which too is optional, while ABS+EBD and multiple airbags are not even on the equipment list.....

....Global NCAP (New Car Assessment Program) blew the whistle on the Kwid last year when it crash-tested the India-made hatchback. The crash test scores were nothing to speak of (similar to the test scores of its primary rivals - the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 and the Hyundai Eon). Later that year, Renault made a few changes to the structure of the hatchback and at a later test, the Kwid managed to score a one-star rating. After the test, the Global NCAP had stated that the structural reinforcements were implemented only on the driver side and that there were no reinforcements made on the passenger side of the updated Kwid......

....The Kwid in Brazil weighs nearly 100 kg more than the hatchback produced here.....

....Brazil-spec Kwid looks identical to the model sold here, but there are noticeable differences. To begin with, it rides on fatter and wider tyres (165/70 cross-section) wrapped around larger 14-inch alloy wheels with a gunmetal finish. The Indian version comes with 13-inch steel wheels shod with 155/80 cross-section tyres......

P.S. Who needs a better built car when we can have Iron Man and Captain America decals to protect us, in addition to the primary idol on the dashboard

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th February 2018 at 19:59. Reason: Additional points

Most Viewed