Team-BHP - The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/195210-toyota-yaris-edit-prices-start-rs-8-75-lakh-10.html)

The official teaser ad for the upcoming Yaris sedan:

https://youtu.be/16feW6_oFEA

Is this having gesture controls for the Audio system, going by the movement of hand at around 11 seconds? some competition to the BMW :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4372323)
Is this having gesture controls for the Audio system, going by the movement of hand at around 11 seconds? some competition to the BMW :)

YEs it does have gesture control. However it's a hit and miss. You need to place your hand quite close to the screen. It is nowhere close to the BMW system.

Just came across this on Twitter regarding Toyota Yaris :

Twitter Link

An advert in TOI today mentions following as unique offerings in its segment:

1. CVT-i
2. Paddle shifters
3. Roof mounted AC vents

The bookings, it says, will open by end of April.

Apologies if this information is a repetition.

How is paddle shifters a unique offering in this segment? I understand even the City has it. On the contrary, I sincerely pray that they give 6 airbags and ABS+EBD as standard across the range given Toyota being at the forefront of offering safe cars to mass market folks, unlike others.

As usual, Toyota has shown that they don't have a clue about exterior design with the cluttered front end they have come up with; even the Etios of a decade ago looks better in that area.

That apart, this looks like an interesting car. I assume that the engine is a more evolved version of the one in the petrol Etios that is already a good unit. And the CVT is most welcome. Lots of bells and whistles and with Toyota one does not have a doubt if they will last over the life of the car.

With my experience of Toyota after sales, I endorse the positive comments made earlier; nobody in India does it better. And for a much higher price, the luxury brands perhaps match it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunramaswamy (Post 4373635)
I sincerely pray that they give 6 airbags and ABS+EBD as standard across the range...

ABS + EBD across the range, possible. But 6 airbags across the range? Might happen only if they come out with one (or maybe two) fully loaded variant(s).

With Yaris only in petrol, it could be to stop sales to taxi segment. Etios may continue in diesel targeting the commercial taxi market.

Forgot to add, the advert also spoke about 6 airbags and company fitted TPMS.

Didn't mention anything about variants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver (Post 4373130)
An advert in TOI today mentions following as unique offerings in its segment:

1. CVT-i
2. Paddle shifters
3. Roof mounted AC vents

The bookings, it says, will open by end of April.

Apologies if this information is a repetition.

2018 Toyota Yaris to be launched in India on April 24.

Quote:

Dealerships in various parts of the country have already begun accepting bookings for an amount ranging from Rs 50,000 to Rs 1 lakh. The dealerships have all confirmed that they will begin deliveries of the Toyota Yaris from April 24

Link

Pros -
1 Its a Toyota.
2 Hopefully very reliable and long lasting.
3 Spacious car with large boot.

Cons -
1 Looks ordinary, nothing special at all.
2 Will surely going to be costly affair. Expecting 18 Lakhs on road for top end.
3 Ordinary interiors, nothing great here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 4374097)
Cons -
1 Looks ordinary, nothing special at all.
2 Will surely going to be costly affair. Expecting 18 Lakhs on road for top end.
3 Ordinary interiors, nothing great here.

My questions/comments:

1. Looks are subjective. I agree it is not a sharp or precise design. The front view is too busy.

2. If the top end OTR is 18 Lakhs, one may as well get the Corolla Altis if the bigger size is not a concern. One is certain to get a lot more quality there.

3. How do you know about the interiors? Impression only from pictures may be misleading. If you have seen the interiors in person, kindly elaborate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asitkde (Post 4374104)
My questions/comments:

1. Looks are subjective. I agree it is not a sharp or precise design. The front view is too busy.

2. If the top end OTR is 18 Lakhs, one may as well get the Corolla Altis if the bigger size is not a concern. One is certain to get a lot more quality there.

3. How do you know about the interiors? Impression only from pictures may be misleading. If you have seen the interiors in person, kindly elaborate.

1 Front looks more or less updated Etios, that's bad.

2 Toyota's are always costly, if it costs less, good for customers. But i really doubt.

3. I have seen the video. Nothing special i found.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 4374107)
1 Front looks more or less updated Etios, that's bad.

Which is not a bad thing after all. It has neutral looks. You want to know what's bad and overdone, take a look at the XUV 5OO facelift thread. You will know what's bad. Honestly, any Toyota product is like your homely girlfriend. Will surely not win any beauty contest. However will not be an eyesore either.

Quote:

2 Toyota's are always costly, if it costs less, good for customers. But i really doubt.

But it will probably outlast the 15 year registration period comfortably. I am not even bringing resale, parts availability and cost and ASS competency into picture yet. I have a very good friend of mine here in Australia who has both a Yaris and a Falcon. Yaris has completed more than 200K kms and does not have a single rattle. All he has done till date is change fluids. He swears by Yaris' reliability. That's what you get from a Toyota.

Quote:

3. I have seen the video. Nothing special i found.

It is not built to wow the owner, it is built to serve its owner with a purpose, which is to ensure everything is well screwed up and does not rattle even after heavy abuse. It may be utilitarian, but it screams quality. I had a Liva and had completed 40K on it before I sold it. Trust me I have abused it to a very high level and yet not a single rattle in it. I am sure every Etios /Liva owner has something similar to share.

On the whole, finally something to look forward in C2 segment for someone who is looking to have a peaceful ownership yet enjoy all the comforts and safety a car can give to its owners.