Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2018, 01:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Want to give away my Fiat Palio GTX. EDIT: BHPian takes delivery

This is amazing.

Just goes to show what a car means to us in this community.

rlg - hats off.

Regards,
Pinin
Old 11th April 2018, 04:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
I have a GTX SP PS
What is a GTX SP PS? As in, what more or less do you get over the GTX? I know the PS stands for power steering and this was usually found on the base 1.2l version. Never heard of Fiat specifying a version like "SP PS' for the 1.6l.
Old 11th April 2018, 06:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What is a GTX SP PS? As in, what more or less do you get over the GTX? I know the PS stands for power steering and this was usually found on the base 1.2l version. Never heard of Fiat specifying a version like "SP PS' for the 1.6l.
SP = Safety pack. A very rare number of Palios that came with an airbag and if I am not mistaken ABS as well.

rlg, had I seen your post in time I would have jumped on the opportunity. But I am sure fellow bhpian mickie will do equal justice to her.

Btw, I have a working speedometer, a bottle of unused paraflu coolant and the original hazard triangle from my Palio still around with me somewhere. If you need it, give me a shout.
moralfibre is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 09:19   #19
BHPian

What a lovely story. I am die hard Fiat fan (Has started my career at Fiat's Ranjangaon plant as a GET). My heart filled with gratitude for such a nice gesture from you both. A true blue BHPian spirit.
Old 11th April 2018, 09:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What is a GTX SP PS? As in, what more or less do you get over the GTX?
Palio GTX SP was the rare variant that came with ABS & Driver side airbag. I believe not many Palio GTX SP were sold, hence this particular car is so rare. AFAIK when the Palio NV came in 04, the SP variants were discontinued.

Here is a Palio brochure:

Want to give away my Fiat Palio GTX. EDIT: BHPian takes delivery-palio-brochure-1.jpg

Want to give away my Fiat Palio GTX. EDIT: BHPian takes delivery-palio-brochure-2.jpg

Want to give away my Fiat Palio GTX. EDIT: BHPian takes delivery-palio-brochure-3.jpg

Want to give away my Fiat Palio GTX. EDIT: BHPian takes delivery-palio-brochure-4.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 11th April 2018 at 09:51.
chiranjitp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 10:15   #21
Team-BHP Support

Such a noble thing to do. I shared this on my FB wall as well as within friends groups.
If i hadn't seen it here, i possibly may never have believed it could happen.
benbsb29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 12:04   #22
BHPian

Wow - very interesting story. Wish this was in my city. Would get thrown out of my home for sure if I did adopt this.

I had read up a lot about this specific version the GTX SP PS and was very keen on getting it in 2002, however dropped the plan because of a very casual attitude of Fiat sales team then who showed no interest in bringing the vehicle for TD.

Wish the new owner the best of luck and please do post updates of what is being done to get it back to good condition.
Old 12th April 2018, 12:45   #23
BHPian

What a lovely car this is and a happy ending for it too! I remember back then Sachin had said the ABS takes away the natural feeling of braking modulation when he was the brand ambassador, and Fiat India launched the other variant without ABS after Sachin's view on it. Yes this bit of trivia is true & it was during the same time he was "gifted" a 360 Modena which he "sold" later on.

We were shopping for a family car & thought the Honda City Vtec was a bomb @9.5 lakh OTR in 2003, literally and figuratively when we test drove it and felt it's acceleration and tyre spin in second gear with the sales person shocked with a high heart beat, the last year it was available for sale. It fell out of favour for it's high price, and the next two contenders were the Palio GTX and Sienna sedan and the Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt. Ford won the battle due to the Rocam engine buzz & a boot and OTR @6 lakh in 2003 with LTT. The Palio was a crazy drivers machine, but it's interiors lost out to what Ford offered on the Ikon for us, and also the fact that very few people were buying it. Sienna was an odd ball with ungainly proportions and was given a miss. Adventure too standing in the same showroom seemed like a Tata Estate to me as a kid at 15 years of age

Sorry for going a little OT, but these memories at the turn of the millenium circa 02-03 came rushin in after the GTX SP read through

Last edited by Ford5 : 12th April 2018 at 12:57.
Ford5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 23:07   #24
BHPian

Superb initiative by rig, There will be many jewels which needs a loving home and a good restoration. Rather than scraping cars its better to give it for free to some one who loves it and may be some day the previous owner can get to drive it and get back to sweet old memories for a moment.
Old 13th April 2018, 07:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Very nice gesture rlg - you have made so many of us smile with happiness.

FYI, this is not the first car/bike giveaway on tbhp.

Fiat Uno by fiatlover7
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4271918

Opel Astra 1.6 GS by boreaux
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4017162

LML Piaggio Star ES by five46
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3578884
samaspire is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 10:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Adventure too standing in the same showroom seemed like a Tata Estate to me as a kid at 15 years of age
I most definitely would not think that a Fiat Siena Adventure was similar looking to a TATA Estate. They are poles apart. Then again, you were 15 years old.

The Siena Adventure was almost like a car that Subaru sell today as the Outback. Mild off road capability and Fiat India did market it this way. It was an attractive car for sure. The slightly raised stance took away that uncle estate wagon look that the Suzuki Altura had.

Can't ever forgive Tendulkar for selling his Ferrari Modena that Michael Schumacher gifts him.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th April 2018 at 10:17.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 20:23   #27
BHPian

What a superb story of the original Hot Hatch.
As my screen name suggests, I was a proud owner of a Palio GTX and I enjoyed it to the core.
And believe me, your conditions were bang on as it is a real pain to let the car go and that is the reason to relate your story personally.
But all well that ends well. I am sure the new owner is also as caring, loving and passionate. Wish him millions of happy rides.
Adding a snap of my car, hope you like it
Attached Thumbnails
Want to give away my Fiat Palio GTX. EDIT: BHPian takes delivery-palio.jpg  

Orange GTX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 04:36   #28
Team-BHP Support

Wow, simply superb. Being an ex-owner of a Palio 1.2, I always wanted to own a 1.6 GTX, but don't think it will happen. If I had seen this earlier I might have been tempted to go to Bangalore all way from Kolkata Wish the GTX and its new owner many miles of happiness!
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks