Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2018, 15:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs

Thanks to Gagan Modi of Mycarhelpline for bringing this to our attention.

Hyundai has finally listed electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) on the feature list of cars like the Grand i10, Xcent & Elite i20.

Back in 2013 when the Grand i10 was launched, Hyundai offered only ABS on the top spec Asta(O) trim. There was no mention of "EBD" on the spec sheet, thereby raising suspicion whether it was offered or simply cut under the accountant's knife. Later in 2014, when the Elite i20 was launched, the company again only mentioned ABS on the spec-sheet, but not EBD. The company only listed EBD on the spec-sheet of higher end cars like the Creta.

It now appears that Hyundai has silently added the EBD option on the spec-sheet. While it's not yet known whether the company offered EBD earlier and just skipped mentioning it, we're happy with the confirmation. The company now offers standard ABS + EBD on the Elite i20, Verna and Creta, while the Grand i10 gets it from the Sportz variant onwards and the Xcent from the SX trim and beyond. That said, Hyundai has missed an opportunity here to add ABS and EBD to its entry level car, the Eon.

EBD varies the amount of braking force applied to each of the wheels depending on the wheel speed, road conditions and load in the car. While the anti-lock brakes (ABS) can be installed standalone, EBD systems always come paired with ABS.

Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-hyundaigrandi1024.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 23rd April 2018 at 15:47.
blackwasp is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:57   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs

There was a lot of confusion on this topic and am glad to see it's finally sorted (rather, added?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
As usual, excellent Review GTO. Thanks very much.

BTW, I just found out this car doesn't have EBD. The same I found in Ecosport too. Besides charging so much for this Grand i10 Asta (O), I feel it's a bad idea by Hyundai for not providing EBD in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anu007 View Post
CONs:
1. No EBD. This is really a reproachable approach of Hyundai to omit EBD in cars upto Verna. (Have not checked the 2017 verna though.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
While the specs don't mention EBD explicitly, I would be very surprised that EBD is absent but ABS is standard. Most of the cars today have EBD along with ABS as EBD is a subsystem of the ABS module.

This can be double confirmed but I highly doubt EBD is not part of the ABS package in any of today's cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
It will be great if we can get this confirmed. VW too doesn't mention EBD along with ABS. And Hyundai does mention ABS+EBD for the Creta, but not for the i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anu007 View Post
Yes. I too beg to defer in case of EBD.
For the premium cars from Hyundai stable (Creta, Elantra & Tucson) they have clearly mentioned EBD in the feature list. But for cars up to Verna, only ABS is mentioned.
So clearly, the canny Hyundai management were probably able to read the customer's mindset and found a good way to cut cost by omitting EBD, as they guessed correctly that many Indian will overlook this and will be satisfied seeing presence of ABS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
I have a question to elite owners I am looking to buy asta (o) when I was researching I found the ebd option missing in elite but the sales guy at showroom I visited insists that ebd is a part of abs and not mentioned separate can anyone confirm the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Don't worry. EBD is a subsystem of the ABS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3893546

Referring to an earlier post, It is not clear whether Elite I20 ABS includes EBD too. Specification of Elite i20 says ABS alone.

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html

whereas the older post shows a snapshot of Creta specifications that shows ABS with EBD. I doubt highly if EBD is present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
Exactly my doubt previous posts say it absent and it's mentioned separate as ABS plus EBD so there is no proper clarity but SA kept on insisting that it is available SA words can't taken at face value given the fact they would say anything to sell
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:02   #3
BHPian

Being an ex engineer with Hyundai Mobis and having worked with software of ABS systems, I can assure you two things:

1. If your ABS unit is manufactured by Hyundai Mobis and fitted in your car, it will have EBD by default. The software checks if ABS is active, EBD comes into play. Most of the ABS manufactures pair it with EBD for better stability of car.

2. I highly doubt this system made by Hyundai Mobis made it to Indian car as it was designed for cars starting from Hyundai Elantra. I came to know this from engine profiles in software. The engines used in i10, i10 Grand or Elite i20 didn't fit the engine profile when I looked up on software. If any one can share photographic evidence of Hyundai Mobis unit in above cars, then I can be corrected. I am unsure about Verna. The ABS unit in Hyundai Indian cars comes from Mando or any other Korean supplier. ABS unit is easily recognisable in a car.

Last edited by rst89 : 23rd April 2018 at 21:11.
rst89 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There was a lot of confusion on this topic and am glad to see it's finally sorted (rather, added?).
As I heard or rather saw in an YouTube video, it seems the service manuals had ABS mentioned in conjunction with EBD for i20, i10 and the likes but am not quite sure why this wouldn't be advertised as a feature. On the video the presenter indicated that the system must have been in a testing phase still.

On a personal front, this was one of the deciding factor to not choose an i20 over others. Still contemplating if the petrol would be a good enough bet post this update.
Old 24th April 2018, 10:56   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
but am not quite sure why this wouldn't be advertised as a feature
If a manufacturer cares enough to list an 'antenna', 'roof lamp' and 'tachometer' as features of the car, there is no way they would miss out something like EBD. No way. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it was recently added to these cars.

Source
Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If a manufacturer cares enough to list an 'antenna', 'roof lamp' and 'tachometer' as features of the car, there is no way they would miss out something like EBD. No way.
Same thoughts here. I was referring to this video which was posted exactly a month back. Can be taken with a pinch of salt on the veracity.

sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 12:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The first gen i20, from 2008 - 2012 came with ABS+EBD. It is also mentioned in the brochure. Let me check if i have the brochure. I will post a screen shot
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 13:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
If any one can share photographic evidence of Hyundai Mobis unit in above cars
Here you go, Part no and Software version. Sep 14 Elite i20 Asta Diesel ABS unit.

Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-abs.jpg

Edit: Also, a few off-topic questions for you.How does ABS unit cope with minor or major change in tyre size?

1. Minor change, say from 195/55R16 to 205/55R16?

2. Major change, say from 195/55R16 to 205/60R16?

3. Is overall tyre diameter a big factor in proper functioning of ABS units?

4. How does ABS function in case of braking after a tyre blowout, where diameter of one tyre goes completely out of whack?

Last edited by sidhu_hs : 24th April 2018 at 14:14.
sidhu_hs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 14:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Here you go, Part no and Software version. Sep 14 Elite i20 Asta Diesel ABS unit.

Attachment 1755244

1. Minor change, say from 195/55R16 to 205/55R16?

2. Major change, say from 195/55R16 to 205/60R16?

3. Is overall tyre diameter a big factor in proper functioning of ABS units?

4. How does ABS function in case of braking after a tyre blowout, where diameter of one tyre goes completely out of whack?
Thanks for the picture.
HUBA is Swiss company. Their website doesn't list whether they manufacture ABS products but they are into manufacturing of sensors.
IB is the code for Elite i20 vehicle.
I am little bit confused. Frankly, MEB4 stands for Mobis Electronic brake (4th gen) but it has to be manufactured by Mobis and not by other supplier. Can someone more pictures of ABS units from Hyundai cars? I would prefer pic from Elantra for quick comparison.

Regarding answer to your questions:

Tyre change doesn't affect ABS performance given all your four tyres are of same size. But ABS is smart enough to detect when your three wheels are normal ones, say of size 205/55R16 and the spare wheel is 195/55R16. Here, ABS detects a spare wheel is attached and corresponding algorithm in ABS software takes decisions.

In case of Tyre blowout, all three wheels would be sending say 'x' speed using wheel sensors while the blowout wheel is sending 'y' speed. And then you have a vehicle speed which some other controller is sending to ABS unit. So the 'y' speed is not plausible. Depending upon the strategies of OEM, he will glow the mid lamp on your dashboard that ABS unit is not working in a proper way.

Last edited by rst89 : 24th April 2018 at 14:56.
rst89 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 15:33   #10
BHPian

This addition also does one more thing. One of the biggest things Grand i10 Automatic was lacking, was ABS, making it one of the costliest cars without that feature. Now that ABS along with EBD is available as standard from Sportz and not just Asta, it makes it a much easier car to recommend.

Perhaps seeing that it is surrounded by Maruti cars like Swift and Ignis which have these features as standard compelled Hyundai. Still not as good as providing it standard across all variants like they did with i20, but still a welcome addition nonetheless.
Old 24th April 2018, 16:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
This addition also does one more thing. One of the biggest things Grand i10 Automatic was lacking, was ABS, making it one of the costliest cars without that feature. Now that ABS along with EBD is available as standard from Sportz and not just Asta, it makes it a much easier car to recommend.
Looks like Automatic is only available on Magna and Sportz variants. Both of which don't have ABS/EBD.

So it's still not a option to buy for safety conscious people. Some genius work there by Hyundai.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-1524565946667.jpg  

Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-1524566027797.jpg  

Last edited by SchumiFan : 24th April 2018 at 16:06.
SchumiFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 16:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone more pictures of ABS units from Hyundai cars?
From Hyundai Tucson's Official Review (Petrol Variant)

Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-2016hyundaitucson03.jpg

Last edited by sidhu_hs : 24th April 2018 at 16:46.
sidhu_hs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 17:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
From Hyundai Tucson's Official Review (Petrol Variant)

Attachment 1755325
Generally OEM take parts from many suppliers. Tuscon has ESC (electronic stability control) and is supplied by Mando as I said in earlier posts. So it has all features like traction control, ABS with EBD, vehicle stability management (VSM), hill hold assist.
rst89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 21:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Generally OEM take parts from many suppliers.
While on this topic can you tell me the supplier for i20's diesel turbocharger? I have tried so hard to find it but it's hidden by the air intake plumbing. Thanks in advance!
Old 24th April 2018, 23:33   #15
BHPian

So does it mean the the previous year's i20 also doesn't have EBD? This is all very confusing. There have been mixed news. Some say ABS comes with EBD in Hyundai i20 while some say it's seperate from the ABS.

Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks