Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2018, 18:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 CVT launched at Rs. 7.04 lakh

Hyundai has announced the pricing for the CVT variants of the Elite i20. The automatic gearbox is offered with the 1.2-litre petrol engine and in the Magna Executive and Asta trims, with prices starting at Rs. 7.04 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Hyundai Elite i20 CVT launched at Rs. 7.04 lakh-new-2018-elite-i20-cvt.jpg

The Elite i20 CVT features Hyundai's cascade design front grille flanked by halogen headlamps at the front and new tail lamp clusters at the rear. The Asta variant gets features like fog lamps, rear parking sensors, rear view camera and 15-inch alloy wheels.

The car comes with dual-tone interiors and features a 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink connectivity and navigation. It gets a multi-functional steering wheel, automatic climate control with rear AC vents and a rear seat armrest with cup holders.

Powering the Elite i20 CVT is a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 115 Nm @ 4,000 rpm.

Safety features like ABS with EBD and dual front airbags are offered as standard on both variants.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 21:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 CVT launched at Rs. 7.04 lakh

The Car in the image is the Asta (O) variant right? Is this an official photo from Hyundai.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 23:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
The Car in the image is the Asta (O) variant right? Is this an official photo from Hyundai.
No idea if official, but most news reports seem to be carrying a photo of the Asta(O) variant. Some like NDTV Car & Bike are even wrongly claiming that variant (or its features) are available with the CVT.

Quote:
The 2018 Hyundai i20 CVT automatic is offered in the mid and top-level trims, and the come loaded with most bells and whistles. The car gets projector headlamps, LED DRLs, cornering lights,
R.I.P. proof-reading.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 08:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 Asta CVT Walkaround Video

There is no Asta (O) variant on offer in CVT !!
CarguyNish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 09:21   #5
BHPian

A pertinent question for Hyundai - What took you so long?? Indian car buyers' preferences have evolved and quite a few turned down the i20 only because it did not have a comparable AT option.
thehighwayman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 09:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The burning question - how is it to drive? The 1.2 engine barely just about cuts it with the manual stick shift. How it fares with a CVT with it's rubber band effect is what will decide it's fate. There seem to be no S mode or paddle shifts or virtual manual override on offer. Afraid this might end up like the Micra CVT, smooth but BORING.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 10:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The burning question - how is it to drive? The 1.2 engine barely just about cuts it with the manual stick shift. How it fares with a CVT with it's rubber band effect is what will decide it's fate. There seem to be no S mode or paddle shifts or virtual manual override on offer. Afraid this might end up like the Micra CVT, smooth but BORING.
I also think it might. But then I guess there is a sizeable audience that is ok with it. There would definitely be a set of customers for whom the boring drive would be compensated by its good looks, the premium feel inside the cabin, the A.S.S and the convenience of the AT.

Would I go for it - most likely not. But many people would think otherwise.
RedHerring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 10:44   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
A pertinent question for Hyundai - What took you so long??
It's the first time a CVT is coming under the hood of a Hyundai in the Indian market. They were stuck with four and six speed TC boxes earlier.

The 1.4 petrol with the TC box (and our tax structure) made it very expensive compared to the competition.

CVT is more efficient in transferring power, so the 1.2 might just be enough. Enthusiasts might have to look elsewhere for sure.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 11:27   #9
BHPian

The CVT will surely be popular (well i20 petrol is popular!) as most people in city are just looking for a convenient A-B mode of transportation (performance wise), plus the premium feel offered by i20 is unmatched; the Baleno doest exactly feel premium to me and the Jazz looks overpriced.

There are reports in the forum that Jazz CVT drives better in the city than the manual, might just be the case with i20 too.
heavenlybull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 12:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
plus the premium feel offered by i20 is unmatched; the Baleno doest exactly feel premium to me and the Jazz looks overpriced.

Very true. If I had this option in January 18, when I purchased the Jazz CVT for around 9.70 OTR, I would have chosen the CVT i20 and broken the Honda Monotony in my stable. The Hyundai's do feel wow'ier than the Jazz or BRV. No complaints about my new City.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 12:49   #11
BHPian

Finally some common sense. They earlier priced their torque converter AT at 9.4 lacs which was higher than Jazz and in the territory of the GT TSI. This is a good pricing .
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 13:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

As I have mentioned in another thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4403879), even the Asta variant of the i20 misses key features which should be standard on a premium hatchback, irrespective of variants.
The Magna CVT & Asta CVT is supposed to cost about 7.96L & 9.2L on road respectively (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4403390)
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 10:53   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I appreciate Hyundai as, in this age of jerky AMTs, they have come out with a transmission that's even smoother than a torque-converter . I couldn't ever live with an AMT as its jerky nature is a deal breaker for me. Give me the rubber-band effect over annoying jerks any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
Yep, image shared by Hyundai in its press release. Guess they need a BHPian in the team .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 11:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I appreciate Hyundai as, in this age of jerky AMTs, they have come out with a transmission that's even smoother than a torque-converter
I won't say thats exceptional TBH, as in that particular segment(premium hatch) CVT is the norm since sometime now. Its direct competitions (Baleno and Jazz) come with CVT already since couple of years. Hyundai just caught up with the segment. And with growing popularity of automatics lately this will add to decent numbers since i20 petrol although being lacklusture sells pretty well. Hopefully just like Jazz, this CVT improves the in-city driveability of the i20 . Both Jazz & Baleno CVT sure would be affected by this one now.

But missing basic feature like rear wash/wipe is criminal in a ~10L car(9.85L OTR bangalore for ASTA AT)

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th May 2018 at 11:19.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 11:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Afraid this might end up like the Micra CVT, smooth but BORING.
I don't think anyone would be worried about excitement whilst buying a 1.2 litre petrol hatchback paired to a CVT. These are efficient urban transportation tools that get their job done with minimum fuss.

If I buy a CVT, my priority would be smoothness followed by the least amount of transmission whine inside the cabin (the Baleno CVT has a rather loud whine). I would't bother even if the car accelerates slower than the rate of tectonic plate movements.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 28th May 2018 at 11:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks