Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2018, 12:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Datsun offering 5 years / unlimited km extended warranty

Datsun is celebrating its fifth anniversary in India and to mark the occasion, it has launched the 'Peace of Mind' package. The package includes a 5 years / unlimited km extended warranty on the redi-GO, GO and GO+. The warranty covers the engine, AC compressor, ECU, alternator, shock absorbers and other components.

Datsun offering 5 years / unlimited km extended warranty-masterwithcars2.jpg

In addition to the warranty, the 'Peace of Mind' packages also includes 1-year free insurance, free roadside assistance with facilities like 24x7 customer helpline, lost key assistance, fuel assistance, battery jump start and hotel and cab arrangement in case of breakdowns. Datsun is also offering free pick and drop facility for regular services and special schemes for government employees.

The 'Peace of Mind' package is transferable, in case the owner decides to sell his car.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 12:35   #2
BHPian

Re: Datsun offering 5 years / unlimited km extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Datsun is celebrating its fifth anniversary in India and to mark the occasion, it has launched the 'Peace of Mind' package. The package includes a 5 years / unlimited km extended warranty on the redi-GO, GO and GO+. The warranty covers the engine, AC compressor, ECU, alternator, shock absorbers and other components.
A car maker who has been chided for poor build and heavy corner-cutting now sets the benchmark for warranty!

The question is how much the service experience itself will improve!?

I believe this is a sort of last-ditch effort to increase sales by a few percentage points.

Can someone tag the bosses from Volkswagen & Skoda to this, please?
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 13:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Datsun will get a shot in the arm if this helps maintain the sales number ticking. Also it is clear that the product quality has stabilized over a period of time. The decision of unlimited km run must have been taken on the basis of part failure reported by current pool of users.

All praises to Datsun.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 13:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Can someone tag the bosses from Volkswagen & Skoda to this, please?
IIRC, current Nissan India Head is former Head of Skoda India
blorebuddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
IIRC, current Nissan India Head is former Head of Skoda India
Whoa! really?! Then it looks like he finally did what he should have done years ago, albeit some place different
Old 6th July 2018, 01:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Datsun will get a shot in the arm if this helps maintain the sales number ticking. Also it is clear that the product quality has stabilized over a period of time. The decision of unlimited km run must have been taken on the basis of part failure reported by current pool of users.

All praises to Datsun.
I agree with you on this mate.Without that confidence, they would have not decided on this move.

Just curious whether they have also started providing dual airbags atleast or not.

If not, then that should be the next move along with ABS+EBD.

Good job Datsun.

Looking forward for other path defining decisions.
DieselTorq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 13:25   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Superb. It only takes one manufacturer to introduce something new, for the others to follow. Hopefully soon.

However, this won't benefit private owners as much as it will commercial owners. After all, the current standard for 5 year warranties is 100,000 km and how many of us will exceed that? A small percentage (stop grinning, paragsachania).

Taxi owners? You bet, although there might be a clause that it's not applicable to taxis. If it's covering taxis too, Datsun could be looking at some increase in demand from the Uber & Ola fellows.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 14:25   #8
BHPian

Datsun needs to improve the interiors of their cars to have any hope of improving market share. They need to learn a thing of two from Tata (Oh, the irony) about making well priced cars that don't look cheap.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 14:35   #9
BHPian

Wow ! reminds of KIA Australia which blew the competition away with 7 years unlimited warranty !

A step in the right direction. But I'm little sceptical on competition taking this seriously !

Afterall DATSUN is not a household name in India (or anywhere in the world)
Old 9th July 2018, 11:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, this won't benefit private owners as much as it will commercial owners.
A case where most of the current Datsun products have their buyer base from private owners while there are very few Datsun (Go and Go+) I have noticed in last 3 years with a Yellow Number plate!

Quote:
After all, the current standard for 5 year warranties is 100,000 km and how many of us will exceed that? A small percentage (stop grinning, paragsachania).
Honestly, I have so many cases where people haven't spent on extended warranty only because they are aware that they won't even cross that barrier in their entire ownership of the cars they intend to buy.

As for me, While I have never made a single warranty claim in the entire lifetime of WagonR's warranty coverage, I ended up claiming once to replace the noisy steering rack in my Ertiga at 57,000 Kms! I called myself lucky then as the ODO had not run out of this warranty limit.

Then when the most common synchronizer ring issue cropped up, my ODO was 97,000 Kms and in less than 3 years, I was unlucky because my car had already run out of the EW coverage and I had to get this replaced out of pocket.

Quote:
Taxi owners? You bet, although there might be a clause that it's not applicable to taxis. If it's covering taxis too, Datsun could be looking at some increase in demand from the Uber & Ola fellows.
Not sure but as I mentioned earlier, takers are very few from the Taxi segment and if this is a nice one to woo that particular segment of buyers, it may or may not not work with only this offering because as an overall product, I found the Datsun Go very flimsy right from Day 1. I had earlier referred about how an uncle of mine who happened to be the first driver ever in our family picked a Datsun Go (Datsun GO+ : Official Review) for whatever reasons despite living in a town where there is absolutely no coverage and the nearest ASC is at least 100/170 kms away.

In terms of pure engine mechanicals, at around 65,000 Kms on the ODO today, its fairly reliable. However, there were issues with suspension, left wheel bearing, exhaust, and whining noise in his car right in the initial years of ownership that he had to make a lot of runs to the ASC to get that fixed.

Since this is a thread about warranty and not about the overall product, I feel unless they make products for which they can find buyers, be that from private or taxi segment, this offer looks good only for the eyes.

And yes, go sell a Datsun in the market after driving for 1L kms and see what you get.

A friend who went car shopping was offered 1.5L (Nexa Dealer) and 1.3L (Tata dealer) for his 2013 92,000 kms run Chevy Sail Hatchback (D) sighting just one reason that the 'company is closed'. Finally Cars24 offered him 2.29L but since he would lose out on exchange bonus, he ultimately sold it to the dealer.

So even with very successful product portfolio (Or should I say, good product portfolio but still doesn't sell), the market today is getting wary about them shutting shop and walking away!

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th July 2018 at 11:28.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks