Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 13:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
I just booked my choice number on 20th December from Tardeo RTO. I only submitted down payment receipt, pan card and aadhar card copy and the guy at the window booked the number in less than 5 minutes. He didn't asked for Form 21.
This might be differing based on RTO (or possibly implemented since 2020). He actually showed me another set of documents a client had submitted which had Form 21 as well in it. They were very polite and helpful so I do not think they were giving excuses just to shoo me away.
Old 19th June 2020, 19:53   #32
BHPian

Hi does anyone know what is the procedure currently for number selection at Mumbai RTO's?
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:07   #33
BHPian

Does anyone have clarity if the four-wheeler number retention policy (Number portability) is in implementation in Maharashtra?
I have a VIP number that I wish to transfer to another vehicle, visits to the RTO have been futile, they have no clue that it exists anywhere in India.
Old 5th December 2020, 08:50   #34
BHPian

I recently got the fancy number for my new Creta done myself from the Tardeo RTO (Mumbai). This may help others considering the same on their own.

Firstly, check the available numbers from the link https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/fancy...6F79B3070C16C9.

Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-procedure.jpg

The charges for fancy numbers start from 15000 rs and go all the way up to 400000 rs for no. 0001. However, if you want a personal number (eg birth date, year, etc) and this number is not in the fancy number list, it will only cost you 5000 rs.

Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-vip-number-list.jpg

Once you have chosen your number, you need a copy of vehicle booking proof. This can simply be the first receipt you get from the dealer at the time of booking. However, since the fancy number fee receipt is only valid for 30 days, you should book the fancy number once your delivery date is confirmed.

Someone has mentioned that he was asked for form 21. However, at the Tardeo RTO, this was not the case.

Next, you need to have a copy of 2 different address proofs. These can be any 2 from the below list.

Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-documents.jpg

Also, if your payment is more than 10000 rs, you need to have a DD for the exact amount in favor of the concerned RTO (in my case it was RTO MUMBAI EAST).

When you arrive at the RTO armed with the DD, address proofs and the vehicle booking proof, you will be given a form to fill. The form will take just 2 minutes of your time - only your contact details, address, and the fancy number required have to be filled in. (This was done at counter no. 4 at the Tardeo RTO)

The person at the counter confirmed in his system that the number I had entered was available and asked me to get the form signed from another counter. Once I got this done and returned the form, he generated my "Advance Number Fee Receipt" and handed it over to me. You must check that all details in this sheet are correct. Mine had 2 spelling errors and he had to re-do this. This is another reason I would do this on my own instead of getting it done through some agent (the other obvious reason being the insane money they charge). This receipt can be scanned and mailed to your dealer who will then attach it to Form-20 used for registration of your vehicle.

The entire process took less than 30 min. I arrived at 1030 (the counter is supposed to remain open from 1015 to 1400 hrs). There was no queue (maybe arriving early on a weekday helped). There was a copier machine facility available onsite in case you needed it. No originals are required to be carried (in case you use an agent, he won't have these anyway). Only don't expect a fancy environment or treatment and you should get your job done peacefully.

Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-rto.jpg

The RTO has a contact number which you can easily obtain from Justdial / google. But nobody ever picks it up. However, having it done myself, I don't see any reason to give insane money to these agents to get it done (I was quoted 15000 rs for a 15000 rs number with no scope of bargaining!). At most, you might end up doing 2 visits if things go wrong.

Also, I have clicked and attached all the possible information available at the RTO to make it easier for someone doing it for the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-procedure-3.jpg  

Last edited by AK79 : 5th December 2020 at 09:02.
AK79 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 15:29   #35

Sorry for bumping up an old thread. Could someone please clarify if the procedure for booking a fancy/choice number is the same as mentioned earlier, even after the dealer registration process has been initiated?

Looking to book a number at the MH 02 Andheri RTO.
Old 17th December 2021, 00:29   #36
BHPian

Booked a choice number at the Mumbai Central RTO (MH 01) today. Expecting delivery of my XUV 700 next week. The process is smooth as butter.

Have been following the current MH 01 DX series, while waiting for the car delivery. The moment I finished PDI of the vehicle at the dealer stockyard, I rushed to the RTO with the required documents. Since I wanted a number which denotes a year of birth and the number was coming up in the ongoing series, the charge was only 5000/-. If one wants a number which is beyond 1000 numbers from the current digits, the charge is 7500/-.

Documents required:
1) Copy of Booking Receipt or Proforma Invoice.
2) Copy of Aadhar Card (ID Proof).
3) Copy of Address Proof (Passport etc).
4) DD in favour of "RTO Mumbai Central".
In addition to this, the RTO guy sitting at the window will give you a form that needs to be filled, which contains details of your name, number, e-mail etc and the vehicle number that you want to reserve.

This bunch needs to be submitted to window E-18, within the RTO premises. The guy there will scrutinise the documents, fill in the details under "Office Copy" and hand it over to you to get it signed from the Deputy RTO. His cabin is in C-block. Currently, a Mr. Jadhav holds charge. He will sign on the form. Once that is done, you have to submit the whole bunch to window E-11. The guy there will enter all details on his system; please ensure your mobile number is linked to Aadhar as the address captured in the system is auto-filled from the Aadhar database. He will then hand over 2 copies of the "Advance Number Fee Receipt" to you. Ensure all details are correct. You will also receive a confirmation SMS on the given mobile number. You have to hand over one copy of the receipt to the dealer, as they have to submit the same along with other forms for road tax and registration.

Please note that this reserved number is allotted to you for only 30 days; which means the car should be registered in your name by then. Hence, you cannot book a choce number much in advance of vehicle delivery. If the registration does not happen within 30 days of number booking, the reserved number is released back into the system and there is no provision for a fee refund.

The whole process does not even take half an hour and can be easily done yourself, instead of taking help from an agent. The RTO staff greatly appreciates and is very courteous if an individual himself/herself is doing the work and they will extend all possible assistance. Feel free to ask for help. You can also approach any uniformed RTO officer within the premises if you face any hurdles. There will be a plethora of agents wandering around, but make sure you don't entertain them, or else they will harass you.

Cheers!
IamNikhil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 22:59   #37
BHPian

They have a similar process in Pune RTO as well.

There is a common window (Window no 25) for both 2W & 4W. You will see it exactly in front of you while entering the RTO office main hall.

Overall the process is straightforward, and you will not need any agent if you have some patience and carry a polite attitude during the entire process.

Simple steps
1) Check and confirm the availability of the number/s on vahan site along with the price.
2) Make a DD from your bank towards R.T.O. Pune.
Tip:- Though the instructions say that you require DD only from nationalized banks, in reality, RTO also accepts DD from private banks.
3) Get aadhar, pancard, address proof copies.
4) Visit Pune RTO around 9.30/10 am along with DD and required documents.
5) Get the sample application form, go back in the line and start filling in details.
5) Patiently wait for all agents in front of you to submit their documents. Others agents will cut in between.
( Shant Gadadhari Bheem Shant !!)
6) The clerk takes the forms from agents but does not process them then and there. Thus submission takes only 5-10 mins.
7) Once the agents are gone, submit your form and ask him if anything else is needed.
8) There is a high chance that the clerk might process your documents immediately. Get a confirmation receipt.
Congratulations, you have your unique number!!
hrishig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 21:50   #38
BHPian

Anyone from Mumbai knows the form no. needed for the choice number booking, so that I can sign scan and send. The reason to ask is, I am out of India and since the vehicle is allotted to me I would like to book the number. I have kept copies of my adhaar and pan (self attested) at home for the same purpose. Thanks in advance
Old 21st October 2022, 17:42   #39
BHPian

Hello,

As I understand it, Parivahan website does not allow a Maharashtra user to even register on the website currently.

Is there another way to find out which fancy numbers are available?
Old 21st October 2022, 21:50   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deovrat View Post
Hello,

As I understand it, Parivahan website does not allow a Maharashtra user to even register on the website currently.

Is there another way to find out which fancy numbers are available?
Hi, You have to select 'Other Services' on VAHAN fancy number page and then you get the option to see all the fancy numbers available for your RTO after selecting the same from drop down menus.
Stolidus500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 10:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
They have a similar process in Pune RTO as well.

There is a common window (Window no 25) for both 2W & 4W. You will see it exactly in front of you while entering the RTO office main hall.

Overall the process is straightforward, and you will not need any agent if you have some patience and carry a polite attitude during the entire process.

Simple steps
1) Check and confirm the availability of the number/s on vahan site along with the price.
2) Make a DD from your bank towards R.T.O. Pune.
Thanks, hrishig! I am in the process of finalizing a two-wheeler and thinking of getting a choice number (my address falls under the MH 12 RTO). Could you please confirm the exact words needed on the DD? Is it - "R.T.O Pune" or "RTO Pune"?

I also have few questions - for the MH12 RTO, on the parivahan website (https://fancy.parivahan.gov.in/fancy...lNumbers.xhtml), I can see 4 active series listed in the dropdown. each says it is available to a particular type of vehicle. As an example, only VD series is available for non-transport 2w when I am posting this. My choice number is not available in this series. But its available in VB series which says that the series is available for transport 3w. Are different series available for different type of vehicles? Will I be able to bid for VB series given that my number of choice is available in that series?

And if the number you want has already passed in the current active series, is it possible to book the same number in the next series? or one needs to wait for that series to open/become active?

Appreciate any pointers I can get on this. An agent is charging 1200 as his fees, in addition to the DD amount, for doing this. But going through this thread, it looks like a simple enough process, and I might just do a DIY.
Old 2nd May 2023, 22:22   #42
BHPian

Here's a PSA.

Cross city registration is now stopped. I visited the Thane RTO seeing the series I want the number being available in and to my dismay was told that there was a directive in October or November, prohibiting any addresses outside the RTO jurisdiction to be given any Choice numbers any longer. This has been made applicable to ALL RTO's across the state. Apparently, they weren't making enough revenue as if people who wanted a particular number and if that series was on the verge of being exhausted, they went to another RTO, instead of 'jumping-series' a new term learnt today. So now they're wanting people to buy their number (if exhausted from the ongoing series) from the Transport/Motorcycle category but the caveat here is that it costs 3x the going rate for a normal number.

Utterly disappointing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks