Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd January 2020, 13:48   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
I just booked my choice number on 20th December from Tardeo RTO. I only submitted down payment receipt, pan card and aadhar card copy and the guy at the window booked the number in less than 5 minutes. He didn't asked for Form 21.
This might be differing based on RTO (or possibly implemented since 2020). He actually showed me another set of documents a client had submitted which had Form 21 as well in it. They were very polite and helpful so I do not think they were giving excuses just to shoo me away.
Old 19th June 2020, 19:53   #32
BHPian

Hi does anyone know what is the procedure currently for number selection at Mumbai RTO's?
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:07   #33
BHPian

Does anyone have clarity if the four-wheeler number retention policy (Number portability) is in implementation in Maharashtra?
I have a VIP number that I wish to transfer to another vehicle, visits to the RTO have been futile, they have no clue that it exists anywhere in India.
Old 5th December 2020, 08:50   #34
BHPian

I recently got the fancy number for my new Creta done myself from the Tardeo RTO (Mumbai). This may help others considering the same on their own.

Firstly, check the available numbers from the link https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/fancy...6F79B3070C16C9.

Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-procedure.jpg

The charges for fancy numbers start from 15000 rs and go all the way up to 400000 rs for no. 0001. However, if you want a personal number (eg birth date, year, etc) and this number is not in the fancy number list, it will only cost you 5000 rs.

Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-vip-number-list.jpg

Once you have chosen your number, you need a copy of vehicle booking proof. This can simply be the first receipt you get from the dealer at the time of booking. However, since the fancy number fee receipt is only valid for 30 days, you should book the fancy number once your delivery date is confirmed.

Someone has mentioned that he was asked for form 21. However, at the Tardeo RTO, this was not the case.

Next, you need to have a copy of 2 different address proofs. These can be any 2 from the below list.

Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-documents.jpg

Also, if your payment is more than 10000 rs, you need to have a DD for the exact amount in favor of the concerned RTO (in my case it was RTO MUMBAI EAST).

When you arrive at the RTO armed with the DD, address proofs and the vehicle booking proof, you will be given a form to fill. The form will take just 2 minutes of your time - only your contact details, address, and the fancy number required have to be filled in. (This was done at counter no. 4 at the Tardeo RTO)

The person at the counter confirmed in his system that the number I had entered was available and asked me to get the form signed from another counter. Once I got this done and returned the form, he generated my "Advance Number Fee Receipt" and handed it over to me. You must check that all details in this sheet are correct. Mine had 2 spelling errors and he had to re-do this. This is another reason I would do this on my own instead of getting it done through some agent (the other obvious reason being the insane money they charge). This receipt can be scanned and mailed to your dealer who will then attach it to Form-20 used for registration of your vehicle.

The entire process took less than 30 min. I arrived at 1030 (the counter is supposed to remain open from 1015 to 1400 hrs). There was no queue (maybe arriving early on a weekday helped). There was a copier machine facility available onsite in case you needed it. No originals are required to be carried (in case you use an agent, he won't have these anyway). Only don't expect a fancy environment or treatment and you should get your job done peacefully.

Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-rto.jpg

The RTO has a contact number which you can easily obtain from Justdial / google. But nobody ever picks it up. However, having it done myself, I don't see any reason to give insane money to these agents to get it done (I was quoted 15000 rs for a 15000 rs number with no scope of bargaining!). At most, you might end up doing 2 visits if things go wrong.

Also, I have clicked and attached all the possible information available at the RTO to make it easier for someone doing it for the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Guide: How to get a fancy / VIP number in Mumbai (without an agent)-procedure-3.jpg  

Last edited by AK79 : 5th December 2020 at 09:02.
AK79 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed