Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2018, 12:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai's AMT to debut on the new Santro

Mod Note: Our Santro Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

According to a media report, Hyundai is likely to introduce an automated manual transmission (AMT) on its upcoming small hatchback. Reports suggest that the carmaker will offer the new AMT on other models like the Elite i20 and the upcoming QXi crossover as well.

Hyundai's AMT to debut on the new Santro-santroi.jpg

It is believed that Hyundai's new entry-level hatchback Santro, could replace the Eon. It will compete with models like the Maruti Celerio, Tata Tiago, Renault Kwid and Datsun Redigo, all of which are available with an AMT.

It has been reported that Hyundai could also offer the new AMT on the Elite i20, which is currently available with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). It is expected to allow the company to price the car more competitively against its rivals that have expensive CVT and dual-clutch automatic transmissions.

Hyundai is also working on a sub-4 meter SUV to take on the Tata Nexon and Maruti Vitara Brezza. The Carlino concept-based SUV (codenamed: QXi) is also seen as a likely candidate for the new AMT.

Source: Carwale

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2019 at 10:37. Reason: Link to review :)
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 12:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai's AMT to debut on the new Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Hyundai is likely to introduce an automated manual transmission (AMT) on its upcoming small hatchback.
This is not a rumour anymore. The same was confirmed by Mr Y.K Koo, CEO of Hyundai India in his interview with Autocar India.

Some more details on the AMT, straight from his own words -

1. Developed inhouse.
2. Hyundai expects 20 - 30% of their new small car volumes to come from this AMT variant.

3. Hyundai is happy with response for i20 CVT variant.
4. AMT is currently planned only for the small car, but upto i20 could be considered at a later stage.

Skip to 7:10 for details on the AMT -

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th August 2018 at 12:37.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 14:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It is expected to allow the company to price the car more competitively against its rivals that have expensive CVT and dual-clutch automatic transmissions.
And Hyundai's marketing machine will make sure that the average Indian buyer doesn't realize the difference between an AMT and a CVT/dual-clutch. They'll probably throw in a couple of more electronic gizmos for added measure.
TheLizardKing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 14:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

While this is good in a way that it makes auto transmission (or rather, non-manual) transmission more accessible to the mass market, I hope it doesn't hinder the adoption of CVT/DCT.

If India's top-two auto manufacturers (Maruti/Hyundai) go big on AMT, it'll hurt the cause of a proper AT system.

AMT on offer, Eon to be phased out; looks like Hyundai is go all-out for the Santro!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 15:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is there any confirmation on the Santro's engine ?

There are 2 rumour mills:
1. 3-cylinder 1L engine from Eon
2. 4-cylinder 1.1L engine (reworked) from i10

I hope the 4-cylinder engine is offered.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 18:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

There are 2 rumour mills:
1. 3-cylinder 1L engine from Eon
2. 4-cylinder 1.1L engine (reworked) from i10

I hope the 4-cylinder engine is offered.

Rohan
Cannot agree more. 4-cylinder petrols have a longer life and are inherently better than 3-pot engines
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 13:16   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai's AMT to debut on the new Santro

I don't think an AMT will suit a Hyundai (or VW) because of the brand's focus on quality, but I guess they are following the market. Indians are fast moving to ATs, and there's no denying the advantages of an AMT (simple, cheap, efficient).

That said, I hope the AMT is restricted to Hyundai's cheap cars only. The Grand i10 and up are available with torque converters and that should stay. Although I'm sure Hyundai will be tempted to simply bolt an AMT onto the diesel i10 & i20, they should consider Honda's success with the Amaze Diesel CVT first. There is definitely a market out there for smooth ATs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
One part of my brain says that to match the market, it will have a triple-cylinder 0.8L motor. But then, the original Santro never had one. In fact, the Santro's motor is terrific even by current standards - what amazing driveability it had.

My prediction is that it'll have two engines (similar strategy to the Alto & Eon). Could they also plonk their triple-cylinder diesel? IMHO, they should. There are hardly any diesels in the entry segment.

Last edited by GTO : 9th August 2018 at 13:17.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 13:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One part of my brain says that to match the market, it will have a triple-cylinder 0.8L motor. But then, the original Santro never had one.
As far as I remember, Santro was launched with an 800cc motor which was later upgraded to 1.1L with either Xing or Zipdrive. I might be wrong but I remember a batch mate of mine with the first Santro and it was the old engine. Maybe it was a 1L engine changed to 1.1L later on.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 9th August 2018 at 13:40.
Old 9th August 2018, 13:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Santro was launched with an 800cc motor which was later upgraded to 1.1L with either Xing or Zipdrive.
Nope, it was 1L engine. Hyundai used to advertise their higher engine capacity while comparing it to Matiz or other maruti cars.
Quote:
Maybe it was a 1L engine changed to 1.1L later on.
Yes, this is how it was.
Old 10th August 2018, 07:07   #10
BHPian

Personally, I feel the Hyundai AMT makes sense only for small segment cars upto INR 5 lacs.
So, AMT on the Santro makes sense, but not on i20.

People spending more, would definitely know about CVT smoothness and that Honda is only using CVTs. Even the Baleno uses CVT. Putting it on i20 would come across as a cheap tactic.

For the layman, Honda is affordable premium. I think the difference putting AMT on i20 will hurt it more, as by then the updated and more spacious-looking Brio would be launched too (most definitely, with a CVT).
Old 10th August 2018, 07:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think its time to sell Maruti shares. A santro will hit them hard, especially products like Wagon R. A santro will easily do more than 10k. Out of which Atleast 50 percent will come from maruti stable due to the sheer dominance of Maruti in markets where they have channels.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think its time to sell Maruti shares. A santro will hit them hard, especially products like Wagon R. A santro will easily do more than 10k. Out of which Atleast 50 percent will come from maruti stable due to the sheer dominance of Maruti in markets where they have channels.
If the new Santro appeals the users as much as the old one, it will surely sell well. Eon could not.

But IMO, it won't be able to hit the sales of a perfect car like Wagon R.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IMHO, they should. There are hardly any diesels in the entry segment.
If Tiago diesel is any indication. It doesn't make any sense to put R&D effort at this point in diesels in the lower segments. Moreover they have to make it BS6 ready, which is going to bump up the price further.
Old 10th August 2018, 10:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Didn't the Santro Xing have an automatic version - that too with a 4 speed Torque Convertor - from way back in 2008? OLX is full of ads for such vehicles. https://www.olx.in/all-results/q-santro-automatic/

Last edited by hserus : 10th August 2018 at 10:05.
Old 10th August 2018, 13:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
If the new Santro appeals the users as much as the old one, it will surely sell well. Eon could not.

But IMO, it won't be able to hit the sales of a perfect car like Wagon R.
I think it will. In a lot of semi urban areas, maruti and hyundai are the only two players (with tata). The most popular car there is an Wagon R or Alto. These two models will take the maximum hit with the Celerio due to the santro AMT.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks