Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 16:48   #1
BHPian

S-Cross petrol launch around the corner?

I was generally googling for information on scross petrol launch today and the first link was an ad that took me to the nexa page. In the link information on Google page it read s cross petrol starting at 8.1 lakh but the nexa page had no information on the same.
Sometimes link description gets updated before actual changes in the webpage. Could it be that scross petrol is closer to launch?
akshat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 16:55   #2
BHPian

re: S-Cross petrol launch around the corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat View Post
I was generally googling for information on scross petrol launch today and the first link was an ad that took me to the nexa page. In the link information on Google page it read s cross petrol starting at 8.1 lakh but the nexa page had no information on the same.
Sometimes link description gets updated before actual changes in the webpage. Could it be that scross petrol is closer to launch?
You should’ve taken a screenshot of the same and posted, my friend.

Anyway if it’s true, I hope it’s lauched with the Boosterjet from Baleno RS. S-Cross, though dynamically polished is highly underpowered!!
The Brutailer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 17:06   #3
BHPian

Here is the screenshot :-
Attached Thumbnails
S-Cross petrol launch around the corner?-62c42fe71ac0431e82d381c8cfb808c3.jpeg  

cediaowner is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 17:46   #4
BHPian

Thanks @cediaowner that's the same ad I came across. The diesel starts at 8.61 and here it says 8.1lakh so I believe it's not just a clickbait. And I don't think it will be launched with boosterjet engine at that price. The new petrol that will be in New ciaz is more likely to find its way in this one
akshat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 19:25   #5
BHPian

Even if this is true, I don't think the launch is anywhere close, considering the fact that Maruti is gearing up for the launch of the Ciaz facelift. We might see this after the Ciaz.

If they launch it after the Ciaz facelift, it will definitely come with the 1.4 litre engine of the Ciaz, which already has the worst power rating in the segment. If they end up doing so, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a DOA.

If it is to be launched with the new 1.5 litre engine as seen in the new Ertiga, we have to wait for the launch of the latter, as the source below hints at the engine's production only after the launch of the Ertiga.

I really hope that Maruti is patient enough to launch it after the new Ertiga, as the 1.5 litre engine will really help move the S-cross off the showroom floors.

Source:
https://www.carwale.com/news/will-th...petrol-engine/

Cheers,
Karthi.stark
karthi.stark is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 19:31   #6
BHPian

S cross petrol launch round the corner ?

Once the 1.5 petrol debuts with the facelifted Ciaz, that engine should find its place in Ertiga as well as S-Cross.
The Boosterjet 1.0 makes a lot of sense in the S-Cross given that it's their flagship offering but then maybe Maruti has other plans! Ideally the 1.0 should have made its way with the S-Cross facelift, given that the same variant is on sale in other markets.

Here's one UK review of S-Cross 1.0:
https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/carwitter.com/2017/06/20/2017-suzuki-sx4-s-cross-1-0-litre-boosterjet-review/amp/

Last edited by Waspune : 12th August 2018 at 19:36.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 20:40   #7
BHPian

Read rushlane's article on the same. They are also saying that it could be the 1.5 liter from Ciaz. Backing their claim is a 2016 article from Autocar India - https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...e-works-402240
mayanksabharwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 20:40   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat View Post
Could it be that scross petrol is closer to launch?
This thread has been featured on Rush Lane

Quote:
Thanks to automotive enthusiast and Team-BHP member Akshat, an interesting new detail has surfaced. If you search online for ‘Maruti S Cross petrol‘ – The first result that comes up in the google search is an ad by Maruti Nexa. When you click on this ad, it takes you to the official Maruti Nexa ad, which confirms that the ad is by Maruti Nexa and not someone else.
SOURCE
a4anurag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 00:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Once the 1.5 petrol debuts with the facelifted Ciaz, that engine should find its place in Ertiga as well as S-Cross.
The Boosterjet 1.0 makes a lot of sense in the S-Cross given that it's their flagship offering but then maybe Maruti has other plans! Ideally the 1.0 should have made its way with the S-Cross facelift, given that the same variant is on sale in other markets.

Here's one UK review of S-Cross 1.0:
https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/carwi...et-review/amp/
The boosterjet sees very poor sales in the Baleno. These engines come with higher maintenance like diesels owing to the presence of a Turbo. They also have a lag that makes city driving difficult. Add to that higher costs of the engine, lack of economies of scale resulting in higher overall costs of ownership and maintenance. The Baleno 1.0 boosterjet is apparently the last boosterjet in India. It simply does not sell in India and is not suited for our rush hour traffic

The 1.5 petrol in the S-cross will be awesome for a well built car.
Old 13th August 2018, 00:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The boosterjet sees very poor sales in the Baleno. These engines come with higher maintenance like diesels owing to the presence of a Turbo.
On the contrary I feel that the 1.0 would make the S-Cross more fun to drive and will cater to a larger audience. Moreover, the clientele for the Baleno and S-Cross is quite different.

Quote:
They also have a lag that makes city driving difficult. Add to that higher costs of the engine, lack of economies of scale resulting in higher overall costs of ownership and maintenance.
The Boosterjet in the Baleno is devoid of any noticeable lag. Yes the S-Cross weighs much more than the Baleno but still Maruti can do good tuning as they are known to.

One cannot expect economy of scales by employing an engine in just one product that too after pricing it above the shelf!

Quote:
The Baleno 1.0 boosterjet is apparently the last boosterjet in India. It simply does not sell in India and is not suited for our rush hour traffic
That is precisely because of Maruti's think tank. A dynamic and a well built product like S-Cross deserved a good petrol engine. It was a bad job on Maruti's part by giving their turbo petrol to their run of the mill car and not S-Cross. I guess a turbo petrol in S-Cross could have been a game changer, specially after removing the 1.6 MJD from the lineup.

Quote:
The 1.5 petrol in the S-cross will be awesome for a well built car.
The little Boosterjet will still be more fun and more fuel efficient than the 1.5.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th August 2018 at 11:20. Reason: Formatting
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 01:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary I feel that the 1.0 would make the S-Cross more fun to drive and will cater to a larger audience. Moreover, the clientele for the Baleno and S-Cross is quite different.
If this were true, the 1.6 should have been the best-selling engine on the S-cross. Imagination and reality are different

Quote:
Yes the S-Cross weighs much more than the Baleno but still Maruti can do good tuning as they are known to.
A smaller engine on a bigger vehicle cannot be tuned to make it perform like in the smaller vehicle. The 1.3 DDiS is superb on the Swift and Dzire but under-powered for the S-cross even with a VGT and different tune

Quote:
One cannot expect economy of scales by employing an engine in just one product that too after pricing it above the shelf!
Unless there are buyers, putting the same engine in multiple vehicles will increase inventory and won't lead to economies of scale

Quote:
The little Boosterjet will still be more fun and more fuel efficient than the 1.5.
Not true. The 1.5 L petrol is better to drive. Even the Baleno thread has mentions of the 1.2 L petrol being better to drive than the 1.0 Boosterjet. So it has no chance of being better than the 1.5 Petrol on cost, driveability, maintenance, lag and the inherent advantages of a NA petrol
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 01:26   #12
BHPian

Indian Fuel quality has to catch up for the Boosterjet engines. Major Cities are ok, but risky while traveling to towns and villages. So, the safe bet for a cross over is NA 1.5 Engine. Maruti has couple of launches before festival season kicks in. So, my guess would be first Ciaz, then Ertiga followed by S Cross, with spacing of a fortnight.

Brezza is ideal for 1.0 litre Petrol, to claim Sub 4 metre Tax benefits.
jaaz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 10:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
If this were true, the 1.6 should have been the best-selling engine on the S-cross. Imagination and reality are different
1.6 could have been a hit, had Maruti not become greedy with the S-Cross pricing. The final nail on the coffin was by making that engine available only in the alpha trim! This clearly showed that Maruti wasn't interested in selling the 1.6 and finally it pulled the plug.

Quote:

Unless there are buyers, putting the same engine in multiple vehicles will increase inventory and won't lead to economies of scale
You have made this look like a chicken-egg story so there is no point arguing in it anymore! The onus is on the manufacturer to introduce a new engine in multiple cars to even think of economy of scales. The Boosterjet 1.0 should have made way to Ciaz and S-Cross as well.

Quote:

Not true. The 1.5 L petrol is better to drive. Even the Baleno thread has mentions of the 1.2 L petrol being better to drive than the 1.0 Boosterjet. So it has no chance of being better than the 1.5 Petrol on cost, driveability, maintenance, lag and the inherent advantages of a NA petrol
What's your definition of 'better to drive'?After driving turbo diesels around I am sure people have gotten used to driving turbo-d cars that do come with some lag. But once the turbo spools the mid range is really strong in turbo cars. Case in point : Look at the Ecosport 1.5 vs 1.0. The 1.0 will anyday be more fun to drive. Also the 1.0 is bound to have better FE as well!

There are inherent advantages of a Turbo petrol as well ��

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th August 2018 at 11:33. Reason: Formatting
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 10:47   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: S-Cross petrol launch around the corner?

Whatever the case, I just hope that Maruti's 1.5L petrol is as sweet as their 1.2L K-Series. That little petrol was a jewel when launched, and still isn't outdated today. I loved revving it in the new Swift. Maruti's big petrols (SX4, Ciaz) have never been impressive and I hope that trend is broken with this new 1.5L.

Meanwhile, thanks to Piyush Shori for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I am an avid reader of Team-BHP and came across the thread about the launch of the S-Cross Petrol started by Mr. Akshat.

Upon searching on Google, I found the same information as in the thread, plus a little more. It sheds some light about the launch of the S-Cross Delta variant with a 1.6L (maybe DDiS) engine, which could be a steal for the torque-heads.

The screenshot is attached herewith.
S-Cross petrol launch around the corner?-untitled.png
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 11:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: S-Cross petrol launch around the corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Meanwhile, thanks to Piyush Shori for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Attachment 1789625
Woah- wait a minute, what is this? Does this mean that the 1.6 DDIS could make a comeback? Or am I being overly optimistic and this just a misprint/ typographical error which has made an appearance?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks