Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2007, 21:22   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Motor reduces production of Accent

Hyundai Motor India, the country`s second-largest carmaker, has reduced the production of its mid-sized sedan `Accent` in the wake of overwhelming response to its newly-launched notchback, `Verna`, fueling speculation that days of the once-popular model are numbered, reports Economic Times.

The production of `Verna` has been increased. But, a company official denied the company was planning to phase out `Accent`, one of its successful models in India.

Since its launch in September 2006, `Verna` has clocked sales of 7,331 units in the three-month period till November. In comparison, sales of `Accent` have gone on a tailspin to just 1,944 units.

`Accent` sales have been hit by the arrival of `Verna` in a big way. Speculation is rife that the Korean carmaker may finally pull the curtains down on the model.

In September, the company sold 2,043 units of `Verna` as against only 542 units of `Accent. Next month, the new model clocked 2,856 units as against Accent`s 864 units, while in November, `Verna` sales stood at 2,432 units as against 538 units of `Accent`.
Old 1st January 2007, 22:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This seems like a repeat headline - altho it isnt. Hyundai has kept people in the lurch abt the current/immediate future status of the Accent- too cloudy for consumer comfort
Old 1st January 2007, 22:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is trying to lure Esteem and Indigo buyers with the Accent, but dosent looks like its not working. Might need a bigger price cut and maybe some decontenting.
Old 2nd January 2007, 00:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

The Accent in the CRDi trim is priced really close to the Verna...

The only way to recover is that Accent CRDi should be made cheaper (even if it means dropping a few goodies)... To compete with the likes of indigo and esteem...
Old 2nd January 2007, 01:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

i cant think of any accent "goodies" that can be dropped??
Rear defogger,maybe??
And coming to think of it, it shouldn't be worth more than esteem except for its 1.5 engine.
It could be a hit if the 1.5 GVS is priced with the esteem.
Old 11th September 2008, 12:27   #6
k10
BHPian

Buy Accent Now?

Hi,
I really like the Accent. But rumors are strife that Hyundai will soon stop manufacturing the Accent, maybe in about 2 years time or so. And current only the GLS model is available in the market.

I am wondering, how smart would it be to buy the Accent at this stage? What about support for existing customers? Spares?
Old 11th September 2008, 12:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k10 View Post
Hi,
And current only the GLS model is available in the market.

I thought it was the GLE version that was available.
It still a beautiful car though, especially the white one.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 11th September 2008 at 12:44.
Old 11th September 2008, 12:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just ICE'd a friend's Accent petrol ,a week back.
They've removed even the clock in the dash. Very pathetic, IMO.
Old 11th September 2008, 13:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I really like the Accent. But rumors are strife that Hyundai will soon stop manufacturing the Accent, maybe in about 2 years time or so. And current only the GLS model is available in the market.

I am wondering, how smart would it be to buy the Accent at this stage? What about support for existing customers? Spares?
I think you meant the GLE Petrol model which is the only model available in Accent. At 5.75 OTR ( Approx) i dont see it a bad buy unless you not bothered about resale/ gonna retain it atleast for 5 years. Other options are Ikon - expected facelift in Nov. Dzire- bad looks, long waiting period but still VFM. Logan- forget it. Accent badly needs a next gen replacement IMO.
Old 11th September 2008, 13:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I think you meant the GLE Petrol model which is the only model available in Accent. At 5.75 OTR ( Approx) i dont see it a bad buy unless you not bothered about resale/ gonna retain it atleast for 5 years. Other options are Ikon - expected facelift in Nov. Dzire- bad looks, long waiting period but still VFM. Logan- forget it. Accent badly needs a next gen replacement IMO.
I think GLE they have renamed as executive and selling.This was launched 2 weeks back. Check existing post
Old 11th September 2008, 14:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Verna is sold as Accent in other countries, we also expected the same. I believe Hyundai played a game by continuing Accent and Verna paralelly, because they themselves might not be sure if Verna would be successful in this price tag.

But as now Verna has captured a good market share in it segment, so Hyundai might have planned to stop the production as they did with Tereccan.
Old 11th September 2008, 17:00   #12
k10
BHPian

My bad everyone...its the GLE and not the GLS.
Still, i do wonder, whether it would be worth spending 5.2 L on a car that has decent report card. But whose future is uncertain.
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Motor reduces production of Accent

Accent seems to be having its final run. With 182 units sold in July-12( and consistent downslide in sales), Accent could bid adieu (to India) in 2012!

Quote:
The Accent will gradually turn invisible, but it will always be remembered for its simplicity, reliability and value for money

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd August 2012 at 14:41.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:03   #14
BANNED

Thank God for that.

We have the uncanny trait (probably learnt from the HM Amby) of trying to keep dinosaurs going forever. Give them a decent adieu and move on.
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^^ There are more woolly mammoths in the form of M800, Omni, Gypsy, Alto, TDI engines from Tata & Mahindra, which i fear won't survive the next pollution norms upgrade.

This definitely would be more of a breather for the sales team, as they needn't put any efforts for the panting horse.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks