Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2018, 13:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb Corporate Edition priced at Rs. 23.49 lakh

Looks to me like Skoda is trying to push some unsold inventory of white color style variant. M/T gearbox makes it more obvious as customer in this category ask nothing but A/T. I haven't see too many white Superb's, most of them have been Grey.
Old 27th August 2018, 15:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Looks to me like Skoda is trying to push some unsold inventory of white color style variant. M/T gearbox makes it more obvious as customer in this category ask nothing but A/T. I haven't see too many white Superb's, most of them have been Grey.
The Business Grey shade is restricted to the top end L&K trim. White is actually what I see most of the Style variants in. Heck, I know two Superb owners and they both have white.

The M/T has always been there in the base trim, but as you rightly said - a lot of customers prefer the AT for when they drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm not a fan of these stripped-down corporate editions (I prefer to buy them fully-loaded), but they make solid business sense.
True, the E90 320D CE being one of the best examples. The Highline / Sportline trim felt far more luxurious with the iDrive and nicer interiors - almost a class higher. But for the enthusiast / brand conscious buyer on a budget - these hit home!

In the case of the Superb specifically - the car is superbly equipped even in base Style trim. Even if they remove a few features (sunroof, basic audio, art leather, etc.) - this corporate edition could still be fantastic value for money overall. Heck, at this price, even I am tempted to pick one up and throw that INR 2L into mods / accessories of my liking
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 23:58   #18
BHPian

I think I already know the answer to this, but still, what’s the likelihood of Skoda releasing the Superb Corporate edition with diesel-MT combo? I think as a fleet car, it would make more sense to invest in a diesel car, don’t you think? Take away the sunroof and a few other features, and this appears to make sense as a fleet car that can swallow way more luggage than any premium sedan in the market.

Is it also possible that the corporate edition will be offered only for commercial registration, and not for private use? Maybe that’s why they are pricing it low? Yes yes, I get that SMSes were sent out en masse, but that needn’t say much about the target audience of Skoda here, right?

On a different (and a slightly selfish) note, I do kind of wish Skoda didn’t launch a cheaper, fleet-friendly edition. The best part about owning the current gen Superb is exclusivity, and not in the bad sense of the word. I mean, in Cochin, I see a Superb now and then, but that’s it, unlike in the case of Octavia or even the Kodiaq, for that matter, these days. My Superb is white, and it still manages to turn heads for a second, longer look, and that too in Cochin, which has its fair share of Audis and Bimmers these days to clog the roads further. I suspect seeing more Superbs on the road is only going to erode a bit of that exclusivity. Oh well, if it means better and cheaper access to spare parts, I suppose it’s a trade off I can live with.
Old 1st September 2018, 00:30   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The 1.8-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine produces 177 BHP and 320 Nm of torque and comes paired with either a 6-speed manual or a 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox
Just to remind everyone that this is not just a Manual transmission superb with same specs as the AT DSG.

If you buy the 1.8 TSI DSG AT, you get 177BHP but only 250Nm torque (gearbox limitation).

However if you get the MT, the torque goes up by 70Nm to 320Nm while horse power remains same.

This will be a seriously fun to drive car!
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 12:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just to remind everyone that this is not just a Manual transmission superb with same specs as the AT DSG.

If you buy the 1.8 TSI DSG AT, you get 177BHP but only 250Nm torque (gearbox limitation).

However if you get the MT, the torque goes up by 70Nm to 320Nm while horse power remains same.

This will be a seriously fun to drive car!
It’s too big to be a fun to drive car, and I know this because I deal with the body roll, especially at the rear, thanks to its long proportions. The Superb doesn’t like cornering and twisting roads, and it’s best sorted for expressway cruising. Try taking the car out for a fun drive on a ghat road, and it would immediately feel front heavy. It didn’t feel as sorted as the Passat, to be honest, which may be benefitting from DCC. That said, load up the humongous boot to the brim, and throw in a few well-built passengers, and the car shows its true worth in crunching long miles comfortably.
gk1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 12:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk1234 View Post
It’s too big to be a fun to drive car, and I know this because I deal with the body roll, especially at the rear, thanks to its long proportions. The Superb doesn’t like cornering and twisting roads, and it’s best sorted for expressway cruising. Try taking the car out for a fun drive on a ghat road, and it would immediately feel front heavy. It didn’t feel as sorted as the Passat, to be honest, which may be benefitting from DCC. That said, load up the humongous boot to the brim, and throw in a few well-built passengers, and the car shows its true worth in crunching long miles comfortably.
I agree. Save for the dynamically negative proportions, the car is just perfect for the purpose it was built and the sales prove that. Skoda should not and hopefully would not tamper with the current setup, except to give sporty exteriors (Sportline).

It is hands down the best car in the segment
Stratosphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 18:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk1234 View Post
The body roll and vertical movement (I faced more of the latter as speeds go up), is to do with the soft suspension setup and raised ride height. Probably, sporty tyres like PS4 will improve this to an extent. Maybe after warranty period, one upgrades the shock absorbers to address this ?

The MT is great to drive though, and I haven't had problems even while crawling in horrendous Bangalore traffic and I found it quite easy to make right turns and U-turns in the car and take sweeping curves on the highway like on NH4 and NH7 near Bangalore.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 6th September 2018 at 18:31.
Old 20th August 2019, 19:18   #23
BHPian

Skoda Superb Corporate Edition Automatic Launched Today @ 25.99L!! Got the SMS today from AD-iSKODA

Edit: Skoda has removed the free insurance + 6 year warranty discount which it was offering on the Style till now. Sucks! The 50,000 loyalty discount remains.

Last edited by reppy : 20th August 2019 at 19:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks