Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2018, 15:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs

Mod Note: Our Camry Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The seventh generation of Toyota Camry entry D-segment sedan has been in existence since the last six years in India.

There are two visually different versions of Toyota’s immensely popular sedan – one for the US and one for the European markets. The one in India (Current Gen) is derived from the European model and looks a bit understated compared to its sportier looking American counterpart.

Interestingly, a fully camouflaged prototype of the pre-facelift US-spec Camry has been spotted testing in India.

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-2019toyotacamryspiedindiabangaloretestinglaunch2768x431.jpg

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-2019toyotacamryspiedindiabangaloretestinglaunch1768x432.jpg

New Gen Camry is expected to launch next year.

Will come with a Hybrid Powertrain.

Expect it to be priced higher than Current Generation.

Source

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2019 at 17:17. Reason: Link to review :)
CarguyNish is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 18:48   #2
BHPian

The North American spec Camry is indeed a very beautiful car. The XSE trim in particular that's sold in the North American market is such a looker. I was completely bowled over by its looks when I first saw it in the flesh here in Canada. I say this as a BMW owner/fanboy, I have considering a new Camry to replace my aging E90. Hopefully TKM bring the US spec model, I agree with the notion of the European Camry counterpart being "meh" in comparison.
CrippledLucifer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:01   #3

re: Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs

Missed it by that much. I guess I should have posted this yesterday as soon as I snapped it *punches self in face for procrastinating*. Well, fellow bhp-ians, here's our very own, non-grainy pictures of the same car in Bangalore's bumper-to-bumper traffic:

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-2019camry01.jpg

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-2019camry02.jpg

Observations:
1. I would hazard a guess it might be a hybrid, given how quiet it was when it drove past, also given the single exhaust.
2. It seemed to be dark-grey colored, as observed at the lower-part of the rear bumper
3. Seemed to be really, uh, 'swoopy' and low-slung. The red Yaris-es flanking it hardly seemed taller.
4. The kink/crease on the C-pillar is really distinctive and really adds character.
5. The top part of the front grille looked elegant and understated. The bottom couldn't be seen properly, but it seems to resemble the US-spec car in the media images.

P.S:
1. Sorry about the gaudy watermarks. This is just to ensure that our pics don't get pasted on other websites.
2. Could have snapped better pics if my Mi has not chosen precisely that moment to hang and become unresponsive.
3. I've removed the licence plate number, but I guess it's the same car as from the other site.
4. Just in case anyone's interested in the font on the watermarks, it's called 'Fira Code' and has beautiful ligatures.
GTB/4 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 09:50   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs

Really looking forward to the 8th-gen Camry as it's a big step forward of its predecessor. The gap between itself and the Lexus ES continues to narrow down. The new car is more luxurious and apparently, better to drive than the current (boring) Camry. It should be the ultimate chauffeur-driven ride of the segment.

Don't like its front end though - that's the case with most Toyotas. And I sure hope they don't do a 'Yaris' with the pricing.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 10:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really looking forward to the 8th-gen Camry as it's a big step forward of its predecessor. The gap between itself and the Lexus ES continues to narrow down. The new car is more luxurious and apparently, better to drive than the current (boring) Camry. It should be the ultimate chauffeur-driven ride of the segment.
It is supposed to be so good that it will be relaunched in Europe after a hiatus of nearly 15 years!
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 06:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Don't like its front end though - that's the case with most Toyotas. And I sure hope they don't do a 'Yaris' with the pricing.
You're right. Most reviews suggest that its just as good as the Honda Accord when it comes to driving pleasure. This sure is a BIG step up for the Camry. As usual its a huge cabin and should be as luxurious as a car can be. I believe the gap between the luxury brands and these everyday cars is narrowing to a point where the real difference between them is just the snob value. The Accord and Camry seem to be getting almost as good as their Acura and Lexus cousins.

Hopefully they will price it at around the Skoda Superb's price. I for one would love to see how many people actually jump from the Skoda/VW boat onto the Honda/Toyota boat. If it was my money and if the Japanese cars were priced well, I would pick the peace of mind provided by these cars everyday.
HKap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 09:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-photo-sep-10-4-42-58-pm.jpg

This is my wife's 2018 Camry LE. Same vehicle that is being spotted in and around Bangalore.

Styling on this model is a big departure from the boring designs of the past. One can either love it or hate it. I like the new front end design though. It is even better on the XSE.

There is one design element that I hate each time I look at it - the A Pillar. it is Slender to start with and grows wider at the top. It's a bit Awkward actually.

Hopefully the new Radios that would be launched in India would be better that the rubbish it is currently and provides Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 25th September 2018 at 09:26.
14000rpm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 12:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Styling on this model is a big departure from the boring designs of the past.
Spot on.

Identical model sold in NZ and looks amazing, especially the ZR version with red interiors. A bit too bright for my liking but there is certainly appeal to it. Takes out the whole mundane feeling of living with a Camry.

https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/cam...V6-NM1-3T7-20#

The new Corolla hatch looks more hot hatch than anything else. Very sharp design.

https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/corolla/
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 12:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to finally see Toyota bring the all new Camry here.

I say finally because this generation was introduced mid last year.

Also the timing is such as if Toyota were instructed NOT to launch this model till Lexus get the all new ES in India

Going by the spy pics, I believe this will be the exact spec. For India;

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1537858468.624997.jpg
karan561 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 13:54   #10
BHPian

Was able to spot this camouflaged Camry on the Outer Ring Road near Hebbal flyover, Bangalore. Thanks to my colleague for clicking the pics as I was driving with an eye to enable him get as many clean pics of the vehicle as possible.

The Camry had a Yaris for company who was mightily upset when I managed to side track him and get a clear view of the Camry.

Cheers
Uday
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-camry-1.jpg  

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-camry-2.jpg  

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-camry-3.jpg  

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-camry-4.jpg  

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-camry-5.jpg  

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-camry-7.jpg  

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-camry-8.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 1st October 2018 at 13:58.
uday.ere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 14:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

This is what I clicked in August in Canada. Has clean creases and definitely looked sporty
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20181001-2.18.10-pm.jpeg  

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20181001-2.17.14-pm.jpeg  

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20181001-2.18.24-pm.jpeg  

Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 17:14   #12
BHPian

Finally, can't wait to see these on our roads, although they're not that common because of the price. That rear end is very reminiscent of the Maserati Quattroporte.
Old 4th October 2018, 20:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Curious to see if they will include Toyota Safety Sense as standard in India.
Safety sense is a package of sensors and softwares to enable Lane Departure Warning (LDW) & Steering Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM), Rear Cross Traffic alert (RCTA), Emergency brake assist etc. It is standard on most Toyota's in US in various packages.

While I usually encourage this, I also hope they don't bring this to India just yet. Let me explain - Wife had a 2 mph parking lot incident where she bumped into a neighboring car while backing up. This 2 mph incident apparently has put the sensors for BSM and RCTA out of whack and are ever since misbehaving. This is not covered in Warranty and will cost me $ 300 to get them re-calibrated. This could be a common occurrence in India and could set back INR 25,000 to fix in labor cost. If Insurance has to pick this cost, the premium would go up. Net-net it would make ownership of a Camry an expensive affair.

I'm personally antagonized with Toyota for this lack of tolerance in their Sensors and blame Toyota for this.
Old 5th October 2018, 17:19   #14
BHPian

Most manufacturers (except Volvo) are quick to get rid of all ADAS systems for India. Toyota could follow suit and de-spec or deactivate hardware if its too hard to re-engineer.
Old 5th October 2018, 20:36   #15
Team-BHP Support

Spotted this one on the outer ring road, Bangalore. Impressed with how it has hidden some of the old bulk!

Next-gen Toyota Camry spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 36.95 lakhs-20181005_181734_hdr2.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks