Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2007, 15:55   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whats the fastest way to drive a Laura DSG?

I am taking the family to Panchgani for the weekend. Steeds will be the C220 and a Skoda Laura on the superb expressway route via Pune.

Question : How is the Laura driven fast with relevance to the DSG? Both the cars are going to be gunned hard all the way....I just wanna make sure that when I take the wheel of the Laura, the C220 does not drive away into the distance.

Tiptronic or let her stay in D?

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2007 at 15:57.
Old 5th January 2007, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Dont even try racing the two on that road, its a crowded highway and not a expressway, my advise is dont go beyond 180 -190 kmph and please please dont attempt it on the Pune - Satara road stay close to 150-160 mark.
Old 5th January 2007, 19:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tiptronic or let her stay in D?
Given the feedback & what I've read about the DSG 'box, I would say go tiptronic since its party piece are the lightning quick shifts so might as well use it rather then letting the computer decide. Rest I think after driving the car for a short while in both modes you can yourself figure out which is better!

P.S. An even better way would be to tow it behind the Merc!!! Then the Merc is certainly not going anywhere in the distance
Old 5th January 2007, 19:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

I driven the TT V6 DSG and the shifts were simply too quick. You will enjoy shifting with the paddles, but as you might already know its not worth revving it too much after 3.5 - 4 grand.
Old 5th January 2007, 19:51   #5
BANNED

I would suggest you to stick with the Tiptronic. My experience with Laura was very limited but I loved the way it shifted gears. D is too boring when you have a very fast shifting tiptronic waiting to be tapped!

If you don't like the shifts or you fall behind, just make sure you sink your right foot rather than going the D way!!

BTW, D is the beginning of DOOM!!
Old 5th January 2007, 21:08   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If you really wanna be brutal then you gotta put in triptronic and make the engine scream thru the red line.
But if you wanna gunn it without entering the red zone and ensuring precise gear changes then you gotta keep it in D and keep a heavy foot. This way you will pull it just shy of the redline in every gear.
Old 5th January 2007, 21:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

Keep in into the Triptonic Mode, and change the gears while the RPM is somewhere around 3.5 to 4.
Dont keep 1st gear for long and second afterwards try changing above mentioned RPM,According to Me it will help you to keep up with C220.

Mugen.
Old 5th January 2007, 21:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
GTO,

Keep in into the Triptonic Mode, and change the gears while the RPM is somewhere around 3.5 to 4.
Dont keep 1st gear for long and second afterwards try changing above mentioned RPM,According to Me it will help you to keep up with C220.

Mugen.
You have a Laura dont you ??
Old 5th January 2007, 21:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
You have a Laura dont you ??
We have both the cars.
Old 5th January 2007, 22:21   #10
BHPian

Hi GTO,

I think you should drive the laura (dsg) in the S (sport) mode.
Old 5th January 2007, 23:13   #11
BHPian

Tip tronic is the way to go.The shifts are surprisingly fast.I also vaguely remember slotting into the Sport mode during my test drive,wherein up and down changes were quicker than usual due to different gear ratios.But I'm not sure if the Sport mode can be activated when you've chosen tip tronic.Maybe Mugen_power can enlighten us.
Old 6th January 2007, 09:50   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Dont even try racing the two on that road, its a crowded highway and not a expressway, my advise is dont go beyond 180 -190 kmph and please please dont attempt it on the Pune - Satara road stay close to 150-160 mark.
Hey,

Are you guys looney or what. Those are insane speeds you are talking about here on either of the roads. I dont think Tbhp does and should be promoting high speed driving and specially speeds which are way beyond the legal speed limits.

Viper
Old 6th January 2007, 09:52   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hey,

Are you guys looney or what. Those are insane speeds you are talking about here on either of the roads. I dont think Tbhp does and should be promoting high speed driving and specially speeds which are way beyond the legal speed limits.

Viper
WELL SAID VIPER OLD CHUM!!
Old 6th January 2007, 10:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
If you really wanna be brutal then you gotta put in triptronic and make the engine scream thru the red line.
But if you wanna gunn it without entering the red zone and ensuring precise gear changes then you gotta keep it in D and keep a heavy foot. This way you will pull it just shy of the redline in every gear.
What a contrast between these two advices, one obviously knows about the car he is talking about and the other is just guessing wildly...
Old 6th January 2007, 12:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me this isn't what you think it is.Its just that the concerned person is absolutely hellbent on precision,street races would be the last thing on his mind.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 6th January 2007 at 12:07.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed