Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2018, 15:34   #1
BHPian

Lost original sale invoice - Now what?

Hi All,

Writing this here because I feel that many of us may go through the same situation at some point. Mods, please merge this to any relevant thread if needed. This explains how to proceed if you need a sale invoice of a vehicle, but has lost the same.

I had recently purchased a used 2014 TATA Nano Twist. It belonged to a differently abled person, and he was exempted from paying road tax at the time of purchase. Now that I had purchased the car from him, to transfer the ownership I had to pay road tax on the car for the remaining years. Upon filing the request to my RTO for ownership transfer, I was asked to present the sale invoice of the car so that the RTO can calculate the tax amount to be paid based on that. Unfortunately the previous owner did not have the sale invoice with him. It was understandable as most of us usually does not bother about the sale invoice once we receive the RC.

We started to trace the dealer from which the car was originally purchased. Meanwhile I checked with the local TATA dealership too. Following were the results:
a. The original dealership was closed couple of years back, and there was no trace of any documents / records retained.
b. Local TATA dealerships retained data only for 3 years, so I had no hope of getting an invoice from 2014 now.

There were only two options left for me now:
1. Get a reference invoice from another Nano owner, who has a same model car purchased on same year.
2. Contact TATA motors to get a duplicate invoice.

Tried with a few friends and even sought help in Team BHP under the Nano Twist thread to get a reference invoice. But no one had retained the invoice, or even if they had it was from a different year or of a different model. Invoices from other states also would not help.
So the last resort was to reach out to TATA motors directly. After few back and forth emails, I finally received the contact details of the regional office of TATA motors for Kerala. Called up the office, and explained the whole situation. Initially, they were reluctant even to say that they can provide any help. All they did was to provide me an email ID and asked me to send a detailed email with all my details, an ID proof, copy of the vehicle RC and any other relevant details.

Drafted a lengthy email and attached all the documents and send it to the provided email ID that evening itself. To be honest, I was not very hopeful considering the non-inspiring service from dealerships and TATA motors customer care. Next day, I had totally forgotten to follow up on this. I checked my email two days post this. To my surprise there was an email with an attachment from the regional office. The email acknowledged my request and the attachment was everything that I needed.

They had prepared a price certificate for the car on TATA motors letterhead. The content stated the model, and price in 2014 in Kerala. The letter was sealed and signed by the office head in pen. They had scanned and send the same via email. I was really surprised at the effort they put in. Called and thanked them the very same moment. Handed over a printout of the same to RTO and they were more than happy to accept that.

My point is, since this worked out with TATA, anyone who is in need of a sale invoice / price certificate like this can reach out the regional offices of their own car manufacturer and work out things. It took me more than a month to figure out this, after trying out all other means. Hope this really helps others.
ps_abhijith is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Lost original sale invoice - Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
This explains how to proceed if you need a sale invoice of a vehicle
Good that the issue was resolved, although you had to circumnavigate a bit. Many car owners fail to preserve a copy of the sale invoice in the belief that they wouldn't need it once the car is registered; in a majority of the cases, it isn't too. However, if and when one needs it, it is a hassle getting hold of a copy.

A couple of years ago, approaching the RTO for cancellation of hypothecation, I was asked to get the relevant file removed from the records section and ensure that it reaches the case worker's desk. Fortunately, I had an acquaintance working in the said section and therefore I could get hold of the file quickly. I took a quick look at it before passing it on and I could see all the documents that I had submitted at the time of registration being kept there: one of which was the sale invoice.

So (I am trying to extrapolate here), it could be a safe bet to assume that a simple, properly worded RTI application to the RTO where the vehicle was initially registered would help in getting hold of a certified copy of the invoice.

Writing to the manufacturer/seller may help in procuring a proxy invoice. But the red tape may either not accept the duplicate or insist on an additional affidavit. So, whenever possible, it is better to get it from the same source where it was deposited .
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 16:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Lost original sale invoice - Now what?

I've made a habit of keeping all the car documents in individual folders. Sale Invoice will be forgotten until the car is up for sale.

Last edited by GTO : 27th September 2018 at 10:13. Reason: typo
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 10:14   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lost original sale invoice - Now what?

Thanks for sharing! Here is a related thread with some advice too - link (Don't have a bill / invoice for my ride. Now what?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Sale Invoice will be forgotten until the car is up for sale.
Not really. The original sale invoice is only needed in some special cases. In a straight-forward typical used car sale, you never need it. I know I never did.

Last edited by GTO : 27th September 2018 at 10:15.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 11:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have a 'friendly' person in the RTO, you can show them the price of the car online at that time and get them to calculate the tax. I have done that in the past. Not sure if its the right way or wrong, but it gets the job done.

Usually, the RTO agents press the mattery very highly because they need to make a quick buck out it. Meaning they ask for extra money to get the job done without the invoice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
..The original sale invoice is only needed in some special cases. In a straight-forward typical used car sale, you never need it. I know I never did.
Yes, unless you have to pay tax, ie, buying from Army, Defence personnel or interstate transfer you don't need the invoice at all. The invoice is to know the ex-showroom price of the car at the time.

Last edited by dhanushs : 27th September 2018 at 11:27.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! Here is a related thread with some advice too - link (Don't have a bill / invoice for my ride. Now what?).

Not really. The original sale invoice is only needed in some special cases. In a straight-forward typical used car sale, you never need it. I know I never did.
I was asked for the sale invoice at the time of exchange when I upgraded from Hyundai Accent to Hyundai Elantra at the time of sale. Looks like the document was needed, then in 2005, to seal the deal. I'm not sure what the procedure is now.
Old 28th September 2018, 15:27   #7
BHPian

Update : Received the new RC today after submitting the price certificate from TATA to RTO.
So this letter alone is enough for RTO.
I was actually worried that they may ask for something else now.
Old 15th May 2023, 14:29   #8

Help with retail invoice - Used BMW 320d - Interstate reregisteration

Hi BHPians,

Excuse me for my first post being a cry for help. But if not teambhp then where could I find any info/support wrt my situation.

So situation is that I have bought a used 2013 BMW 320d (base variant, variant name is 320d only) which I am re-registering from HR to KA, but need a retail invoice for tax purposes which the owner did not provide (or the provided one is just some details on a white piece of paper).

Hence if any fellow bhpian has an old invoice of the same model and can share with me, or any other ideas for me to sort this situation, then please do direct message or help on this thread.

P.S. I have already tried reaching out to various communication channels of BMW but in vain.
Old 15th May 2023, 23:14   #9
BHPian

Re: Help with retail invoice - Used BMW 320d - Interstate reregisteration

Two ways to get it, from the dealer who sold this car and second from RTO office where it was registered. A local RTO agent can help, will need some chai pani kharcha. The dealer might be willing to oblige with little persuasion.
drsnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 11:21   #10

Re: Help with retail invoice - Used BMW 320d - Interstate reregisteration

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
Two ways to get it, from the dealer who sold this car and second from RTO office where it was registered. A local RTO agent can help, will need some chai pani kharcha. The dealer might be willing to oblige with little persuasion.
The dealer is not responsive, will try the RTO route. To be honest was also hoping some bhpian would have bought/sold this model and might be able to share invoice. :/
Old 16th May 2023, 13:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
This explains how to proceed if you need a sale invoice of a vehicle, but has lost the same... It was understandable as most of us usually does not bother about the sale invoice once we receive the RC... Handed over a printout of the same to RTO and they were more than happy to accept that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Good that the issue was resolved, although you had to circumnavigate a bit. Many car owners fail to preserve a copy of the sale invoice in the belief that they wouldn't need it once the car is registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I've made a habit of keeping all the car documents in individual folders. Sale Invoice will be forgotten until the car is up for sale.
Quote:
The original sale invoice is only needed in some special cases. In a straight-forward typical used car sale, you never need it. I know I never did.
In such scenario, can scanned copy of the Original Sales Invoice be of any help ?

I have habit of scanning all such documents and save at atleast two locations: Cloud account and a physical hard drive.

Physical copies may not be available now for most of the stuff. Though for my vehicles, I think physical copies would be there in some folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
it could be a safe bet to assume that a simple, properly worded RTI application to the RTO where the vehicle was initially registered would help in getting hold of a certified copy of the invoice.

Writing to the manufacturer/seller may help in procuring a proxy invoice. But the red tape may either not accept the duplicate or insist on an additional affidavit. So, whenever possible, it is better to get it from the same source where it was deposited
That's a good idea. Only thing if we plan to go by this route, we must keep atleast 2~3 months at hand. For RTI application and then appeal.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 16th May 2023 at 13:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks