Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2007, 20:20   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
All these variants are existing FIAT designs and are currently sold in Europe. For ex the 1.4 is a bored out version used in the Opel Agila. Of course, this is just my educated guess. 1.9 is an all new engine and would be unnecessary.
1.4 mutlijet in the Opel agilla???

How i wish they brought it down here for the wagonR (since agilla and wagonR are the same cars with different badging)
Old 15th January 2007, 13:02   #32
BHPian

Mpower,
Jimny is what we have as Maruti Gypsy minus 4WD? Although Jimny has 4WD option, I think it doesn't fit in this category, XOver which Crossover with qualities of both sedan and SUV.
Old 15th January 2007, 15:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Frankly, launching the SX4 hatch with 4wd is not a good idea for Indian market. Even in Europe this is a niche segment and only farmers in rural areas who cannot afford big SUVs go for it. If launched it will meet the same fate as Fusion and SRV, probably worse because of the 4wd. The 1.9 diesel will have to be imported and this will hurt pricing.
Why do you say that? Fusion and SRV did not offer 4x4 or a diesel option whereas the SX4 will offer both. Maruti's agreement with FIAT covers not merely 1.3 JTD but the 1.9 too. If you read the Business Standard article in my first post, you'll note how much emphasis Maruti is placing on lowering costs of its higher-end products, including the Grand Vitara. If Maruti is to recoup the huge investments it is making in its Manesar diesel engine plant, it would make sense to manufacture more than just one engine. So, my guess is that Maruti will produce the JTD 1.9 too and offer it in the likes of SX4, New Baleno and Vitara, besides exporting it to Europe for fitment in its European offerings.
Old 15th January 2007, 17:22   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Why do you say that? Fusion and SRV did not offer 4x4 or a diesel option whereas the SX4 will offer both. Maruti's agreement with FIAT covers not merely 1.3 JTD but the 1.9 too. If you read the Business Standard article in my first post, you'll note how much emphasis Maruti is placing on lowering costs of its higher-end products, including the Grand Vitara. If Maruti is to recoup the huge investments it is making in its Manesar diesel engine plant, it would make sense to manufacture more than just one engine. So, my guess is that Maruti will produce the JTD 1.9 too and offer it in the likes of SX4, New Baleno and Vitara, besides exporting it to Europe for fitment in its European offerings.

Fusion would have had a much better run had it been offered with a diesel engine... Offering a 1.6L petrol only, that too on a hatch is sure recipe for disaster...

With a good diesel, the SX4 could find buyers...

Most people buy Scorpio's and safari bacause of their SUV looks and diesel engines (How many petrol come off the showroom)... If a smaller SUV can match the power, mileage, provide SUV looks with good handling and comfort (Somthing Scorpio lacks)... It willl find takers...
Old 16th January 2007, 14:46   #35

looks really great .... looking forward to the launch.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:40   #36
BHPian

Hey Guys

It seems we are all harping at the wrong thing, it seems SX4 will come to India as Baleno and the SUV in question will be Jimmy with 1.3 Petrol Engine and a 1.3 Diesel Engine same as that of swift.
Old 16th January 2007, 16:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Hey Guys

It seems we are all harping at the wrong thing, it seems SX4 will come to India as Baleno and the SUV in question will be Jimmy with 1.3 Petrol Engine and a 1.3 Diesel Engine same as that of swift.
How do you conclude that?

The BS report mentions a price band of Rs. 7-10 lacs and a product positioning between the Gypsy and Grand Vitara.

That rules out Jimny (not Jimmy) as the subject matter of the BS report - the proposed new SUV from Maruti.

Cheers!

Last edited by directinjection : 16th January 2007 at 16:51.
Old 16th January 2007, 17:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
How do you conclude that?

The BS report mentions a price band of Rs. 7-10 lacs and a product positioning between the Gypsy and Grand Vitara.

That rules out Jimny (not Jimmy) as the subject matter of the BS report - the proposed new SUV from Maruti.

Cheers!

Well either will have to do a volte face on this or Maruti is dilly dallying and doesnt know what they are launching, because this is what I read today.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][b]Maruti Udyog is planning to launch the company's entry-level sports utility vehicle (SUV), Jimny, in the country by the year-end, reports Business Standard.

In the overseas markets, Jimny is sold with 1.3 litre petrol engine that produces 85 bhp of power. The company is expected to bring the same engine to India. Incidentally, cars including the Swift and the Esteem, which are being sold in India, share the same engine.

The car comes with ABS and airbags as standard in the overseas market, but the company may introduce the car here without the features to keep costs at the minimum and to price it competitively. The company could also introduce the car with 1.3 litre multi-jet diesel engine, where the car will then fall under the small car definition as defined by the union budget as it will have an engine capacity less than 1,500 cc and length of the car will be less than four meters.

Industry experts believe that the car to be priced around Rs 600,000 to Rs 800,000, which will then place it in direct competition with Mahindra and Mahindra's base, Scorpio and Ford's Fusion.
Source : myiris.com (1/15/2007)
Old 16th January 2007, 18:30   #39
Team-BHP Support

i dont think anyone will buy a 8lac car with a 1.3l engine.. the other suvs are being sold with above 2l engines.. dont you think itll be a little underpowered.. but if they bring it in as the gypsys replacement then it will sell.
Old 16th January 2007, 20:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

The Jimny reminds me a lot of a similar car from the toyota stables,the older generation Daihatsu Terios.

If the terios is anything to go by then the car[Jimny] should not be more than 6 Lakhs,and the Jimny would not fall in the 7-10lakh category.
Old 17th January 2007, 12:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Well either will have to do a volte face on this or Maruti is dilly dallying and doesnt know what they are launching, because this is what I read today.

Maruti Udyog is planning to launch the company's entry-level sports utility vehicle (SUV), Jimny, in the country by the year-end, reports Business Standard.

In the overseas markets, Jimny is sold with 1.3 litre petrol engine that produces 85 bhp of power. The company is expected to bring the same engine to India. Incidentally, cars including the Swift and the Esteem, which are being sold in India, share the same engine.

The car comes with ABS and airbags as standard in the overseas market, but the company may introduce the car here without the features to keep costs at the minimum and to price it competitively. The company could also introduce the car with 1.3 litre multi-jet diesel engine, where the car will then fall under the small car definition as defined by the union budget as it will have an engine capacity less than 1,500 cc and length of the car will be less than four meters.

Industry experts believe that the car to be priced around Rs 600,000 to Rs 800,000, which will then place it in direct competition with Mahindra and Mahindra's base, Scorpio and Ford's Fusion.
Source : myiris.com (1/15/2007)
Rs. 600,000/- to Rs. 800,000/- for a baby jeep? That's crazy!
How can Jimny be positioned above the Gypsy, its bigger brother?

Sincerely hope this report is incorrect and they launch the SX4 at that price.

Cheers!
Old 17th January 2007, 19:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rs. 600,000/- to Rs. 800,000/- for a baby jeep? That's crazy!
How can Jimny be positioned above the Gypsy, its bigger brother?
Gypsy is Jimny's big brother? I think not.
Gypsy is nothing but the old Jimny. The new one is a replacement and has coil spring suspension. The one they are looking at is probably the full steel hardtop version.
I agree that the price is kinda high for a baby jeep
Old 17th January 2007, 20:06   #43
BHPian

The new Baleno Pic was printed in Autocar magazine.. Looks just like the verna!!! What happened to Suzuki? They definitely could have done way way better than that..
I proudly own the more robust lookin old Baleno.. Though the new one might come with a 100horsepower engine i'd rather keep mine..
Old 18th January 2007, 08:47   #44
BHPian

A 3 door toy car to compete with Safari and Scorpio. Something really wrong with these guys at Suzuki. I cant even dare to drive this stuff more than 100kph. And its a 3 door! I bet one lakh rupees, this is a utter failure. Look at the photo, esp the grill, yuckee...

Maruti!!! are you listening? Bring in SX4 1.6 and price the Hi-Spec model around 9l. Not this toy pls. We Indians more matured than before! :-)
Old 18th January 2007, 11:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
A 3 door toy car to compete with Safari and Scorpio. Something really wrong with these guys at Suzuki. I cant even dare to drive this stuff more than 100kph. And its a 3 door! I bet one lakh rupees, this is a utter failure. Look at the photo, esp the grill, yuckee...

Maruti!!! are you listening? Bring in SX4 1.6 and price the Hi-Spec model around 9l. Not this toy pls. We Indians more matured than before! :-)
I think Jimny is just one more speculation by these so called "motoring experts" from the different newspapers around the country. Jimny was in MUL's plans for several years, just like the Ignis or the Liana were.

Much closer to reality - SX4 has been on the radar screen of MUL since it's development started between Suzuki and Fiat about two years ago. They've set our expectations pretty high after launching the Swift (even if the engine was reused to keep costs low). If they plan to launch something in the 9L bracket, it better be something fresh and appealing like the SX4 – the specs may not be as good as the international models(for obvious reasons). Suzuki has been desperately trying to change it's image all over the world and has also succeeded to an extent. I hope they will not do something stupid like launching an old model(with an odd shape), especially in a price bracket where car owners are very image conscious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks