Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2018, 15:31   #1
BHPian

End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018

As per the following article from carandbike.com, Maruti will stop accepting bookings for the legend, Maruti Suzuki Gypsy from next month. After 33 years of production, they have decided to call it quits as they have no plans to make any further changes to accommodate the new ABS and airbag rules.

Image Source: Team-bhp

Link to the article: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/exclusive...r-2018-1946580

Excerpts from the article:
Quote:
The iconic Maruti Suzuki Gypsy was launched in December 1985 and since has barely had any major changes in terms of the way it looks. Underneath the skin, the car has gone through a fair few updates including a wider track and the evolution from the 1-litre to the 1.3-litre carb engine to the current 1.3-litere MPFI BS4 engine in order to meet emissions standards. That said, production of the Maruti Suzuki Gypsy will now come to an end in March 2019 as it will not be getting an update for the new ABS and airbag rules that are soon to be enforced in India. Bookings for the new car will continue through November and will be shut next month so if you want to grab a slice of classic Indian automotive heritage in a brand new avatar, here is your last chance.

Last edited by R-Six : 13th November 2018 at 15:33.
R-Six is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 15:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018

Saddened to hear this news but lets just hope this move opens up the door for the JIMNY in India
karan561 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 16:11   #3
BHPian

re: End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
lets just hope this move opens up the door for the JIMNY in India

I know that a lot of us are hoping for such a news from Maruti too. But as far as I remember, Maruti had officially announced earlier this year that they do not have any plan to launch the Jimmy here in India. Let's see if they bring in a new surprise announcing an updated plan.
R-Six is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 19:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Saddened to hear this news but lets just hope this move opens up the door for the JIMNY in India
Don't think Jimny is going to happen any time soon here. Read somewhere they're overbooked with their orders and beside their main hub Japan, Indonesia is going to be their another assembly plant to meet these markets demand.

Gypsy has always been a niche product in India and probably the reason why it didn't go through any serious upgrade/modification. More so after Indian army started using other products.
We had great fun traveling in a Gypsy those days. A very basic vehicle without any electronics gizmos made it even more reliable, especially in remote areas.

Adding two snaps here from our 2010 trip.

At snow and mud at Zoji La pass

End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-ya5m0019.jpg

At Panamik, Ladakh

End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-ya5m0119.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 19:16   #5
BHPian

It is a sad day indeed for the Gypsy aficionados.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Maruti Suzuki pulled the plug; I guess the new safety norms coming into effect next year have hastened the process.

Irrespective of the fact whether Suzuki brings Jimny to India or not Gypsy will always have a special place in our hearts.

Having driven the vehicle in its various avatars (MG 410/410W/413W) over the last 30 years, I consider myself fortunate enough (along with a number of forum members) to have finally decided to own a piece of automotive history back in January 2016.

End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-img_20161221_160010_hdr-2.jpg

Sitting halfway across the world, when I was reading this news earlier this morning I felt as if I have lost someone dear to me and I'm sure I will not be the only one to feel that way.

It was a vehicle that evoked very strong emotions and has served the Armed/paramilitary/police forces in addition to the Forest/wildlife and many other govt departments over the last 33 years in addition to cementing its place as one of the best rally vehicles in a number of events held all across India including the most prestigious Himalayan Car Rally & Raid De Himalaya.

It will forever be a Classic, an icon and I'm sure that the passion that a few of us feel for the vehicle will not diminish with this news but will actually be stronger to preserve this piece of automotive history.

Long live the Gypsy!

End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-g-2.jpg
Vikram Arya is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 19:56   #6
BHPian

A true icon! One that has served our defence forces faithfully for a long time. Simple, rugged and stupendously reliable. This was one vehicle which didn't need swanky alloy wheels or catchy body panels to turn heads and be admired.

But, this was supposed to happen sooner or later, as the defence forces have switched over to the Safari Storme and it doesn't make much sense to continue production. Lack of safety is an obvious concern, but that is the case with the other hardcore offroaders as well, be it the Thar or the Force Gurkha.

Looking forward for the next generation of off-roaders.
ram.iyer95 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 09:26   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018

An icon indeed. But instead of lamenting its inevitable demise, I'm actually going to congratulate the car & the company for being in production for 30+ years . Not only the Gypsy, but even the Omni which is going to be RIP soon. Says a lot about:

1. Their USP & utility. Even today, the two do their intended jobs perfectly well.

2. The lack of too many competitors in their segment.

I remember how the Gypsy was the ultimate style icon in the 80s & 90s (although the air-conditioned & comfier Sierra took away some of its yuppie customers).

I hope Gypsy owners hold onto their steeds & maintain them just like us Jeepers do .
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 09:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I remember how the Gypsy was the ultimate style icon in the 80s & 90s
Still the ultimate style icon for me! Have even gotten used to seeing Lambos in Bangalore (on Lavelle Road at least ), so I no longer stop to stare at them. But a Gypsy will see me park and drool anytime!

RIP my boy/teen/adulthood fantasy vehicle.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 10:36   #9
BHPian

Good to see MSIL revamping its portfolio, may be in a few years, it would be a whole new generation of vehicles.

It is an expected move considering upcoming safety regulations and declining sales accompanied by lost military deal to Tata Storme. Sets the stage to bring in JIMNY.

Although an ICON of the 80s, I always felt, Willy's Jeep / Thar have a more Macho appeal. JIMNY is a great looker, if it is bound to launch in India, can become a serious threat to Thar.

JIMNY
End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-key_img002.jpg
http://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobi...mny/index.html
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 10:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

End of the day there are just not enough private buyers for four wheel drive vehicles. Even in the higher end SUV's trend is for two wheel drives.

Have driven - though never owned one - Gypsy across many surfaces.

It is a beast as far as comfort is concerned with extremely bone jarring rides on anything other than smooth roads. It is underpowered and in wrong hands can end up with burnt clutch very quickly. No heating or cooling in O. E. format. No safety of storage on board. O. E. Leaf springs also tended to crack in cold + bumpy trails.

But Gypsy is a love affair all the same and can get you in and out of remote places with aplomb! Will be missed.
sudev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 11:32   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I love the Gypsy to bits.
There is no rational explanation for this.
Glad that I own one.
Have to make sure I keep it in a good state of repair though.

Personally I think it is probably one of the absolute most versatile vehicles out there. With proper modifications done, it does become very comfortable too.

And nothing beats the thrill of driving an old Gypsy up and down...

Having had access to many kinds of 4WD vehicles most of my life, the one I love most is the humble Gypsy. It has a lot of 'heart' and 'soul'...

End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-imageuploadedbyteambhp1542175089.211844.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 11:58   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
I know that a lot of us are hoping for such a news from Maruti too. But as far as I remember, Maruti had officially announced earlier this year that they do not have any plan to launch the Jimmy here in India. Let's see if they bring in a new surprise announcing an updated plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Don't think Jimny is going to happen any time soon here. Read somewhere they're overbooked with their orders and beside their main hub Japan, Indonesia is going to be their another assembly plant to meet these markets demand.
Gypsy was an icon for sure & Maruti would surely want to continue this legacy with the Jimny if not immediately but eventually

Quote:
Gypsy has always been a niche product in India and probably the reason why it didn't go through any serious upgrade/modification. More so after Indian army started using other products.
We had great fun traveling in a Gypsy those days. A very basic vehicle without any electronics gizmos made it even more reliable, especially in remote areas.

Adding two snaps here from our 2010 trip.
Thanks for sharing your experience & pics
Old 14th November 2018, 16:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
It would be lovely if MSIL could launch the Jimny in India, naming it the Gypsy..!
Geo_Ipe is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 02:58   #14
BHPian

Feels like the death news of a family member. Sad news indeed!
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 07:20   #15
BHPian

Sad news indeed. I never found the photos of the Gypsy appealing [not photogenic, in my subjective opinion], but in the flesh and blood it has awesome road presence. What possibly adds to its charm and mystery is that it's not a vehicle spotted too frequently (at least in parts of Bangalore I drive).

Whenever I do manage to spot one, I take a moment to admire it. Some of my earliest childhood memories are with the Gypsy.

Also, I just checked the Oct'18 sale charts put up in the other thread - Seems to me they still, on the average, manage to sell more Gypsys than Corolla + Camry put together! Understandably with lower profit margins on them. In the game of volumes, that may not have made much sense to them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks