Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2007, 14:09   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Being another Bong who lived in WB till about 6 years back, I agree with Sumit's analysis......when the Left Govt was anti-industry, they used to crib. Now Buddhadeb is trying to do something for the state, they crib. You can never satisfy the cheap-publicity-hungry lady in question. She was fasting by day & feasting by night recently.......all for the sake of making an issue for the heck of it!

At the risk of being lynched by her party supporters, I wonder why there has not been any assassination attempt on her recently
Looks like this lady is more horrible than the one in UP
Old 10th January 2007, 15:15   #17
Team-BHP Support

The problem with land acquisitions is not really the quantum of the compensation but compensation as compared to actual land value.
For example when govt acquires agri land to be brought into MCDs it pays some compensation. After this happens and land is given to developers, the value at which it is sold to end users(people buying flats) etc., is several orders higher than what the govt paid.
Its like govt acquires land for 10L, the developer gets it for 15, and after that cuts out plots total value of which is about 5-10 crores.
Punjab has taken the correct step by stating that acquisition will be done at prevailing market rates. I guess big farmers have much larger say in PB so rules are like this.
To give a corollary its like govt acquiring your house at a price slightly more than what you paid for it and then the developers reselling the same for 10 times the price.

Add vote bank politics to the entire scene and you have a recipe for disaster.
Old 10th January 2007, 15:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

The issue at Singur from what I've heard is not the value that the actual landowners are getting. They have all got their money. Its the middlemen who are creating the problem because they see their regular source of income drying up (in rural WB, most landowners give their land out to these middlemen to till, plough etc)
Old 10th January 2007, 15:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Now where is yechury ,Karats ,dasgupta protesting this? why a different rule for WB and mumbai?
They are busy counting the cash they're going to make on this & the Salim group SEZ projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Looks like this lady is more horrible than the one in UP
No I don't think she has any competition, she's too good (at destroying the state) to be compared to Mamta.

BTW I love the fact that the bloody Commies are getting what they gave the country for so many years, might teach them a lesson or two.
Old 10th January 2007, 15:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

C'mon guys, you are making Jaya baby look like a virgin now.
Old 10th January 2007, 16:54   #21
BHPian

My points as I see the SEZ scenario in Bengal:

1. I fully agree that industrialization should happen in Bengal, it may also come at the cost of fertile land (though I'll say that the majority of the area should not be multi-crop). It's the case in Singur that multi-crop and farming land consists major portion of the SEZ.

2. I will also say that the land-owners are compensated for their land @ industrial land rates. In Bengal, it's not happening. Land-owners are compensated @ normal land rates.

3. Beg to differ with Sumit on the vote-bank politics of Left. Singur has always been a non-leftist constituency.

4. I wonder how many farmers and their children will be able to find jobs in a car-manufacturing plant, or else any manufacturing industry without proper training. And knowing our government, I doubt the training part as well, if there is any planned for the future.

By the way, I'm a Bengali too, and will remain apolitical.

Also for the confusing heading: We do not have any plant in Singur as yet, only a barricaded area.

Last edited by noviceDriver : 10th January 2007 at 16:57.
Old 10th January 2007, 17:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviceDriver View Post
4. I wonder how many farmers and their children will be able to find jobs in a car-manufacturing plant, or else any manufacturing industry without proper training. And knowing our government, I doubt the training part as well, if there is any planned for the future.

By the way, I'm a Bengali too, and will remain apolitical.
I don't think its only about jobs for the farmers & their children but jobs for others who live in that state as well.............
Old 10th January 2007, 17:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the only good part of all this is that the commies are getting a taste of their own medicine.

Normally THEY are the ones who launch agitations, bandhs, harthals and generally derail normal life whenever there is some development activity being undertaken.
Totally agree with that! Exactly my thoughts ever since this whole controversy started.
Old 10th January 2007, 17:35   #24
BHPian

I agree with Steeroid's comments. Really now the Communists old tricks came to them as boomerang!

They are just trying to prove themselves as "pro-industry" deleting the decades old "anti-industry" image.

However, now the probelm is not just confined in Singur. It happened to Nandigram as well. Few people's were even killed 2 days back.
The compensation story is just eyewash. Actual poor farmers won't get anything to compensate their lose of work/land. So, agitation is very natural.

Just imagine, if tomorrow govt. asks to you vacate your house (without a compensation which you feel you are entitled) so that someone can make cars on your house - won't you become angry?
Old 10th January 2007, 22:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

I know Singur and hence can say that the govt claim that most of the land being single crop land is correct. The Bargadaars too, in this case, has gotten compensated. However, it might be noted that the Govt announced the Tata motors deal as soon as they were re-elected to power and interestingly it also coincided with the Lady's terrible loss. So on her case, it started mostly as an ego battle. However the hostilities at the site was mostly outsiders, naxalites they say. The main aim was that they did not want Singur to become a benchmark for land acquisition at other places. However all this is already subsiding.

Speaking about the lady, she is doing us a favour, cos we would actually get the roads to drive on a bit longer.Kolkata as it is, is full of slowly driven small cars, owners of which prefer to take the back seat. Once the Singur car comes out, we will have more such examples, making it impossible for guys like us to stretch the legs on our cars during daytime. I support her.
Old 10th January 2007, 22:48   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
Dear freinds, I am a bengali, and I would say I understand the politics of bengal a little bit. As much as I know the government in bengal is a leftist govt, and there vote bank consists of all the poor people. So, it is not possible that the govt will not give a good compensation to the land owners. On the other hand, one lady opposes every move by the govt. It has become such that it has become more of a personal fight of ego for this lady, and not for the common people. The way it is going if that lady's reason's are made the objectives of the state, we will have only farmers and politicians left in the state. All other people who work uder some company or are having business will vasinsh.
You are giving her credit just by calling her a LADY.

She is a goddamn hooligan.
Old 11th January 2007, 00:15   #27
BHPian

Some people are just impossible to understand. It is quite evident, Mamata isn't fighting for the land acquisitions but for her own political mileage. Accepted that the land acquired should not have been an agricultural tract. But the way this episode been converted into a controversy is appalling. What is the opposition trying to prove with daily bandhs? And the public supporting it! Do the majority of them want to remain in slumber forever?
It's time to move on. Kolkata has a very laid back attitude which is definitely helping these political parties.

Last edited by scorp 1 : 11th January 2007 at 00:17.
Old 11th January 2007, 12:46   #28
BHPian

@Nikhil, I have learned from my parents always to respect all persons. I can't go aginst ny nature.

To all, till few years back singur was a sigle crop land. If that has been converted to a multi crop land, with deep tubewells and all, same can be done again with other land places also. Today what WB. needs is industry.
And since most of the WB is fertile land, compromise has to be made to bring industry in WB. No one wants to go away from his hometown leaving behind everything, if he can get a decent living in his hometown.

Kolkatan's Wake up. Or tommorrow all your son's and daughters would leave you to find a decent living in some other place.
Old 11th January 2007, 21:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

No offence meant to anybody,I think somewhere tata might have a feeling about whether they would they been better off had they stuck with Pune itself like the rest of their passenger vehicles range.

Most Viewed