Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 15:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Its sad to see the end of such a good car. When we were looking for small hatch 3 years back for my wife no other car ticked all the boxes from a drivers point of view other than Brio. When we drove it, it felt just right. Nice peppy engine and good handling. 3 years on no issues and still a hoot to drive.
crazyro is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:00   #32
BHPian

As an owner of a Brio, I am sad to see the stoppage of the product. As the third car in the household, we used it for errands and short distances. I guess in the 4 yrs it has never crossed 15 kms peak one way distance from home. Luggage was never an issue due to the same. It continues to fulfill its role with aplomb. While test driving, the peppy engine of the Brio stood out and it continues to please. For a small car in the house I would continue to recommend a Brio. Never had an issue till date. We have not even replaced tyres and batteries till now. While our running is just 2.5k a year, it has served us well.

We were actually looking forward to replacing it with an automatic brio in the not so distant future. But I guess with the next generation not coming to our shores, this is not to be.
arakhanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 12:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda Car India has stopped production of the Brio hatchback. The Brio was the company's entry-level hatchback and though the company had brought in a facelift of the car in 2016 but sales clearly haven't picked up and the now the Amaze has become the company's entry level car for the Indian market. Speaking to PTI, Rajesh Goel, Senior Vice President and Director (Sales and Marketing), Honda Cars India said, "Our entry car is now Amaze. We have stopped production of Brio and as of now we do not intend to bring next generation Brio into India,"
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-bri...-india-1991511
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 12:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
They have got the year of introduction in many news articles wrong.
The Brio was launched in India in September 2001 and till date 97,000 units have been sold

It was 2011, not sure of the month though.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 15:38   #35
BHPian

The days of the Civic, I had decided to buy the smallest Automatic Honda would launch. Brio, it was. There was no automatic in this segment unless you were a fan of Maruti/Hyundai. It still is the best city automatic. Sad to see a line stop!
Neel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 07:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Going by international reviews, the next-gen Brio was the car that could have taken on the Swift heads if Honda undercut the Swift's pricing. If history is anything to go by, they'd just undercut the Baleno.
I'm glad they averted another pricing disaster.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 12th February 2019 at 07:32.
Old 12th February 2019, 07:50   #37
BHPian

From Honda's point of view, I can understand why they have stopped Brio. I believe Brio does not really help Honda with the "Premium" image that they are trying to build in India. The same reason, I believe, why Amaze went through a Generation change and not just a facelift. The same reason, I believe, why BR-V is not getting any sort of updates or facelift in the near future. May be an all new generation of BR-V, based on Amaze platform, is on the anvil?

The incoming Civic, price increased City, Rationalization of Jazz along with price increase, the new CR-V, hopefully HR-V in the future shows what Honda is trying to achieve in India. But any corresponding increase in the quality will leave it to the owners to confirm.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:47   #38
BHPian

As a Brio owner, I feel sad and anxious. Will Honda support owners with spares and service ?!

Such gem of a car lost in whirlwinds of market dynamics.
Old 12th February 2019, 10:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
As a Brio owner, I feel sad and anxious. Will Honda support owners with spares and service ?!
Worry not, as per government rules, the manufacturer has to support customers for 15 years from the day the car's sales are stopped. Honda will have enough resources to support it. As far as engine is concerned, its still used with Amaze so no problems there. We have a Chevvy in our home and the service has not been a problem so far (We recently changed its front bumper too)

I sold the Honda Brio in December last year for a different reason, but Honda lost a great opportunity here, they could have made the car a cult like Swift with better interiors and boot space. She was a pocket rocket for sure.
NiInJa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 17:28   #40
BHPian

RIP Brio!

A great little 2nd car for the family it was. Our Brio is going strong as ever after 6.5 years and 51,000 KM. We will retain it for another 2 years at-least. The latest service from Whitefield Honda was excellent and Honda's Anytime Warranty upto year 7 is a great option for those who plan to retain the car.

Despite concerns about dip in Honda quality - the Brio has behaved very well and my wife is extremely happy with the car. Interiors can be deemed as excellent in terms of wear and tear for a car of this age.
Looks good ! Drives Great !
Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model-img_1809.jpg

We have taken the 7th year warranty valid till Feb 2020. The warranty may also help get a better resale value for those planning to sell.

Only failure on the car till date - has been the light for the AC button! The front shocks have worn out but the ride is acceptable in city driving , so we will change it before the rains.

Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model-anytime-warranty.jpg

Spares are never a problem with Honda, My 19 year old Honda City is in the showroom for service (new shocks and radiator + service) and they said I will get the car in 5 days. The shocks and radiator were weak but no issues with drivability of the car for day to day running.

Last edited by Redline6800 : 12th February 2019 at 17:32.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 23:18   #41
BHPian

I had test driven it a few years ago and had liked it a lot. Didnt go ahead with it because I was looking for a primary car.
Now I am looking for a used one as a secondary car.

There are a lot of Brio's in the used car market with very low miles and available at a reasonable cost. With the production stopped, is it a safe buy? Since Amaze is based on Brio, I am inclined to think parts availability at reasonable cost wont be a problem but still would like to validate from the forum,
Old 7th May 2019, 00:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
You can definitely go for it if you wouldn't mind the city mileage of this 1.2 i-VTEC.

A brother of mine owns one. Close to 80k so far. Spares aren't any issue availability wise but costly compared to today's modular concept.

Nothing will beat the smoothness of this 1.2 i-VTEC & build quality is really good, even few friends with City feels disappointed with their build quality compared to this 2012 Brio.

Good low end grunt for in city driving. But mileage is poor & stays in the range of 10-12 kmpl at max in Kolkata City traffic with A/C. I have seen 9/10 too in those hot summer days with longer engine idle time in signals. Brio A/C is disappointing, it's really week, always needs full blower under hot Kolkata City traffic. However highway figures are good. A fully loaded car with A/C is easily returning 17/18 kmpl while staying in & around that 80-90 kmph mark.

This car is regularly serviced from Honda A.S.S & didn't need any mechanical work till date. Though in our last service, Honda guys did ask us to prepare for a suspension overall in near future.

By the way, we took it to Cars24 for an evaluation & got a 2L offer at this present condition.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model-img_20190304_1801010101.jpg  

Last edited by NaXal : 7th May 2019 at 01:00. Reason: Added cars24 info
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 16:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
I had test driven it a few years ago and had liked it a lot. Didnt go ahead with it because I was looking for a primary car.

There are a lot of Brio's in the used car market with very low miles and available at a reasonable cost. With the production stopped, is it a safe buy? Since Amaze is based on Brio, I am inclined to think parts availability at reasonable cost wont be a problem but still would like to validate from the forum,
I just bought an used E mt with 22000 on the odometer for Rs. 270K. It was a rush deal as my Swift petrol was behaving in an unusual manner and no one could diagnose the issue with it. I sold it off to cars24 and bought this very well maintained 2013 Brio E mt the same day. Its smaller than Swift but I enjoy driving it more. Build quality also appears to be better than Swift.

Don't worry about the spares as the model has just got discontinued and the service stations should be well stocked with the spares. Also the fact that a lot of parts are shared with their now discontinued but popular Amaze, one should be at peace.

Go ahead and choose a well maintained one.
desiaztec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 17:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post

Good low end grunt for in city driving. But mileage is poor & stays in the range of 10-12 kmpl at max in Kolkata City traffic with A/C. I have seen 9/10 too in those hot summer days with longer engine idle time in signals. Brio A/C is disappointing, it's really week, always needs full blower under hot Kolkata City traffic. However highway figures are good. A fully loaded car with A/C is easily returning 17/18 kmpl while staying in & around that 80-90 kmph mark.
Thanks
Do you really get such low mileage? We have a WR-V petrol and it returns better figures in the city, despite the added weight.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 19:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Do you really get such low mileage? We have a WR-V petrol and it returns better figures in the city, despite the added weight.
Not all cities are same when we talk about Bumper to Bumper traffic. Secondly off late the engines are becoming much more fuel efficient compare to similar older engine.

Imagine 40+ minutes for covering 8/9 kms. That's kind of usual when you are stuck in rush hour traffic in central Kolkata & when you have to do that same or similar route couple of times in summer with AC, mileage does drop down to such figures.

Mileage does climb up in that 13-14 range if the driving is done via out edges of the city, using much longer bypass routes & when traffic is moderate.

Brio isn't for city mileage, it's smooth, it's relaxing, it won't complain doing city duty all day long. Take it on highway, 1.2 iVTEC won't complain cruising at triple digit figures all day long. Stay within 80, be gentle with the A Pedal & it will return 20 kmpl with full load.

So it's completely on traffic density.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks