Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2018, 12:16   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,511
Thanked: 9,571 Times
Default re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

It's a pity that Honda couldn't crack this segment; one with tremendous potential given how customers shopping in it have gotten slightly ambitious. Honda and Toyota have one common lesson that they refuse to learn: the brand pull (in terms of reliability) can only do so much.

Rarely have go-arounds been successful in India (Maruti Suzuki aside) but Honda should have tried. Hope they come up with something for the vast playing field that exists before Jazz/Amaze.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 19:42   #17
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 973
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Will be sad to see the car go. In my area in Chennai, it was like everyone's favourite second car (small). Mostly automatics as well.

It's a small car with a good amount of space inside. Maybe they should gone with a little more length and given it a more reasonable boot area. 5 speed AT was a boon and it didn't lack any engine power.

Hopefully there'll not be any issues with spares. Looks like a block of cheese and always wondered how quickly the car ended when the valet took it out of a parking lot.

It is a very small dimensioned car Cute and almost mouse like in traffic.
SchumiFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:16   #18
BHPian
 
aniyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 531
Thanked: 1,445 Times
Default re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

I have Brio for more than 3 years now and I always feel this is a car that is brilliant in city and decent on the highways. Its quite stable for the size.

Everytime I think of buying a bigger car, Brio easy city driving make me push the purchase. For a couple with no kids this is sufficient.

They could have done better, give it a bigger boot (approx 250L) and the correct the glass hatch. Though I love it as is the market has not been kind to the design.
aniyo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:23   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

At the cost of over-generalizing, I feel that the way Honda operates and Japanese corporate culture is the reason why we are seeing this. Japanese culture does not believe in operating on the fly and large Japanese companies are not capable of iterating quickly based on customer feedback. They are more likely to 'engineer' the perfect product after years of analysis and factoring in more variables than most other companies, but if they are proven wrong with a product launch, it is hard for them to respond quickly with a MVP model and building it out post launch. Case in point, look at Honda's performance in F1. I also see this in Sony (Vaio, Walkman), Mitshubushi (Evo), Nissan (GT-R), etc. Arguably, Suzuki has done well in India because it has been, and continues to be essentially Maruti (while there are no Indians at the Board level, the execution is in the hands of upper middle management which is almost filled with Maruti veterans who have the freedom and are able to influence design and production decisions within the Sub-continent). Just my opinion
ascension is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 18:10   #20
BHPian
 
SnS_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 774
Thanked: 3,672 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I have Brio for more than 3 years now and I always feel this is a car that is brilliant in city and decent on the highways. Its quite stable for the size.

Everytime I think of buying a bigger car, Brio easy city driving make me push the purchase. For a couple with no kids this is sufficient.

They could have done better, give it a bigger boot (approx 250L) and the correct the glass hatch. Though I love it as is the market has not been kind to the design.
Our family at one point owned the Swift VXI (1.2) along with our Brio VX. The biggest reason for the failure of the Brio was I believe the hidious looking dashboard witn a three tone paint and the lack of features. No automatic climate control or even automatic door locks once you get going? On the exterior it had to be the rear end which did not inpress the masses.

Other than that it was far better when compared to the Swift on following points:

A) Better Handling
B) Better Brakes (On our swift it just never inspired enough confidence)
C) Better built quality
D) Engine felt slightly better tanks to the VTEC on top end
E) More legroom at the back, which could seat three more comfortably
SnS_12 is offline  
Old 19th November 2018, 18:52   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 262
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Bought a Brio VX in 2016. Makes me sad that we won't have a new version in market.
I believe its the most apt car for city driving which ticks almost all the right boxes.
In fact i find it super agile, comfortable and fast enough to close gaps in the city.
Honda could have introduced it with redesigned tailgate and at a nice price, and Honda loyal customer would have bought it.
I know many people who are now stuck, they can't get a small car from Honda below City, and can't upgrade to bigger Honda after City.
So Honda is in-fact leaving no stone un-turned to kill itself.
Those who own Honda Brio love it, while others don't even consider as a car make available in hatchback segment.
zoom_vroom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 18:55   #22
BHPian
 
aniyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 531
Thanked: 1,445 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Other than that it was far better when compared to the Swift on following points:

A) Better Handling
B) Better Brakes (On our swift it just never inspired enough confidence)
C) Better built quality
D) Engine felt slightly better tanks to the VTEC on top end
E) More legroom at the back, which could seat three more comfortably
I agree that the Dash is pathetic but the new one did seem to better the old one.
Many people are surprised with the space internally. I will be holding the car for 2-3 years more before selling it off. The car has never let me stranded and I am overall a satisfied customer.
Nearing 50k KM, I am still on everything original only things changed are tires at 40k, wanted to get rid of goodyear and buy Michelin.
aniyo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 21:48   #23
BHPian
 
M00M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 708
Thanked: 849 Times
Default Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Our family at one point owned the Swift VXI (1.2) along with our Brio VX. The biggest reason for the failure of the Brio was I believe the hidious looking dashboard witn a three tone paint and the lack of features. No automatic climate control or even automatic door locks once you get going? On the exterior it had to be the rear end which did not inpress the masses.

y

Would like to know if your swift had all these features that you say were missing ? For example the auto climate control and the auto door lock ?

Because from what I remember even the swift did not have these features and this brio was a competitor to swift.

The reason why brio did not sell was only 2. Small boot and high price.

The dashboard was matching the cute exterior but the price is high and small boot which made it only a city car.

I have a Brio VX AT and I am super happy with it. Yes I thought price was high when I bought it and feel the jazz is a better alternative but I wanted the brio so bought a brio. The only thing I have a problem with is small boot otherwise super happy with this cute little car.

Sorry just editing after buying this VX AT I updated my HU with a touchscreen with reverse camera and sensors. I even installed the Honda arm rest console , the spoiler and the exterior mirror auto fold system. It lacks outright punch on auto but at 120-130 it feels super stable which is rare for a car of this size. Too bad Honda doesn't know how to package and sell cars anymore.

Last edited by M00M : 19th November 2018 at 21:51.
M00M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 22:27   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WB 26
Posts: 3,373
Thanked: 2,772 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Uncle has a pre facelift Brio S-MT in ralleye red that he bought two and half years back on my recommendation.
The car, although used sparingly on weekends only (he has a beater WagonR for his office commute) , is holding pretty well, with zero rattles or squeaks.
Hopefully Honda shall continue to stock parts for servicing existing cars on road.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
I know many people who are now stuck, they can't get a small car from Honda below City, and can't upgrade to bigger Honda after City.
Well there's Jazz, WRV and Amaze below City, and Honda is bringing back the Civic soon.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 00:41   #25
BHPian
 
SnS_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 774
Thanked: 3,672 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Would like to know if your swift had all these features that you say were missing ? For example the auto climate control and the auto door lock ?

Because from what I remember even the swift did not have these features and this brio was a competitor to swift.

The reason why brio did not sell was only 2. Small boot and high price.

The dashboard was matching the cute exterior but the price is high and small boot which made it only a city car.

I have a Brio VX AT and I am super happy with it. Yes I thought price was high when I bought it and feel the jazz is a better alternative but I wanted the brio so bought a brio. The only thing I have a problem with is small boot otherwise super happy with this cute little car.

Sorry just editing after buying this VX AT I updated my HU with a touchscreen with reverse camera and sensors. I even installed the Honda arm rest console , the spoiler and the exterior mirror auto fold system. It lacks outright punch on auto but at 120-130 it feels super stable which is rare for a car of this size. Too bad Honda doesn't know how to package and sell cars anymore.
Our swift did not have auto climate control but did have auto lock as it was a VXI, but, the ZXI model I guess did have one. Our Brio being the VX , which is the top end manual does not have one and also compared to the swift I find the ac also to be weaker.

I guess what you are referring too is the VDI, which is the diesel as the Swift intially did not have a ZDI model and the VDI was the top end model back then. Also, I think majority of Swift on the street is the diesel version, which the Brio also needed to compete with the Swift.

Last edited by SnS_12 : 20th November 2018 at 00:50.
SnS_12 is offline  
Old 20th November 2018, 07:36   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,453
Thanked: 9,943 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

An opportunity miss!

There is a big scarcity of AT hatchbacks in our market even now. Especially to be used as a second/ city car for the family. Let me explain:

1) Someone who is not looking at AMT. That unfortunately removes a lot of capable cars from the equation. People are now being forced to look at AMT.
2) Someone who is vary about DSG and doesn't need all the firepower of the TSi engine - besides the GT is now too expensive.
3) Someone who is vary about picking something from the house of Nissan.
4) And cannot digest the price, wrong kit (prioritizing diamond cut alloys, touchscreen over rear wiper or a seat-belt pretensioner) or the poor FE of Hyundai's AT offerings.

Baleno CVT Delta comes close. But its too bulbous and not for someone who is looking for a compact car. Also not to forget the price of around 8.5 lakhs.

Honda could have done much more to fill that hole with the recent face-lift:

1) Why didn't we get this car from Indonesia?
Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model-brioindonesia7.jpg

2) Why wasn't the Brio equipped with a CVT like the Amaze or Jazz instead of a fuel guzzling 5 speed torque converter?

The current offering here is simply not worth 8 lakhs on road. And that's the reason why Honda cannot sustain it. Had it been thought through well, a lot more people would have bought the Brio. I would have!

And no marketing can bring a you more customers to buy the pricier offerings like a well appointed entry level hatchback. A big opportunity miss for Honda India I feel!

pic source (Indonesia: New Honda Brio unveiled. Facelift or a new generation?)
deetjohn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 12:40   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: JVPD , Mumbai
Posts: 301
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Honda India is probably not interested to sell cheap cars here any more. They tried with the Brio. In fact if you see the Team Bhp review of the very first Brio it has a special mention that Toyota should learn from Honda Brio how to make a car with good interiors at a cost.

I have a Brio which my wife uses and its a bulletproof vehicle. No nonsence to maintain that can go on and on. Very convenient for City. Not so good on highway even with upgraded tyres. That generation brio was amongst the most reliable cars available at that time.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 12:48   #28
BHPian
 
nikipedia87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 212
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
... In fact if you see the Team Bhp review of the very first Brio it has a special mention that Toyota should learn from Honda Brio how to make a car with good interiors at a cost.

I have a Brio which my wife uses and its a bulletproof vehicle. No nonsence to maintain that can go on and on. Very convenient for City. Not so good on highway even with upgraded tyres. That generation brio was amongst the most reliable cars available at that time.

Agree with you. I have a 2012 model Energetic Blue Brio (which you can see in my DP). Bought it back then because it ticked most boxes for me. Very reliable and fun to drive. In fact, it almost feels like a go-kart while driving it in the city. Out on the highway as well, it has been quite stable, except for the bouncy ride at the rear over undulations. No rattles or squeaks so far (except for the noisy Goodyear GT3 tyres that my car came with; their grip levels are phenomenal though). Overall, I have been very happy with my car over the last 6 years of ownership.
nikipedia87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 14:42   #29
BHPian
 
avisidhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 733
Thanked: 795 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio production stopped; no plans to bring the updated model

Or, they could have just retained it in the market by plonking the 1.5 engine and advertising it as probably the most fun to drive hatchback south of 10 Lakhs!

After all if FrankMehta can do it, why can't Honda? The name too is there, if Honda wants to be adventurous

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-engine-6.html (Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!)
avisidhu is offline  
Old 20th November 2018, 19:07   #30
BHPian
 
M00M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 708
Thanked: 849 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
the ac also to be weaker.
.

Yes AC is slightly weak. I think compressor is small, although not sure. Also with the AT the power curve is not linear if you press the accelerator quickly it lacks outright punch but drive slowly it can do 120-130 safely and maintain sturdily.

Brio has consistently ranked as the most reliable car by JD power India in its segment with least problems.

The thing i miss : rear wiper, more power of 1.5, slightly bigger boot.
M00M is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks