Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 17:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Swift: A whopping 20 lakh sales up

Maruti Suzuki has sold a whopping 20 lakh units of the Swift hatchback since it was first launched in May 2005.

Maruti Swift: A whopping 20 lakh sales up-image001.jpg

By September 2010, Maruti had sold 5 lakh units, while the milestone of 10 lakh units was achieved in September 2013. In the next 2 years, the carmaker sold 5 lakh units of the Swift.

The third generation Swift was launched at the 2018 Auto Expo. It achieved the fastest 1 lakh bookings in less than 10 weeks after its launch. During April-October 2018, Maruti increased the production of the model by 45% to 1.39 lakh units compared to the same period last year.

The new Swift is based on the fifth generation Heartect platform. It is offered with a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm of torque @ 4,200 rpm and a 1.3-litre, 4-cylinder diesel unit that puts out 74 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 190 Nm @ 2,000 rpm. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and 5-speed AMT.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 17:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift: A whopping 20 lakh sales up

Why am I not surprised. We still use our 2008 VDi. Its frugal, cheap to maintain, easy to repair, can be parked easily and you dont mind giving the keys to your driver or a friend.
Sure, it could do with some more interior space or a bigger boot or a front hand rest and maybe a little less rattles, and I am not sure how the new one has improved over the model that was initially launched in India but the first gen was quite a package on the whole for in-city commutes.

Last edited by bigron : 27th November 2018 at 17:44.
bigron is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 18:26   #3
BHPian

I as a previous Swift owner am also a part of this celebration and milestone.

But I have moved on. It was 1.2 lacs Km old (and I mean it) when I sold her in 2015.

It was the first car I bought in India after I could legally drive. Dad had already got it even before consulting me and really didn't have an option of backing out. We had bought it pre owned and deal was already finalized before I could intervene. It served us for 8 years before it was disposed off.

Till date I have not been able to figure out why the hell this car sells so much. Other than being agile and chuckable I hardly found anything appealing. Yes, the time it was launched the design was pretty radical and I completely agree with initial hoopla.

Brakes were horrible. Build was horrible. Even a rattle snake would run away thinking there is something bigger which rattles more

The iterations over the year have definitely improved braking, handling and other such stuff. But build remains iffy at least the Indian versions.

The famed Maruti service - I still don't get what's so special about it. Being Maruti owners for 3 decades I never found anything special about the service except for the service network. Got to agree that you would find service centers at the most remote locations. But they are more "Chindi Chor" compared to other European counterparts. They milk money in the name of silly stuff unlike others. And since the bills are not too huge common folks hardly notice.

We owned 800 (best of the lot), Wagon R, Ritz and Swifts within immediate family. I don't think I am ever buying a Maruti again (may be when they get into luxury segment). Other than fuel efficiency (which is attributed to light build) there is not one single parameter where it’s better than competitors. I am not buying the reliable argument as most vehicles above 6-7 lacs range have enough electronics in them to make them unreliable.

Irony is everyone still flocks to get Marutis. Unless we start choosing better cars we will continue getting such treatment from other manufacturers.

No offence meant to any Maruti owners. Even I was one for 3 decades. Am not touching one with barge pole till they start getting their international versions for us Indians.

Last edited by nibedk : 27th November 2018 at 18:28. Reason: Correction
nibedk is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 19:15   #4
BHPian

What is the replacement in 2018 for all the character various Swift generations possessed ?
Style + chuckable + FTD chassis & engine + Hatch + frugal + reliable.
2018 additions -> safer + creature comforts

Is it the 3rd gen Swift again ? Any other like Tiago JTP, Polo TSI etc ? Or does the wait continue ?
anthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 22:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
What is the replacement in 2018 for all the character various Swift generations possessed ?
Style + chuckable + FTD chassis & engine + Hatch + frugal + reliable.
2018 additions -> safer + creature comforts

Is it the 3rd gen Swift again ? Any other like Tiago JTP, Polo TSI etc ? Or does the wait continue ?
Wish they get serious about providing safety too and i wish that Indians get more serious about safety too. From 0 stars to 2 stars is a major disappointment.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 23:07   #6

These are mind blowing numbers for what was perceived as a premium hatch.

We had one from 2008, a VDI variant and have fond memories of it's addictive torque. Had to sell it for it's lack of safety features.
lazybird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 10:21   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great looking, fun to drive, lots of after-market support for mods. A budget enthusiast's car; I've loved each generation of the Swift. Even the 1st gen - for all its flaws - was a good car by the standards then. And the new one is just wow. I thoroughly enjoyed driving it for our official review. My pick would be the Petrol MT with that sweet 1.2L petrol (AMTs are too jerky & there are better diesels from the competition).

Such a thread on an enthusiast's forum cannot be complete without pics of modded Swifts, so here goes (pic source):
Maruti Swift: A whopping 20 lakh sales up-30856057_197114484409122_6542783793806180352_n.jpg

Maruti Swift: A whopping 20 lakh sales up-31042912_629072424108182_7066207188972208128_n.jpg
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 11:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I still remember the test drive of the 1.3 Multijet (DDiS) Swift. I was blown away by the turbo kick at @1800! What a feeling. It's been 13 years yet I remember it vividly!

BTW, how many 1.3 Multijet engines would Fiat have sold by now? Anyone? Does anyone in Fiat India care to celebrate?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 11:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great looking, fun to drive, lots of after-market support for mods. A budget enthusiast's car; I've loved each generation of the Swift. Even the 1st gen - for all its flaws - was a good car by the standards then. And the new one is just wow. I thoroughly enjoyed driving it for our official review. My pick would be the Petrol MT with that sweet 1.2L petrol (AMTs are too jerky & there are better diesels from the competition).
Being good looking and fun to drive is one thing, and being unsafe is another. For me, i would prefer a solidly built car with reasonable performance and average after sales, any day, over a lightly build, fast but structurally unstable and unsafe car with better after sales support.

This coming from a die hard Maruti loyalist (having owned M800 carb, WagonR F10D, WagonR K10, Esteem MPFI, Alto before). I too , will not touch the Swift or any other Maruti this side of 10 lacs (except perhaps for the Brezza), with a barge pole.

For me, fun to drive starts with the safety and solidity aspect. Otherwise, i could just ride a fast light 2 wheeler for all the fun in the world.

Last edited by DCEite : 28th November 2018 at 11:18.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 10:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

I bought my first own car Santro back in Dec 2004 and just after six months, MSIL launched Swift( APR 2005). During that time, we were aware of MINI due to The Italian Job movie. Some of us especially went to MS showroom to see MINI's practical copy from MSIL. Swift was a fresh looking and fun to drive car during that time.

20 Lakhs is an amazing number. A well-deserved achievement.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 13:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Swift surpasses 23 Lakh Unit Sales Milestone. The landmark figure was achieved in 15 years since the first-generation Swift went on sale in the year 2005.

Maruti Swift: A whopping 20 lakh sales up-smartselect_20210123134831_chrome.jpg

Quote:
Speaking on the milestone, Shashank Srivastava, Executive Director (Marketing & Sales), Maruti Suzuki India Limited, said, "Maruti Suzuki Swift has been the best-selling premium hatchback in the country for the past 15 years with over 2.3 million delighted customers. Despite the adverse impact of COVID-19, brand Swift sold over 160,700 units in CY 2020, emerging as the top brand in the pecking order. We take this opportunity to thank our loyal customers for their constant support and trust in brand Swift. I am confident that with continuous customer support Swift will successfully achieve many more milestones in future."
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 14:34   #12
BHPian

India’s own MiniCooper.
Being a Maruti, it was always high on family buyer’s radar. But when I was young (still not driving age), getting a red swift with tinted glasses and modding it up was what announced that you had arrived in life. Sounds childish I know. The point I am trying to make is - this car has caught the attention of folks across age groups since first gen. No wonder it’s such a big success.

Last edited by warrioraks : 23rd January 2021 at 15:04.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 12:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Swift sales cross the 25 lakh mark

Maruti Suzuki has achieved a new milestone as the cumulative sales of the Swift cross the 25 lakh unit mark.

Maruti Swift: A whopping 20 lakh sales up-image001-1.jpg

The Swift was launched in the Indian market in 2005. Within 5 years, Maruti had sold over 5 lakh cars. By 2013, 10 lakh units were sold and in 2018, the cumulative sales of the model crossed the 20 lakh mark. The Swift was the no.1 selling car of FY2020-21.

The third-generation Swift was launched at the 2018 Auto Expo. The car is based on the fifth-generation Heartect platform. It is powered by a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 89 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm of torque @ 4,400 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission.
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 13:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Swift was launched in the Indian market in 2005. Within 5 years, Maruti had sold over 5 lakh cars.
I had the Swift Petrol with G13B engine in late 2005 if I remember correctly, in black colour. Back then the car was very rare and that was the first-ever in our place. Had exclusivity till the diesel came. Many features on the Swift back then were an industry first for a car of that price.

Have many great memories of it
The major problems I faced were the low ground clearance and never-ending rattles. But it was a good car to drive

But somehow the later generations including the first-ever facelift, were not appealing to me. But then it became a huge hit.
igemini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 17:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki Swift surpasses 23 Lakh Unit Sales Milestone. The landmark figure was achieved in 15 years since the first-generation Swift went on sale in the year 2005.

Attachment 2112222

Source
A whopping two lakh units in less than 9 months is a feat in itself. Perhaps far more than the total sales of the brands like Honda, VW/Skoda, Ford, Nissan, Renault, Toyota combined. Goes on to say a lot about the confidence, love and fan following the people have shown for this car.

This is when there is only a single petrol engine on offer with a manual and a rather inferior automatic transmission. The previous generations had the superb 1.3L Fiat DDiS as well. Also, Maruti production and sales have taken the same impact as all other brands due to Covid. Add to that, competition within the brand itself from Baleno.
Commendable! Maruti surely deserves an applaud for this feat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks