Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which engine option would you take with the OHC body ?
Give me the OHC body with the NHC 1.5 engine 3 5.00%
Give me the OHC body with the NHC 1.5 Vtec engine 9 15.00%
Give me the OHC body with OHC 1.3 engine 1 1.67%
Give me the OHC body with OHC 1.5 engine 4 6.67%
Give me the OHC body with OHC 1.5 Vtec engine 37 61.67%
I like the NHC the way it is 6 10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2007, 17:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
how about this .....

a NHC body with a OHC 1.3 engine ?.... i think this would have effectively killed the ACCENT, IKON, FIESTA, AVEO, and whatever else that sells in this segment,.....
but what about the people who dont like the looks of the nhc.
Old 11th January 2007, 18:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
but what about the people who dont like the looks of the nhc.

good question...but tell me how many are presently buying it for its looks ?
Old 11th January 2007, 18:10   #18
BHPian

Like thats ever going to happen !! I for one have always lamented the demise of the Zen. Why could'nt Suzuki upgrade(but retain)the existing chasis, for additional torsional rigidity to fare better in crash tests, and be an overall safer contemperory car, yet retaining the very first design it was launched in.
There are very few,..I repeat very few cars out there which create a Marquee which can last forever (Mustangs-for being the affordable performance car, Civics & Corrollas- for being bulletproof mass market car,..& hec even our own ALto's-the subsequent 3 generations selling side by side), then again for how long is forever. Like all good things, the OHC will eventually have to be laid to rest,..the last few well kept examples might last the decade. Like change is inevitable, the demise of the OHC has to make way for new ground in engineering & design with cars such as the NHC inspired Civic (How many of us have felt and traced the NHC lines on the new Civic). However if I had to take this Poll,..my money is on the OHC Vtec,..just the way it was (albiet, tuned by Hirotoshi & Masao themself).
Old 11th January 2007, 18:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan
how about this ..... a NHC body with a OHC 1.3 engine ?.... i think this would have effectively killed the ACCENT, IKON, FIESTA, AVEO, and whatever else that sells in this segment,.....
You have a point there. I am sure it would have made life tough for the competition.
Old 11th January 2007, 18:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
good question...but tell me how many are presently buying it for its looks ?
IMHO, NHC ZX's side, rear & top views are better than most cars.
I find its front profile quite bland & uninspiring. Though it makes up for interiors.

Last edited by msdivy : 11th January 2007 at 18:23.
Old 11th January 2007, 18:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I was thinking about a scenario, where the big boys at Honda take inspiration from our forum and decide to bring back the OHC body (the shape, looks etc) with the following engine options.
Like thats ever going to happen !! I for one have always lamented the demise of the Zen. Why could'nt Suzuki upgrade(but retain)the existing chasis, for additional torsional rigidity to fare better in crash tests, and be an overall safer contemperory car, yet retaining the very first design it was launched in.
There are very few,..I repeat very few cars out there which create a Marquee which can last forever (Mustangs-for being the affordable performance car, Civics & Corrollas- for being bulletproof mass market car,..& hec even our own ALto's-the subsequent 3 generations selling side by side), then again for how long is forever. Like all good things, the OHC will eventually have to be laid to rest,..the last few well kept examples might last the decade. Like change is inevitable, the demise of the OHC has to make way for new ground in engineering & design with cars such as the NHC inspired Civic (How many of us have felt and traced the NHC lines on the new Civic). However if I had to take this Poll,..my money is on the OHC Vtec,..just the way it was (albiet, tuned by Hirotoshi & Masao themself).
Old 11th January 2007, 19:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

i think as the indian automobile market shapes up, some time in the future maybe HONDA will come out with a "then " modern interpretation of the OHC like we have so many iterations of old italian and british sportcars with modern mechanical bits but the design being inspired by the original model... ( just wishfull thinking i guess !! )
Old 11th January 2007, 20:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. @narayan, now you are talking.
Even though as you said, for the moment it could be just wishful thinking.
Old 11th January 2007, 20:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well am going OT,but by this logic The qualis would also have to be relaunched by toyota in its modern avatar considering its popularity even now in India.[The innova definitely cant be called a modern qualis,nor can the Toyota avanza]

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 11th January 2007 at 20:09.
Old 11th January 2007, 20:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well, if they were to launch the Qualis again, I am sure they will get quite a lot of takers in the transport business, who do not really care how old that model is in the international market as long as it is the best among the prevailing competition.
Old 11th January 2007, 20:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am in minority here who have voted for I like NHC the way it is.
Mainly because I don't think comparing OHC with NHC is fair competition. Both cars were designed with completely different buyer in mind.

The only flaw with NHC is the car it replaced. Since OHC was performance oriented everyone assumed NHC to be one too and then NHC blame game started.

So to answer the original thread question No. OHC body with NHC engine doesn't appeal to me.
Old 11th January 2007, 20:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Both cars were designed with completely different buyer in mind.
@adya33, could you please explain that ? I do not see any difference in the target market segment for the OHC then and the NHC now - same segment that wants an executive C-segmenter with a bias towards Jap/Honda pedigree.
What could have changed between then and now is money availability, people's aspiration levels and the fact that a C-segmenter is today mostly a choice even for a first time car buyer (unlike then, when they would go for a M800 or Zen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
The only flaw with NHC is the car it replaced. Since OHC was performance oriented everyone assumed NHC to be one too and then NHC blame game started.
I think the biggest grouse with the NHC was its odd shape, more so when compared to the clean lines of its predecessor. The performance is more than adequate for your average joe that uses the car mostly in city. Only the serious racers / revvers would have found it less satisfying, but then they would be a minority among the target market.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th January 2007 at 20:38.
Old 11th January 2007, 21:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
@adya33, could you please explain that ?
Certainly. When OHC was in production there was no need for any performance freak to look beyond OHC.
With NHC, any performance freak will not even look at it.

Quote:
I think the biggest grouse with the NHC was its odd shape, more so when compared to the clean lines of its predecessor.
Exactly my point. Since the name "City" has been kept, NHC will be compared to OHC no matter how unfair it might be.
The performance is surely adequate for Joe, but then Joe also like NHC's shape. But looks, colour are subjective so there is no point in debating over it.
Old 11th January 2007, 21:16   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the most obvious choice. The next closest choice of the NHC body OHC Vtec engine would not even have come close due to the heavier weight of the NHC
Old 11th January 2007, 21:56   #30
BHPian

[quote=supremeBaleno;353075]... love FE cars and the 76bhp or so put out by the NHC is more than adequate for my needs (city and highway). The looks (or lack of it) was the only thing that put me off and made me go the Baleno way. QUOTE]

pardon my ignorance, but u went the baleno way considering the looks as the main criteria? i think the one car that fails miserably in that dept is the baleno. nhc, howsoever bad it looks, still has its own charm. the charm of a city slugger. its as easy to drive as, say, a zen or an m800.

continuing with the poll. my choice would be to leave the OHC alone with its own stonker of a 1.5 engine. the sleek looks with oodles of power. the OHC represented a fresh breed of performance automobile that the Indian market lacked for so long... believe me, no manufacturer put performance into perspective before launching a new model, before Honda came into existence.

the nhc with its so-called fuel efficient 77 HP engine is a blunder as far as the motor is concerned. my friend's 1.5 Exi OHC returns 14 kpl. My relative's NHC gives 12. 23 BHP down and still not even as fuel-efficient as the older sis? What happened there, Honda?
Initial rumours claimed an FE of 17 for the NHC. ppl were surprised. and excited. but the truth came out.

i dont think cross-breeding between the 2 gens of Honda City is a good idea. Both are fantastic in their own respect. OHC with its beautiful heart. NHC for its much sophisticated ride and nice interiors, which the OHC simply lacked. it feels like ur sitting in a 2L car, not a 10L one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks