Team-BHP - Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/204395-did-you-ever-sell-car-reasons-other-than-upgrade-6.html)

I sold off my Hyundai i10 in 2012 after hitting a pigeon and pig in a span of few days.
It was a early morning drive and I had not noticed the pigeon which was on road till I was almost on it.

This incident kind of disturbed me and within a span of few days, I was waiting for my cousin when a pig came and hit my car which was stationary, breaking the number plate and lower part of the grill. This was enough for me to let go the car.

The car was close to 3 years old and around 22K kms on the odo. The car I bought as replacement was Fiat Punto and hence no regrets on the sale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaviRai12 (Post 4509938)
I sold off my Hyundai i10 in 2012 after hitting a pigeon and pig in a span of few days.

On a similar note, i hit 3 crows in a span of 6 months with my car and strangely all 3 of them were flying. Now dont get me wrong, the car was not flying:uncontrol. It was just that the crows were in stealth mode. But i did not sell my vehicle. Infact it managed to hit a total of 8 crows, mind you nothing else - no pigeons, dogs, cats, bovine creatures etc, just crows in the last 8 years of ownership. Apart from that the vehicle was absolutely a gem and one of its kind. A Ford Fusion

Ofcourse, i sold 2 of my vehicles thanks to handicap of missus not driving and having to shell through nose for a parking space. Now i am left with one big monster truck

We sold our 4wd Scorpio last year just before moving abroad. Kept our other car though (2006 Swift) and use it when on vacation in Bangalore.

With a heavy heart sold off my Manza (80k on the odo, close to 7 years old) simply because it was not being used. The car used to see a weekly run of close to 300 kms was barely being used for that distance over a month now! The 'automatic' hatch Tiago was being used as the de-facto choice for short trips. Nothing could beat the comfort of the Manza on long distances, but those trips had reduced to once a year. Did not make sense just retaining the car and maintaining it (semi-annual teflon coating, anti-rust coating, interior detailing and servicing) just to keep it in perfect shape.
Went on to an owner who appreciated the efforts that had been put into maintaining that lovely car.

After holding on to a 20-year old Maruti 800 for the longest time purely due to sentimental value, we finally sold it last month, after parking space became an issue.

We are still holding on to an even older Amby for sentimental reasons. Go figure . . . stupid:

Not yet. But I will junking my car once it completes 15 years and not planning to get a replacement or upgrade. Taking car out once in a month does not do justice to owning a car. However, I might get a downgrade, most likely from a used market.

The tale I am scribbling down has a mix of everything-- superstition, misogyny, a social evil like dowry and sadly, even domestic abuse!

The year was 2010 and a young woman in my neighbour was getting married. As dowry, her father presented a grey Hyundai i10 to her in-laws.

Fast forward two years, the marriage didn't work out and the young lady returned to her father's home, after months of physical and verbal abuse at the hands of her husband. The grey i10 came back with her.

For some godforsaken reason, the uncle blamed THE CAR for her daughter's fate and sold it the very next day without waiting to find a good deal.

He allegedly lost close to a lakh but wasn't bothered at he could not "stand the sight" of the poor car.

My dad bought a brand new 2007 5 speed Maruti 800 without even informing me(I was in college in another city then).
He could not tolerate the space(or the lack of, we are a family of 6 footers) and we sold it within the next two months.

We also had a Tata estate in 2001, which we sold away because it was cancer to the garage. So totally unreliable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by car.lover (Post 4509830)
2. Recently, in 2018- sold my Beemer F10 (520d) - still hearbroken - after the water flooding in Mumbai - though I did not have major ingress, (the car had stalled in ankle deep water) - did not want to take a risk with no warranty.

You mean to say knee deep?

My story involves buying the car as owner did not have parking space!

My friend had bought Innova, Scorpio and Beat incrementally and the Getz Prime( which I ended up buying) did not have any space to park. He parked the car on road for a month or so before selling it to me! Was a wonderful car though!

A friend replaced his 1year old i20 to a Polo GT- petrol because his mother couldn't stand the smell of a diesel car and his father felt it was too big to drive in town.

We sold our Kwid 0.8litres after 2 years of use because of neverending niggles and problems. :deadhorse

Sold my 2013 Figo because of the heavy clutch. There was no reason otherwise. Loved the car to bits. Had to buy an AMT/automatic. My knee was getting worse with each passing day and driving the Figo within the city was a nightmare. Now I drive a Tiago XZA and my knee is happy; in fact, it's improved. And I often hear this voice in my head that wants me to go get the Figo back.

Yes, a few times:

- I went from a BMW 3 series coupe (E92) to a VW GTI. I don't think that's necessarily an upgrade, but the criteria was it should have four doors and I wanted to keep it small as I enjoy small cars. But in my opinion the E92 was more fun. The GTI is still fun, but the last of the BMWs with hydraulic BMW's signature "heavy" steering was sublime. I would call this a side-grade or even a slight downgrade (which I don't regret at all).

- Another time I sold a car (my Figo) was for the sake of relocating. Still miss that car! I loved that generation of Fords (Ikon / Fiesta / original Figo).

- I bought a very old and battered car (an Acura Integra) super-cheap for my wife to learn driving on. After she got her license, we sold it (for more than we had paid for it :) )

- I also sold a 370Z just after a few months of enjoying it. In short.. it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. I sold it and bought a motorcycle.

1. Sold 2008 Tata Indica in 2016 after 78k kms due to mounting repair bills. Felt its end of life for the car.
2. Sold 2012 Chevrolet Beat in 2018 after 56000 kms solely because it was an extra car at home. Dad was using it when going out alone and used the sedan while going with family. Since, I moved to a different city there was noone to take care of the cars.
Never really sold cars for the sake of an upgrade. It was usually because the car was nearing its end of life with repair costs not justifying the residual value of the car. The sell offs eventually paved way to better cars in the garage.

Cars at home now Fiat Linea 30k kms and Ford Classic at 60k kms. Hope to maintain them immaculately to last around 2 lakh kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatbits (Post 4510251)
You mean to say knee deep?

Well, there was no ingress into the cabin - so less than knee deep, but more than ankle deep - so let's settle at shin deep? :)