Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2018, 11:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

MPVs are back! Sales zoom, 6 new launches expected

I have moved from sedans (12 years) to MPV (2.5 yrs now) and I don't think I will ever "go back" to 5 seaters ever again. To me, it is a bit like going for a 2 seater 'family' car - meaning it is just not practical enough. My cousin's family is now smaller than before, but he plans to upgrade from old Ertiga to a new MPV (Marazzo, new Ertiga or Innova Crysta). I do like a few 7 seater SUVs but in SUV form-factor, the third row is mostly unusable (unless you buy a gigantic SUV).

Related thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...packaging.html (Modern SUVs : Spare wheel placement & interior / mechanical packaging)

ET article on MPV sales boom:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67238644.cms

MPVs are back! Sales zoom, 6 new launches expected-master.jpg

New York Times article on MPVs: You Don’t Drive a Minivan? You Should. Here’s Why.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/b...a-minivan.html

Quote:
But whether you’ve outgrown your youthful dalliances with high-maintenance coupes or you’ve always been a practical-minded hatchback owner who is now ready for true commitment, a minivan might be the ultimate symbol of adulthood. And let me tell you, as a guy who drives nearly 100 different vehicles a year, I’ll testify that minivans are magical for simplifying life.
Quote:
Despite their mom-mobile reputation, minivans actually draw more dads. “Men buy 60 percent of them,” said Steve Beahm, head of passenger car brands at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. Vans are underrated haulers, capable of swallowing full sheets of building material or giant 70-inch television impulse buys.
Quote:
“It drives like a regular car,” she said. “I know minivans have a bad rap, but it drives very well — kind of sporty, actually.” It’s no Porsche, but then again neither are SUVs and crossovers. Unless you’re buying an actual Porsche, it’s probably not worth worrying about
Quote:
Minivans might not be the hottest thing on the road, but maturity is sexy, too. Don’t think so? There’s nothing like a van full of kids to demonstrate a healthy love life — and true commitment.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th December 2018 at 11:12.
SmartCat is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 11:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: MPVs are back! Sales zoom, 6 new launches expected

I believe a major chunk of these will be for the commercial segments which are used by Taxi operators. A 7 seating Taxi is always in demand for long travels by family's who don't own a car or own a smaller vehicle.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 11:32   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I believe a major chunk of these will be for the commercial segments which are used by Taxi operators. A 7 seating Taxi is always in demand for long travels by family's who don't own a car or own a smaller vehicle.
Sure, but MPV segment was shrinking till recently. Taxi operators were always around, it is not something new. What's new is that private buyers have lots of MPV options now:

- Rs. 8 Lakhs to Rs. 25 Lakhs price range
- Diesel and petrol AT options
- 4WD option if you classify Hexa as MPV (since it is based on Aria)
- Long feature list (just like vehicles in hatchback, sedan or SUV segment)
- Almost all new gen MPVs are nice to drive and handle well (going by reviews)
- All MPVs now have car or SUV-like interior quality.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th December 2018 at 11:34.
SmartCat is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 11:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Sailing on the same boat as you smartcat.

First I would say I will never go for a sedan due to the seating position and my height and now I know I won't even think anything less than 7 seats. The immense practicality and flexibility that the MPVs offer makes them a popular choice. And I would still ferry the 3rd row passengers with compromised leg room but facing front than make them sit sideways and brush their knees. More than anything else, they are affordable too and give worthy bang for your bucks spent on it.

There are so many examples within my own family where the 3rd row came as rescue not just for quick visit to the mall or a relative's place but also for trips over a distance of 500 to 600 kms a day. On many occasions it eliminated the need for taking out another car and just one was sufficient. Whenever my sisters are in town during summer or winter holidays all of us including their kids and mine travel together. There is a friend of mine in my apartment with who we regularly head out of dinner away from the city and both couple and our kids (3) peacefully travel in one car talking and laughing throughout the journey. Now we intend to go for an overnighter too.

I wished for more leg room(3rd row) and better boot and that is somewhat addressed now in most MPVs including the new Ertiga. There is no doubt that my next pick also would be an MPV for all these reasons and many more use cases where they fit perfectly.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th December 2018 at 11:36.
paragsachania is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 12:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I've also gone beyond the 5 seat threshold and my TUV 300 is mostly at full capacity on family trips. But the kids in the joint family are bound to grow even more...pretty soon even a Marazzo won't be enough for us.

Living in the US, it was possible for groups of friends and families to rent out a minivan with 7/8 seats, or we could rent out bigger 12 or 15 seater vans. No sweat. We all drove them safely like a natural.

Ever since Gadkari's MORTH made a commercial driving license unnecessary in India for driving sub 7 tonne vehicles (private/commercial usage), I've had the expectation that someone will step up and start renting out Tempo Travelers for 'private' driving license holders to drive. I won't lie - I even harbor the idea of owning a Tempo Traveler for occasional use in the family (what? don't laugh, it's just a thought. Think about it; it is certainly possible now..)
locusjag is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 12:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Sure, but MPV segment was shrinking till recently. Taxi operators were always around, it is not something new. What's new is that private buyers have lots of MPV options now:

- Rs. 8 Lakhs to Rs. 25 Lakhs price range
- Diesel and petrol AT options
- 4WD option if you classify Hexa as MPV (since it is based on Aria)
- Long feature list (just like vehicles in hatchback, sedan or SUV segment)
Absolutely spot on. The taxi segment was always there and cannot account for this surge in demand. For the private car buyer, earlier it was only a handful of options to choose from. The multiple options across all price brackets combined with engine and transmission options, features etc means that as a practical car for a regular Indian household, nothing beats a MPV.

I recently TD the new Ertiga and came out highly impressed. Priced very sensibly, loaded with all the necessary features in keeping with the times and offers more space and flexibility while offering both petrol and diesel engines along with an AT transmission.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 14:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
....I won't lie - I even harbor the idea of owning a Tempo Traveler for occasional use in the family (what? don't laugh, it's just a thought. Think about it; it is certainly possible now..)
Hahaha, you are not alone locusjag. Not alone. I myself have that thought at times due to the sheer utility of the said vehicle. It gives you seating for 17 people (at max) or for 10+ folks and their luggage in one vehicle. Modern examples have good AC and headroom too. The only issue is the ride quality but I am sure with time even that will progress to better levels.

There is a reason why Toyota Hi-Ace sells for both - private and commercial use, in many South Asian markets. Let us hope KIA will give us a high quality MPV soon
sunilch is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 14:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Correct, in my office, 3 out 5 guys have opted to go for an MPV, 2 Ertigas and 1 Innova, other guys went with SUV when they got a chance to upgrade. Most of them upgraded from Sedans. Growing Kids, travelling with Parents/ family and long-distance travel a reality, many guys are choosing this over sedans. MUV's mostly offers a higher riding position and most benefits of SUV at much lower costs (relatively say Innova over Fortuner)

Quote:
Rs. 8 Lakhs to Rs. 25 Lakhs price range
You will need to update it significantly, and I agree with Androdev, this can be a hit like corporates or HNI.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...0-lakhs-3.html (Mercedes Viano launched at 60 lakhs +)

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th December 2018 at 14:32.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 19:17   #9
BHPian

MPVs have a growing demand especially for Indian culture. We have functions on every occasion and often need a people mover. If there are two kids, safety seats will occupy the whole rear. Any additional person/luggage to carry isn’t comfortable.

Similar to MPVs, there is another segment very popular in Europe To cater to people with kids, the STATION WAGON. Unfortunately it hasn’t been successful yet in our market. I’m not a big fan of the looks of MPVs or the Station wagons, but some are exceptional. For example, the new Innova and the upcoming Corolla touring sport are great lookers.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 25th December 2018 at 19:22.
Thermodynamics is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 19:27   #10
BHPian

Was checking out an interesting blog on vehicles people hold onto the longest -

Quote:
Among the list of cars original owners keep the longest before selling are three seven-seat SUVs: Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Sequoia and Ford Expedition. “These vehicles tend to log high miles and take a beating. Parents who keep these cars longer probably aren’t ready to replace them until their kids get older and they know their new car won’t get destroyed,
In the Indian market, the MUV must be serving that need. Certainly among the most practical and purposeful vehicles overall.
Miyata is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 11:36   #11
BHPian

There will be a premium MPV hitting the roads soon too.
If rumours are to be believed, Merc may launch the V-class in India. Now that will be a proper upgrade for people looking to move on from the Innova. Owners won't need to cross-shop to a big SUV (Toyota LC) any more.

Hopefully we get more options for station wagons too now. Nothing beats a SW in terms of practicality without a compromise on drivability.
veedub89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 11:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a big fan of 7 seater MPV's. The added seats even if good enough to seat kids is a huge advantage. Also, unlike full fledged 7 seater SUV's, MUV's still retain that compactness which is what makes them quite practical also.

For me, I would love to buy something like the Kodiaq which I feel has a good balance between SUV and MUV characteristics. Looking forward to more such launches especially lower down the price spectrum.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 12:12   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There is a surge in demand, yes, but that's almost entirely due to two very important products being launched in end-2018. The Ertiga & Marazzo! Both are fantastic all-rounders (especially the Marazzo) and have rejuvenated interest in the segment. However, if you look at sales of the definitive MPV in India - the Innova - there's been no major movement.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever buy an MPV (only exception = as the family beater car). Looks are very important to me and almost all MPVs are plain ugly. If I needed a 7-seater, I'd either rent or buy an SUV.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 12:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would term a 7 seater MPV as a super spacious 5 seater. Before buying the S-Cross, I did consider the Ertiga for the simple reason, the rear seats were simply spacious for my aged parents and on top of that the cabin was quite roomy with roof mounted AC. The only setback was the beige Interiors due to which I had to cancel the Ertiga. The other contender was the Crysta but it wasn't launched at that time sadly.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 12:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is certainly a good news! Renault still hasn't given up on the MPV segment and with this news and the news of RBC with an AMT, they have good chances of cracking the segment this time.

Perhaps, time for Hyundai to reconsider entering the MPV segment Something new for the 2020 auto expo.
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks