Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2018, 07:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Mercedes Viano launched at 60 lakhs +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Let’s be realistic, highly unlikely many would take on this multi fold ordeal. Most would go plonk their 20 lakhs in a one stop shop- the toyota dealer to buy an innova
The Innova is an 8 seater at best. We are talking of a slightly larger vehicle capable of seating 10 to 11 people plus the driver.

And no, its not really an ordeal. This will be a well thought out decision and spending a month or 2 to modify the van to your needs shouldn't be an issue.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 11:40   #32
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Wonder, if these 10/11 seaters can be registered for private use. The Force Traveller (Tempo Traveller) was once (and still is) based on the Mercedes Benz TN and almost an exact copy. Buy a Traveller 3050, get it remapped, get better tyres and give it to someone to transform it, like DC. Won't cost you more than 20 lakhs. Who needs a Viano? It still comes with a Mercedes Benz engine.
The Force Traveller has a really bad ride. Too hard to be considered for luxury application.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 12:00   #33

I would be in for sure. I have been waiting for an Toyota alphard or equivalent since some time now.

We are a family of 5 ( me, my wife , my parents + infant in a car seat ). Not an uncommon family set up around where I am. We all manage relatively well, in my laura only till the time my sister comes in for her yearly, 2 month trip to India with her 2 adolescent kids. Then we are ferrying everywhere with 2 cars and its no fun.

I have been unable to convince my self to put 20+ big ones on an Innova. Because it still wouldn't solve the problem for me.

A Toyota Alphard or equivalent would be super.
Old 21st September 2018, 12:46   #34
BHPian

Mercedes plans to drive V-Class vans into India

Mercedes Viano launched at 60 lakhs +-mercedesbenzvklassegrossraumlimousineproduktseite011280x686.jpg

Quote:
The move coming at a time when the government has allowed import of 2,500 vehicles per manufacturer without homologation or local road worthiness certification

The van, which will carry cumulative duties of around 180% (including import), is likely to be priced over the Rs 60 lakh mark when it gets launched
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65889579.cms
SandyX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 18:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambi View Post
I would be in for sure. I have been waiting for an
A Toyota Alphard or equivalent would be super.
Toyota Alphard somehow looks wacky (not to offend anyone)
I've come across reviews with a dislike for the Lexus Grille, this one has the same design.

Considering the mixed responses here, I am curious to know What will be an acceptable price for a MPV bigger than Innova with >8 seats (reference image)
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Viano launched at 60 lakhs +-11-seater.jpg  

FIAT3031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 21:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Force Traveller (Tempo Traveller) was once (and still is) based on the Mercedes Benz TN and almost an exact copy. ..
It is a licensed re-use/remake of the Mercedes Tourer

Quote:
...It still comes with a Mercedes Benz engine.
Tell me you are joking, right?!!

It is "derived from"/"based on" an out-dated Mercedes engine. That is one ocean of a difference from an actual Mercedes Benz engine. Maybe the CR V-16 is the better among the lot, I still havent 'heard' or test-driven the latest OM-611 based engine (the 140BHP variant newly available on the Force Gurkha), but all said and done, the Force derivation of the Mercedes Benz engines is never going to be anywhere near the original Mercedes Benz engine in terms of refinement (NVH).

Force Motors and Mercedes Benz engines

Only the engine used in the Matador van F-307 was the OM 616 as is ( meaning, the original Mercedes Benz engine). I simply loved that engine note. It was super smooth, and very silent/vibration-free compared to the other diesel engines available at that time.

Later on, due to the emission norms compliance requirements, they had to make changes to the same engine. From super-smooth IDI engine to a loud/noisy DI engine, then later DI turbo, and now the CRDe...all probably based on the same OM616 block. While making these changes they simply neglected the NVH criteria ( since it is a high-cost issue, but low value, in their opinion ).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 21st September 2018 at 21:23.
Old 21st September 2018, 22:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
It is a licensed re-use/remake of the Mercedes Tourer
Tell me you are joking, right?!!
It is "derived from"/"based on" an out-dated Mercedes engine.
Agreed. But I wasn't joking either. We are talking of a segment absolutely unheard of in India. Not many, including the richie rich would plonk 60 lakhs (probably 70 on road) on a 'van' and whatever small numbers are imported will probably find its way to hotels and high end tour operators. I mean, I don't see the people who can afford it, buying it to use it as personal transport.Their needs are absolutely different.

However, there are others, who cannot afford to plonk 70 big ones on a van, but would surely love to have a vehicle that can seat about 10 to 12 people for personal touring and register it for private use. For them, the Traveller makes the ideal choice. Outdated they may be, but they are quite rugged and reliable. Ask any tour operator. With an engine remap, suspension upgrade, some amount of sound deadening and a well spruced up interior from a reputed firm like DC, the Traveller can be transformed to something desirable at 1/3rd the cost of the Merc V series.

They cannot do it now because our laws don't allow a Traveller to be registered for private use.

Something like the Toyota Commuter, if priced around 30 lakhs, could find a few takers in the private segment.

Last edited by SCORPION : 21st September 2018 at 22:02.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 17:48   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI feature

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ry-2019-410728
Old 9th December 2018, 21:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
I for one would immediately get this one if they do price it around 60-70L. I'm on my 4th Innova in 10 years and all have done about 2L kms each before being sold. The one I have currently has 1.6L kms on the odo as we speak and is just completing it's 3rd year. There just isn't an option out there to compete with the Innova.
We're on our second Innova as well. And it has already crossed 1lac kms in 3 years. After the first Innova we upgraded to the MB GL350D. While the ride was superb, the maintenance costs were astronomical. The GL now sits as a garage queen, having crossed 1lac kms itself, and has passed on the mantle to the new Innova Crysta. There was just nothing else on the market as practical, comfortable and luxurious as the Innova. Going from the GL to the Crysta doesn't feel too much of a downgrade to be honest.

And I feel the V-class would be no better. The Germans simply cost too much to maintain especially if you're running 3-5k kms a month, for years. A regular service on the GL is atleast 50k, while on the crysta it is 15k give or take. At the same time, the ride is atleast 80% as good as the merc.

Last edited by ashwin1224 : 9th December 2018 at 21:03.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 21:12   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

This might turn out to be a much more relevant launch compared to the many name-sake launches by MB India. It would be great if they offer variation in seating arrangement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks