Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2007, 14:31   #16
BHPian

My friend has a Accent and a Ikon and he thinks Ikon is a much better car and cost of maintenance is less than half of accent. He says accent seems to fall apart after 4-5 yrs.

Another instance where my uncles carolla is much more fuel efficient than his santro.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Dunno abt other hyundai cars but a Santro does age better than other cars in its class, especially maruti's... Palio excluded, its not in the same class excpet for the price.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

It depends on how the car is driven and maintained. There are two Santro cars in our company, both done 80K + kms (1999 models) . One was in perfect shape & the other was recently sold off, which has dents all over the body, weak suspension, A/c problem, clutch issue etc. I prefer to take the Santro keys, which is in great shape for shorter drives over Swift. Don't know why, but I like it.

Hyudai will last long (if maintainted properly).
Old 16th January 2007, 14:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
My friend has a Accent and a Ikon and he thinks Ikon is a much better car and cost of maintenance is less than half of accent. He says accent seems to fall apart after 4-5 yrs.

Another instance where my uncles carolla is much more fuel efficient than his santro.
Whoa..!!! You are gonna face a barrage of questions coz u mentioned a Ford requires less maintenance than an Accent. I would love to recieve some more inputs on this, please...
Old 16th January 2007, 14:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Have you considered the possibility of these two cars being lemons (bad pieces) ?
Certainly not for the accent. It was earlier used by company CEO for 4.5 years.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:40   #21
BHPian

any idea on percentage diff in mtce costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know someone who bought an Accent around the same time that I bought my Vtec. Its been three years since and about 50000 kms on either of the cars.

1. In terms of parts failure, both the cars have had no major replacements.

2. The Accent has aged a LOT better externally. My Vtec (due to extremely thin sheet metal) has all sorts of dings around it. Too many to count. There was this instance where a fairly huge personality leaned against the side, and caused a deep dent!! Compare that to the Accent which has probably 25% the body damage.

3. The Accent does rattle a lot less. I cant figure out why but Hyundais avoid rattles just like the Europeans.

4. The Accent was more expensive to maintain than my Vtec (in terms of scheduled maintainence costs).

I know that Drifters CRDi is driven mad (speed and mileage) but appears to have held on very well. Ditto for a cousins Santro which has clocked 75000 but was still nice to drive.
Any idea whats the difference in maintenance costs between VTEC and Accent ? BTW is it a CRDI ?
Old 16th January 2007, 14:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Whoa..!!! You are gonna face a barrage of questions coz u mentioned a Ford requires less maintenance than an Accent. I would love to recieve some more inputs on this, please...
This was input from my friend... He is extremly happy with Ford's low maintenance...
Old 16th January 2007, 14:47   #23
BHPian

My Santro

4 years and 58k kms is what is my Zip Plus is all about. Maintanence costs have been very minimal. Am regular as far as it comes to servicing... My Bro at Chennai has a 2000 Santro 1L done about 95k kms driven by all and sundry (the odd jobs everyone at the office uses it car) and still drives like a breeze... Regarding the interiors aging faster or the exteriors I guess we do need to workout on those weekends and spit and polish if you need your car to look good. Bros' 2004 Accent has done about 40K till date and no issues till date regarding maintanence...

Over all I do feel the Hyundais to be Long lasting VFM cars with pretty low maintanence costs.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:27   #24
BHPian

Well my personal observation is that if I compare Maruti and Hyundai 2002 model Santro's built quality looks same as that of 2007. but a 2002 model Alto/wagonR is more superior than the 2007 model alto/wagonR w.r.t. built quality. Hyundai maintains the quality while maruti maintains market share!!
Old 16th January 2007, 16:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

My Accent CRDi has covered close to 84000kms in almost 3 years and it doesn't feel its age at all. Apart from regular servicing, no trouble at all.

Drifter
Old 16th January 2007, 17:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Well my personal observation is that if I compare Maruti and Hyundai 2002 model Santro's built quality looks same as that of 2007. but a 2002 model Alto/wagonR is more superior than the 2007 model alto/wagonR w.r.t. built quality. Hyundai maintains the quality while maruti maintains market share!!
I totally agree with you. We have a 6 years old alto and its built quality is better than my uncles 2 years old alto.
Old 16th January 2007, 17:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I totally agree with you. We have a 6 years old alto and its built quality is better than my uncles 2 years old alto.
Yes even I agree, My dad's 4 year old Alto has better build quality & NVH levels than my 14 months old one.

Btw Hyundai's paint job is way ahead of Maruti & its couterparts. Some say its at par with Mercs
Old 16th January 2007, 17:38   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai-Best A.S.S

I drove a santro for close to 4 years though clocked very less mileage-35K but, when i sold the car, it felt as good as showroom condition, i mean not the exterior but the engine felt so peppy even then, clutch,brakes everything was pristine.

Best part was "no pucture" through out my entire ownership and A.S.S is phenomenal to say the least

In summary, i find their cars build quality,engine quality and parts used on par with the best. If taken care properly, it will last for a really long while.

My cousin drives the second santro car delivered in HYD sometime way back in 98-99 not sure, clocked 1,20,000 kms on that and he still loves his car...that says a lot coming for a guy who is enthusiastic about this cars

Now i drive again a hyundai and see the repeat story in terms of A.S.S- had a small problem with my new car and Hyundai guys are falling over themselves to understand and help me out with the problem. Though the problem is not sorted out yet - probably in my second free service it will be
Old 16th January 2007, 18:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

My brother has a Santro Zip plus (1.1L). Apart from giving dismal FE and rattling, there isnt much wrong with the car. Ofcourse, its serviced regularly, and driven carefully too. However, it seems to make more noise at idle than my 8 year old M800.. dont know why.
Old 16th January 2007, 18:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post

wow! thats something! thanks for passing the message

painting at a Hyundai centre is costly. If I remember right, I was quoted 40k starting for painting a SAntro !!!!

My old Santro lasted 1.1lac, no complaints, gave got kpl even then. The A.S.S. and reliability made me get another Santro or I would have got a Palio 1.6

Last edited by jkdas : 16th January 2007 at 18:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks