Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2019, 13:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvdangi View Post
The only car that has an option for violet colour from the factory is XUV 500, not sure how violet is even a part of that list.
I guess even Palio had Violet color when it went on sale.
Old 19th January 2019, 13:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
love to see them in black and black only.
With you - and not just for my cars, even my XUV5OO is black - the most recent addition that's succeeded Indica DLX (2005), Getz CRDi (2009), and Verna CRDi (2013), all were BLACK! I didn't even consider the Hexa because of the lack of black

The market share of black is in spite of Maruti and Tata not having black as a colour option - and that's like 65% of all passenger cars sold. Reasons, they may have - low demand, gets hot, maybe even low resale (not from my experience, though) - but there's no other colour that stands out after a wash and wax!
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 14:31   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I am not sure but doesn't Linea as well come in violet or in a color something like violet?

Last edited by amitjha086 : 20th January 2019 at 14:41.
Old 22nd January 2019, 16:06   #49
BHPian

Researchers over the years are trying to identify a linkage between colors and human personality. Is it because of our personality disposition that we choose products (cars) of certain colors?

I did browse through internet and came across some interesting findings like for example our brains are pre-programmed to identify certain colors. They are also trying to find a linkage between colors and how they shape our emotions. This definitely should have helped our ancestors in old days to identify threats and avoid those objects. For example some of the most poisonous insects and animals (snakes and frogs) have very dark colors. Similarly green and blue associated with trees or sky may have given then indication about safety of certain objects and I believe over a period of time these colors got associated with life and calmness.

Researcher also say that colors and emotions are also culture dependent. For example white color in US has different connotation from white color in China. But still there are some core underlying emotions that white evokes like pureness or clean. I think similarly red is considered as a danger across globe and therefore traffic lights across globe use this color to stop traffic.

The role of colors has been identified by marketers and advertisers and therefore they select them very carefully to create those brand personalities, brand image or personas. Here is a link that talks about different colors in creating brand personalities.

Finally, even automobile companies are awakening to it or they probably are already aware of this. I came across this Nissan study which says people in Europe are driving misaligned 'colored cars & their personality. They have their own take on different colors of a car. Even they have a chatbot which can help people to decide their car color. I tried this chatbot but it did not work in my case, possibly some technical issue. But I would certainly like to validate its finding . Possibly our friends in Europe/UK can try out this chatbot and share their results.

Very soon we'll be able to select cars that perfectly align to our personality and give utmost satisfaction in our purchases.

Thanks.. Vikas
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 16:29   #50
BHPian

Re: Colour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?

Midsize category:-

Attachment 1837758

Noticed here that the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz comes in each of the top 7 listed colors!

White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-ciaz.jpg
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 18:25   #51
BHPian

Midsize cars have a black % of 18%, whereas for other segments its either 1% or 4%. That's a significant outlier... I wonder why.

Also, blue gets slightly higher representation in midsize as compared to other segments.
Old 26th January 2019, 23:02   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Even the Fiesta, Verna & Civic were available in Violet, not sure but the Indigo Manza was also available in the same.

Last edited by YashD : 26th January 2019 at 23:11. Reason: Added Indigo Manza
Old 28th January 2019, 21:05   #53
BHPian

I remember the old Maruti ALTO initially came in black. My sister-in-law chose that and we all booed her so badly that she soon got it repainted, and Maruti-Suzuki also discontinued it !
Small cars do not look good in black at all -- requires at least something of the size of Scorpio to carry it off well. Old Ambassadors used to look good in black -- senior army officers favoured that.
But black must be spotlessly clean, dust and scratch free to look good. Even then, it is not practical in most of the hot plains of India, I feel.

White will be the largest segment, as it is the standard colour of government cars, plus that of app-cabs, luxury taxis etc. Most personal car owners will go for any other colour, as white is difficult to keep clean, and will not stay white for long. Most Gypsy owners do not have that choice, though Gypsy officially is available in five shades -- white, olive green, red, blue, and metallic silver !

Last edited by SnakemanJohny : 28th January 2019 at 21:06. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 18th March 2019, 23:00   #54
BHPian

Why are white and silver so popular as colors in India?

In the mid 2000s, it was silver/silver grey, and now it's white. Every other car, especially the big SUVs and 30L + heavies - all as white as your regular taxi cab.
Utterly bland, boring and uninspiring if you ask me.
I once saw a white Porsche in Delhi that was not the utterly commonplace Cayenne or Panamera - it was a proper sports car - but almost missed seeing it surrounded by various white cabs.
Even older cars, especially the Maruti 800 - came in such a wide variety of colors. The 800 itself, I recall seeing in chocolate brown, beige, cream, military green, fluorescent green, indigo, sky blue, royal blue..
And let's not forget older cars from the 50s - beautiful lime green Ambassadors come to mind.
But now it's all white regardless of whether it's an Alto or a luxury sedan because 'resale value'!!

/end rant
Detritus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 07:40   #55
BHPian

Re: Why are white and silver so popular as colors in India?

Some of the big cars/SUVs really looks good in white, especially the Forturner and Harrier.

One of the reasons cited by a private buyer is safety. A white/ Silver car is relatively easy to locate in the night in low lights.
Old 19th March 2019, 08:33   #56
BHPian

This was a rationale once heard. Have always pondered if with headlights and tail lights if this really matters. It is easier to spot a white/silver car at night than a darker shaded one hence avoiding accidents.

White too needs maintenance as not just scratches but dust too shows up albeit lesser problem than a dark shade like black. Its on the silver that I think dust and and smaller scratches are difficult to spot.
Old 19th March 2019, 10:29   #57
Senior - BHPian

I have often heard the argument from friends that the white and silver colours mask scratches and dents easier than darker colour. To my eyes, the contrary seems to be true. White cars will easily show mud splashes and scratches simply because any mark on a white surface will obviously be the most contrasted and therefore, easily visible.

Nevertheless, I suppose white is the safest colour choice offending none and also ensuring better resale since used market customers are also happy with white cars. Darker colours are more rewarding in terms of looks provided that the owner is ready to maintain it with the occasional policing and detailing session.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 10:43   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I have often heard the argument from friends that the white and silver colours mask scratches and dents easier than darker colour. To my eyes, the contrary seems to be true. White cars will easily show mud splashes and scratches simply because any mark on a white surface will obviously be the most contrasted and therefore, easily visible.
I think your friends are correct. I have a black Honda City and my brother has a white Swift. Scratches and even mud splashes are easily visible on my car when compared to my brothers car. When a panel is scratched the underlying colour of the metal (silver/whitish) is extremely visible on black just like a white chalk on a black board. The only drawback of white colour is sometimes it becomes yellowish on some of the cars down the line. In my opinion, silver is the safest colour with my experience with my brother-in-law’s silver Honda City.
Old 24th March 2020, 12:55   #59
BANNED

2019 numbers are here. Looks like not much's changed.

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...ing-basf-55810
Old 24th March 2020, 14:14   #60
BHPian

I wanted my Brezza to be in white color but in January none of the showrooms had white in any variant (automatic). After a couple of days they said that they have a white in VDI AGS. I would've gone for it but it felt way too under equipped. I settled for the next best color (to me), granite grey in the ZDI AGS trim. After the invoice was done another dealership calls saying that they have a white ZDI+ AGS. Nothing could be done and I took delivery of the Grey one. But now I'm extremely happy with Grey and I like it more than the white one which my neighbor has .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks