Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2019, 12:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! ABS made standard across all Tiago & Tigor variants

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Scoop! ABS made standard across all Tiago & Tigor variants-tatazica02.jpg

Tata Motors has started offering ABS as a part of standard equipment across all variants of the Tiago and Tigor manufactured from January 2019. This could be one of the reasons why prices of the cars were hiked earlier this month. The company is yet to make a formal announcement regarding this feature addition.

Scoop! ABS made standard across all Tiago & Tigor variants-2017tatatigor07.jpg

Until recently, ABS, EBD and Corner Stability Control were only offered on the XZ, XZA and XZ+ variants of the Tiago and Tigor. But, with new regulations set to come into effect from April 2019, safety features such a ABS, rear parking sensors, airbags and speed alerts are expected to be offered on all variants of both models.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 12:42   #2
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! ABS made standard across all Tiago & Tigor variants

I can't believe that I am saying this but kudos to Maruti for bringing about a change in other manufacturers. This is a direct result of the airbags and ABS being standard in all B-2 segment and above Marutis and optional in the lower segments(not counting the ancient yet still selling Marutis and the A segment). It is actually possible to get yourself an LXI WagonR without power windows but dual airbags and ABS by opting for the optional variant. This decision from TATA may have been expected from quite a while, but the WagonR's launch with the optional variants has surely acted as a catalyst.
Some might say that it is actually a result of the upcoming safety norms but due to Marutis pro-activeness, the others manufacturers are being forced to bring in these features earlier than expected.

While we do dislike Maruti for its average build and questionable body structure for India specific cars, their recent efforts to make ABS and airbags either standard or optional needs to be applauded. Hyundai, are you listening?

Last edited by AYP : 24th January 2019 at 12:43.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 13:37   #3
BHPian

And Maruti did that because regulations coming in near future forced them to do so.
S.MJet is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:04   #4
BHPian

All,
That is indeed a step in the right direction.
Digressing a bit, but my honest opinion government should be making rear wiper washer and defroster as a mandatory safety feature instead of rear parking sensor.
It will add to cost but will be a worthwhile addition.
Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:14   #5
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
And Maruti did that because regulations coming in near future forced them to do so.
They started doing it with more than enough time on their hands, while others are slowly playing the catch up game.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 22:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I can't believe that I am saying this but kudos to Maruti for bringing about a change in other manufacturers
Beg to differ here!

It was Honda who brought the concept of ABS & Dual Airbags standard across all variants with the First Gen Jazz! Unfortunately, the market wasn't mature enough then and the public wasn't willing to pay the extra dough for safety back then. The Jazz became a sales dud, lack of diesel didn't help it's case either. Prices were aggressively slashed subsequently, but the Jazz never took off the way it deserved to!
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! ABS made standard across all Tiago & Tigor variants-psx_20190124_225013.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 23:29   #7
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Beg to differ here!

It was Honda who brought the concept of ABS & Dual Airbags standard across all variants with the First Gen Jazz! Unfortunately, the market wasn't mature enough then and the public wasn't willing to pay the extra dough for safety back then. The Jazz became a sales dud, lack of diesel didn't help it's case either. Prices were aggressively slashed subsequently, but the Jazz never took off the way it deserved to!
Honda, Toyota and VW have taken similar steps but their collective sales numbers are too less to really force the other manufacturers into following suit. And thus, I do appreciate Maruti for deciding to give a higher priority to safety, not that I don't appreciate the before mentioned 3 brands.

And I would put Honda at the bottom of the trio. The step which Honda took of offering ABS and dual airbags standard on the previous Jazz was almost 10 years ago. The new Jazz wasn't launched with ABS as standard on lower petrol variants, the Amaze continued not having dual ABS and airbags in the lower trims(until the new gen was launched) and the Brio only had them in the top end variant. Whereas VW and the Toyota made ABS and airbags standard in their cars in 2016.

Last edited by AYP : 24th January 2019 at 23:38.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 23:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is actually possible to get yourself an LXI WagonR without power windows but dual airbags and ABS by opting for the optional variant. This decision from TATA may have been expected from quite a while, but the WagonR's launch with the optional variants has surely acted as a catalyst.
Some might say that it is actually a result of the upcoming safety norms but due to Marutis pro-activeness, the others manufacturers are being forced to bring in these features earlier than expected.
While it is easy to opt for the Optional variants of Maruti models, it is equally difficult to get the delivery of such a variant. In most cases, the dealers almost literally force you to go for normal variant. If and only if Maruti has made it standard across all variants then they deserve some credit. Else due credit goes to companies who have or are making it standard.
ashis89 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 23:48   #9
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
While it is easy to opt for the Optional variants of Maruti models, it is equally difficult to get the delivery of such a variant..
Difficult yet possible. Can't deny that.

Quote:
If and only if Maruti has made it standard across all variants then they deserve some credit.
If and only if the other manufacturers who have made them standard in all their cars had a presence in the A and B1 segment, could we have compared these manufacturers to Maruti as a company. Kudos to Maruti for offering them as standard in the B-2 segment and above.

Quote:
due credit goes to companies who have or are making it standard.
I really applaud the companies who have taken such a step.

Last edited by AYP : 24th January 2019 at 23:50.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 09:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

If they make Airbags as standard too, then Tiago XE would be the most VFM car in the market, from an informed buyer's perspective! No other car matches its solid feel and top end has few minor but irritating niggles, which base variant will not have.
giri1.8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 17:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
And I would put Honda at the bottom of the trio. The step which Honda took of offering ABS and dual airbags standard on the previous Jazz was almost 10 years ago. The new Jazz wasn't launched with ABS as standard on lower petrol variants, the Amaze continued not having dual ABS and airbags in the lower trims and the Brio only had them in the top end variant. Whereas VW and the Toyota made ABS and airbags standard in their cars in 2016.
Well, who is to blame for Honda taking a step backwards from the Jazz? The Indian Consumer!! Why would Honda continue selling Amazes and Brios with Airbags & ABS when all the car buyers were flocking Maruti showrooms for their cheaper and less safe cars?!

Had Maruti made Airbags & ABS Standard across all variants, they'd have my respect!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 17:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
While it is easy to opt for the Optional variants of Maruti models, it is equally difficult to get the delivery of such a variant. In most cases, the dealers almost literally force you to go for normal variant. If and only if Maruti has made it standard across all variants then they deserve some credit. Else due credit goes to companies who have or are making it standard.
+1

I remember buying my Swift almost 3 years ago. I wanted to go for Vxi(O) but the dealer cited a waiting period of atleast 3 months. At the same time the waiting period of Vxi was 20-25 days. Even though I wanted the (O) variant, after waiting for 45 days I had to settle for the the non-ABS, non-airbags variant.

Completely my fault but that is how it used to work with Maruti.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 09:19   #13
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, who is to blame for Honda taking a step backwards from the Jazz? The Indian Consumer!! Why would Honda continue selling Amazes and Brios with Airbags & ABS when all the car buyers were flocking Maruti showrooms for their cheaper and less safe cars?!
Well, it's a vicious cycle right? While I agree with you, but since I am a consumer and not the manufacturer, I am going to give them a thumbs down for taking away the safety features from the lower variants of the Jazz and for not offering them at least as an option throughout the range in the Brio and the Amaze, especially when Maruti was launching all their new products with ABS and dual airbags(since 2014) as standard or optional(for the lower segments) and when VW and Toyota made them standard in 2016.

Quote:
Had Maruti made Airbags & ABS Standard across all variants, they'd have my respect!
That would have made me respect them even more. But I still appreciate them for making dual ABS and airbags available except for a majority of their offerings except for the Alto and the other older utility Marutis.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 09:33   #14
BANNED

Quote:

Let’s imagine Maruti have made Airbags and ABS standard across all variants for all the cars. What would be the outcome of it? As some one mentioned before, non-Nexa cars have a compromised structure in the name of (partial) HEARTECT platform. ABS would help as designed, but airbags??!!. I would respect them when they start to build a proper non-Nexa car or in other words make a car like other manufacturers in the area of safety. But nothing is going to change, the 2 star swift crash test thread is as good as dead now, but at the same time in the new Ertiga and new Swift thread people are going ga ga over the features and the flat bottom steering wheel. Even people are booking cars in large numbers. Comments on safety goes unnoticed only in Maruti car threads is what I have noticed in team-bhp.

Last edited by pavi : 26th January 2019 at 09:35.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 01:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Tata have officially updated the brochure of the Tiago to include standard ABS with EBD and CSC in all variants, right from the base XE, and Dual Airbags along with Front Seatbelts Pretensioners and Driver Seatbelt Reminder in Optional variants of lower variants.
* But the optional variants are only for Manual Transmission cars, and not the AMT variants, as per the brochure.

Also, if I remember correctly, earlier the Optional variants got Dual Airbags, Front Seatbelts Pretensioners, Driver Seat Height Adjustment and Adjustable Front Seat Headrests, but now only the former 2 are available in the optional variants, and the latter 2 are available only from XZ variant.

Attaching the new updated brochure and price list (ex-showroom Delhi) below:-

Scoop! ABS made standard across all Tiago & Tigor variants-screenshot_20190127011539092_com.android.chrome.png

Scoop! ABS made standard across all Tiago & Tigor variants-screenshot_20190127010755524_com.android.chrome.png

Scoop! ABS made standard across all Tiago & Tigor variants-screenshot_20190127010730873_com.android.chrome.png

P.S. - Kindly note that at the time of this update, the Tigor brochure was still not updated about ABS etc. being part of standard fitment, and so no update has been posted about the Tigor here!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brochure (4).pdf (2.70 MB, 261 views)
AdityaDeane is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks