Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Corolla Altis to face the axe in India

Toyota will retire its Corolla Altis executive sedan in the Indian market once the BS-VI emission norms kick in on April 1, 2020.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-india-412836
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 17:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis to face the axe in India

I think the D segment in itself would cease to exist in the coming years. They have just outpriced themselves from the market in the last few years. At the same time the C+ segment has become bigger, better and more feature loaded. And then there is the continuous onslaught of the CSUVs. On the other end of the spectrum, healthy discounts on the entry lever luxury brands ensure that the price difference between them and a regular D segment car is small enough for buyers to make that jump.

Having said that, it is sad to see an iconic car going off the shelves. I have been using the Altis, that too in the more hated diesel variant, and it has stayed true to its strength in all these years and still going strong.

What happened to the rumours of a Maruti Altis coming up? Is that still on or that would too end with this news?
Old 23rd May 2019, 17:44   #18
BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis to face the axe in India

This is a sad news, I still own one from the first batches of Altis released way back in Oct 2008 and at that time, it was feature loaded and very comfortable, spacious and a true workhorse. Its done arnd 1.5L and still on original clutch and only gone through normal routine services and replacement of wear and tear parts, nothing else (touch wood).

Really unapologetic for Toyota to go this path specially when worldwide they have released an updated 2020 Corolla.
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: No plans to upgrade the Toyota Corolla to BS-VI norms

With the market being fascinated with over sized hatchbacks in the guise of false SUV's Toyota may not see it much of a bargain to let the Corolla run in India. The market for those beautiful sedans is diminishing not just in India but also elsewhere in the world. I would prefer one of these to those jacked up bloated hatchbacks any day.
Old 23rd May 2019, 19:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

On one hand they launched the new Camry here, that too assembled locally, while on the other hand they are just going to stop the Corolla because of the shrinking segment?

That too being the number one seller in the segment, despite being the oldest model. The Corolla would have been the perfect compromise for Toyota to kick-start hybrid adaption since its kinda affordable, yet gives healthy margins.

For a business case, they should have ideally brought the CH-R, Rush or RAV4, if they were worried that C/SUVs were eating into the D segment.

Only thing in the pipeline is the bodge exercise Brezza and the planned MUV being developed by both Maruti and Toyota.

Why TKM WHY!!
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 20:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is looking to give Honda Civic a chance maintain the sales numbers, once Corolla goes out of the picture, Elantra and Civic would be the only reliable (read safe) option available in this segment.

Corolla could do well with US spec Hybrid model, with Diesel cars going out of production or having hefty price hike for BS6, many would love a Hybrid option.
Old 24th May 2019, 03:51   #22
BHPian

I am not understanding what's Toyota trying to do in the Indian car market. It almost feels like they've lost the plot altogether.
Their first mistake was launching the Etios twins and from then there's no stopping.
The Altis does everything it's meant to do with utmost perfection.
After using cars from much above the segments, I still don't feel, you can get a more comfortable sedan than an Altis if you're Chauffeur driven.
I still feel this segment is extremely relevant to plenty of buyers. If truth be told, I don't see any proper UV in and around the 20 Lakh mark and that's where cars like these shine.
You don't want a Creta or a Compass spending almost 20 bigs ones! With a couple of lakhs more you can get one these D Segment rides.
Regarding the discounts in the upper segment, they still are almost 4-5 lakhs more than these vehicles and that's not a small amount. For e.g I recently enquired for the Skoda Octavia and Superb. After discounts, the Superb was almost 38 Lakhs on-road Bangalore whereas I was getting the top end Octavia after discounts for 29 - 30 Lakhs. That's a steep difference!
Toyota is actually killing itself, on one hand they're ruining their image by badge engineering, on the other hand, they have their own range of cost cutting products. Then Yaris is extremely overpriced. Let's not talk about Innova and Fortuner. The Camry hardly has any takers, from what I can see, Toyota is trying different ways to commit suicide. For me, after this badge engineering fiasco along with discontinuation of Altis, Toyota isn't a premium manufacturer. They should actually plan an exit strategy now as the company has become a joker in the Industry now with their poor line up and extremely laid back efforts, treating India as a Third World Country whereas more and more manufacturers are trying to enter the market to capture a chunk of this growing industry.
I have massive respect for Hyundai here, I don't feel ny manufacturer has understood the Indian Car market as well as HMIL.
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 20:21   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

New Gen Toyota Corolla to return as a test vehicle for Flex Fuel in India.

Unveiling on 28th Sept.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks