Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2019, 14:24   #46
BHPian

Re: When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model

In addition to the other cars, I'd like to nominate the Range Rover. The previous generation was classy and full of character where the new one is...well, weird.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-land_rover_range_rover_l322_facelift_china_20120805.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-1280pxland_rover_range_rover_autobiography_2016.jpg
(Source: Wikimedia Commons)
porsche_guy is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 14:26   #47
BHPian

+1 to the old gen Figo. The precise steering, amazing handling for car of that dimension and overall solid build is badly missed in new gen figo/aspire/freestyle.

Agreed, it was tad low on power but if you could use her smooth gearbox to good effect, a lot could be extracted. I still have my 2010 figo, thought of selling it at least 3 times and always backed out for lack of a like-for-like option in today's market.
DreamsUnlimited is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 14:34   #48
BHPian

In my view the previous gen Jetta is what I miss the most on roads. It is really hard to differentiate between new gen Jetta and Vento now. The previous one was a notch above both at exterior and interior too in my opinion.

This was a stunner

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-2010_volkswagen_jetta_india.jpg

Not as great to look at

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-volkswagenjettatouchscreenindiae1453657509325.jpg

Last edited by tinnieboy : 14th May 2019 at 14:38.
tinnieboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 14:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Krishna View Post
I find it rather strange that no body has mentioned the Swift Dzire.
I beg to differ here. The first gen Dzire was outright ugly but practical. The 2nd gen was equally ugly and not so practical (small boot). The 3rd gen seems to have got it right. Looks decent enough and is practical too. I had said long back that the original Dzire was the successor to the Ambassador (though GTO said it was the Indigo). Somehow how both these models did not really find favour with the traditional Ambassador buyers. Maybe because the Ambassador was still available. But recently I saw some new Dzires actually replacing the Ambassador that was used for the officers of the Navy.
pedrolourenco is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 14:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
For me, the answer is simple. It's Honda Jazz. I still regret that one month when Jazz's prices were slashed 2 lakhs and I didn't buy it. Then Indonasian floods killed supply for the increased demand, and after a year or so, Honda brought in the new Jazz, which somehow never appealed as the old one did. I still heave a sigh in regret whenever I spot a previous edition Jazz on the road.
On the contrary, I found the new Jazz design more modern and a natural upgrade to the old one, that one had its own charm though. Jazz is one of the best looking and proportionate cars today to my eyes.
gupta_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 15:12   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

My thoughts are a little bit different, so going to stick to those:

1) Fiesta Ikon 1.6 v/s Ford Fiesta 1.6: Though both were fantastic to drive, the 1.6 Ikon was just that much more special during it's time as a driver's car with a beautiful engine that made a world of a difference.

2) BMW Exx v/s Fxx - Looks aside, the E60/90 etc. were far better drivers cars than the F10/F30 that followed. Forget pure performance, but just the way the car behaved. Our E60 525d still impressed me as a drivers car over the F10 530D with it's nicer steering feel and suspension tune. With the Gxx they seem to be getting back into the game.

3) Toyota Corolla: We owned the 2003 model when it just came out, and also picked up a 2017 FL. Sadly, the overall build quality seems to have taken a step down with odd rattles (the empty front passenger seat vibrates on almost every road and is an eye sore). That being said, the 2003 had it's own issues and I personally find the 2008-2013/4 model the nicest in terms of build.
Similarly, have even sat in a few rattly Innova Crysta's, but cannot say the same about the older Innova which was built for abuse.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 15:22   #52
BHPian

Couple from my end. These are between face lifts though.
Attached Thumbnails
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-innova_new.jpg  

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-innova_old.jpg  

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-scorpio_new.jpg  

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-scorpio_old.jpg  

Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 15:45   #53
BHPian

Well for me there is the BMW 7 series E38 to the E65(bangler) these cars were just worlds apart from design to tech.

The design change was horrendous and tech was even worse with engine reliability issues, the idrive system the list can go on. But BMW really messed this one up.

The E38 was such a classic design, it turns heads even today. The last few models had some upgraded tech as well, really a great car. And those dual 5 spoke wheels made it look the perfect sleeper car.

Last edited by TCS66SPDLSD : 14th May 2019 at 16:07.
TCS66SPDLSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 17:18   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
For me it has to be the Zen. The first gen Jellybean was such a nice looking car. Maruti spoilt it with subsequent facelifts and then Estilo sporting the Zen badge was a cardinal sin!
How could you forget that they introduced a pig-faced Zen before this final one? That was the nadir or aesthetics!

My views:
On looks: When will manufacturers understand that simple is still better than all the bling? When will they ban chrome usage on cars?
And also, when will they go back to boxy, butch designs and move away from curvy ones?

On engine and performance:
The 'kitna deti hai?" syndrome is the bane of auto engineering in India. People refuse to accept that fun and safety is what is primary in a car. Mileage is for chauffeur driven car owners.
Why can't we have the 1.9L Palio or the 1.8 TSI Polo hatch as a standard for hatchbacks? All this 70-80-90 PSI are sacrilegious. A car must have at least 120BHP

Last edited by ampere : 15th May 2019 at 08:04. Reason: back to back posts merged.
travelwriter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 18:13   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
How could you forget that they introduced a pig-faced Zen before this final one? That was the nadir or aesthetics!
Lol!

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-images-13.jpeg

You mean the Zen Classic. I discounted it since it was a variant and thankfully optional. It wasn't pushed on us like the facelifted Zen(2003-06) or the Estilo.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 19:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Most won't agree but I feel the old Innova was better than the current Crysta.
The current Crysta has a much better engine + lot of features.
The old one was more robust & reliable, at-least from what I have read in T-Bhp, was more comfortable and ride and handled better. May I also add the 3rd gen also had much more elegant lines.
As a person who wants to own a van, I will give much more importance to comfort, ride and handling and robustness. The reason, why I am not going to upgrade to Crysta.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 21:15   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
For me it has to be the Zen. The first gen Jellybean was such a nice looking car. Maruti spoilt it with subsequent facelifts and then Estilo sporting the Zen badge was a cardinal sin!
Maruti essentially produced various generations (except the 3rd and 6th generations) of what is known as the Alto internationally, over the last 35 years. Most of them were very well received by the Indian market, except the 7th generation Alto, sold in India as the A-Star (the only example of the Alto series which was not perceived to be better than the previous generation, at least in India). While the Zen was essentially the 4th generation Alto, the Estilo was derived from the Wagon-R, and did not deserve the Zen moniker. Although Maruti exported the Zen in large numbers to Europe, I believe the Estilo did not have such an export market.

It would be interesting if you could write a separate thread on the evolution of the Alto in Japan & internationally vs. its evolution in India.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 14th May 2019 at 21:17.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 00:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr10forever View Post
You've got it wrong. Pajero sport is not a replacement for pajero. Its legendary in its design. always has been better than outgoing one and should not feature in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-mitsubishipajerowallpapers654765163600.jpg  

blackbeast is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 06:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Don't get me wrong, the new Civic is the superior car in most areas. However, I still think the 8th-gen is the enthusiast's choice. Main reason = Petrol + MT combination. With the new Civic, you either get a petrol + rubberband CVT, or an "adequate" 1.6L diesel + MT. Nothing that matches the character, fun & high-revving nature of the 8th gen @ 7,100 rpm in 2nd gear:
Spot on with the civic. I learnt to drive in a 10th gen civic, and the thing was totally numb. steering, brakes, handling. Felt just like the rental corollas. One day, the instructor showed up with a 9th gen that was his back up car, and it felt much better. Put my money down on a 9th gen civic Si ( the last of the great Vtec's) and no regrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The Armada looked better than the Bolero

Attachment 1875878
You forget this abomination that happened in between
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-1277141078_101160370_1picturesofmahindraarmadagrendtopmodal1998inverygoodcondition.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
\
3. Tata Indigo to Manza (Only the lights didn't suit as per me),
The indigo CS was among the most cleanly designed compact sedans, and really showed them how it was done!
greenhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 07:09   #60
BHPian

I would like to bring in Bajaj Chetak. (80's Model vs early 2000 Model)

Last edited by vasanthsm : 15th May 2019 at 07:15. Reason: Adding more details.
vasanthsm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks