Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2019, 14:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 sedan price cut. Now starts at Rs. 28.99 lakh

Dear All,

I am planning to replace my Audi A3 35 TDI Premium Plus in next 2-3 months. Do you think it will be more sensible to wait for few more months when there will be no new diesel options available with Audi and sell it at a better price then?
Old 11th December 2019, 15:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Dear All,

I am planning to replace my Audi A3 35 TDI Premium Plus in next 2-3 months. Do you think it will be more sensible to wait for few more months when there will be no new diesel options available with Audi and sell it at a better price then?
Very very very difficult scenario, Mudhasir and worthy of a GTO thread .

How old is your A3 TDI?
What are you replacing it with? How will the new one's price change w.r.t. BS-VI?
There is no guarantee how folks will react post April 2020 to an used Audi with a BS-IV diesel engine. Audi's grandiose announcement that they will have no diesels can go either way. It's as foreseeable as the BSE swings on an election day

If you already have a superb replacement in mind, then go for it!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 17:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very very very difficult scenario, Mudhasir and worthy of a GTO thread .

How old is your A3 TDI?
What are you replacing it with? How will the new one's price change w.r.t. BS-VI?
There is no guarantee how folks will react post April 2020 to an used Audi with a BS-IV diesel engine. Audi's grandiose announcement that they will have no diesels can go either way. It's as foreseeable as the BSE swings on an election day

If you already have a superb replacement in mind, then go for it!
It's almost 2 years old. While the car is beautiful to drive and I enjoy the ride and handling, I am planning to up the luxury factor. C class is in my mind but I haven't finalized it yet
Old 11th December 2019, 20:06   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear All,

People will forget about this and get used to petrol only options or they will only buy competitor diesel BSVI cars. Prices might be static but it won't go higher. A new A3 is around the corner.

My advice, use it and get your money's worth unless your babies (if you have any) have suddenly turned into 6 footers and need space.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 02:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Personally, i would sell the vehicle in a couple of months.
- For most buyers, A3 is their first step into the luxury segment. Most of them might think twice before spending a good chunk of money on their first used luxury diesel vehicle.
- I dont think the prices in the second hand market is going to increase once Audi discontinues diesel vehicles next year.
vj123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 10:10   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The A3 sedan in the used car market has quite a high depreciation, next only to the A4. I see listings and deals getting finalized for low run (40-50K) 2015/16 diesel A3 vehicles around 14-15 lakhs. Petrols from that era are doing similar values, essentially becuase you had the 40TFSI in those days with the stonker of an engine, the 1.8 TSI. The newer petrol engined A3 will fall in value like a ton of bricks in the years ahead, IMO.

The A4s from 2013-16 are doing even worse, since they feel like an essentially aged design with no major design changes between 2009 till 2017.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th December 2019 at 10:12.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 10:38   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Petrols from that era are doing similar values, essentially becuase you had the 40TFSI in those days with the stonker of an engine, the 1.8 TSI. The newer petrol engined A3 will fall in value like a ton of bricks in the years ahead, IMO.
Very well captured. Only 'silver' lining I can see is that the 1.4TSI 150bhp will become the new VAG 'national engine' very soon in the new 1.5TSI Evo 150bhp guise powering everything from the Karoq, Octavia IV, A3, A4 etc.

People will slowly forget that this D1 segment once used to enjoy a 1.8TSI with 177bhp.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 23:12   #23
BHPian

Anyone has any update on ongoing year end offers on A3? Appreciate the inputs in advance. Cheers!
Old 20th February 2020, 19:36   #24
BHPian

I am getting an offer of 37 OTR on Technology plus BS4 Diesel in Bangalore. I am asking for 30L. Is BS4 worth buying at any price? if yes what is the right price?

we are a family of 4 with 2 kids 10-12 years old. Annual usage is 15K KM with a couple of long family trips.
Old 20th February 2020, 20:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
I am getting an offer of 37 OTR on Technology plus BS4 Diesel in Bangalore. I am asking for 30L. Is BS4 worth buying at any price? if yes what is the right price?

we are a family of 4 with 2 kids 10-12 years old. Annual usage is 15K KM with a couple of long family trips.

That would be a steal. The sedan still looks timeless and is the right size for our cities. The interior is simply and elegantly laid out, has immaculate quality and the engine-gearbox pairing is perfect in the TDI.

However, it seems to depreciate a lot faster than the Q3. 2016 vintage Q3s are listing at around 25 lakhs while the same year A3 is listing closer to 18 lakhs - although they were in the similar price bracket at purchase.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 20th February 2020 at 20:02.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 11:22   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting an offer of 37 OTR on Technology plus BS4 Diesel in Bangalore.
37L for A3
Go for Skoda Superb then.
Old 21st February 2020, 12:15   #27
BHPian

Well I don't quite understand the whole fuss about the luxury names in India. Like Anandpadhye mentioned, the Superb definitely is way superior in terms of creature comforts and performance. The VRS is way ahead at the same price bracket. Even abroad, I don't see as many luxury cars as what we see in India. It's a heck lot of money we are speaking about, so my point - do these cars really offer that VFM, save for the fake prestige of being seen on the roads in luxury cars.
akshays is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 15:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
37L for A3
Go for Skoda Superb then.
There is no way I will buy for 37. I am asking for 30 OTR. Is even 30 a good price is what I am asking on this forum? What should be a good price for BS4 A4?
Old 21st February 2020, 18:08   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no way I will buy for 37. I am asking for 30 OTR. Is even 30 a good price is what I am asking on this forum? What should be a good price for BS4 A4?
It's Vento size car with Vento size power figures, IMO. Even if you apply 50% premium for the so called badge and plushness, it's not worth more than 20L.
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 15:07   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
It's Vento size car with Vento size power figures, IMO. Even if you apply 50% premium for the so called badge and plushness, it's not worth more than 20L.
Honestly, the Superb is a great car for the chauffeur driven and with proper parking. Sadly that isn't always the case and people have different priorities.
The A3 is a better handling car, with nicer interiors and a feel good factor that many owner drivers would appreciate.

While it may be Vento sized - which could be an issue as his family grows; the car is definitely more powerful, with much nicer interiors, and far superior road manners. I remember driving my remapped Laura L&K with 225 Michelin tyres, and an A3 under test kept up with me on a hard turn without breaking into a sweat!
Not to mention interior quality was a big plus over my Laura (and current Octavia).
Just for reference, I've driven a vento countless times as my wife owned one earlier.

If he can get a deal at 30-32L it could be a steal.
Yes, it will depreciate a lot more quicker because it's a luxury product but it will definitely keep him happy during the ownership.
Extended warranty would help alleviate a lot of concerns of BS4, and to be honest during this whole transition period to BS6 - where several cars have shown DPF errors etc. It may be equally risky as buying a BS4 vehicle.
The only problems that seem to arise could be to do with quicker wear and tear of some expensive components like injectors - but a BS6 diesel that doesn't see much highway usage could require an expensive DPF replacement - so one way or another it doesn't seem to make a big difference (unless you're buying a BS6 petrol).

My only suggestion would be to try and stretch for an X1 / A4 simply because the family will grow and the A3 could start feeling cramped sooner rather than later.

These cars, if maintained well, feel tight even after 8-9 years of ownership and hide their age very well - so the additional investment could be worth it!
lamborghini is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks