Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Audi A3 sedan price cut. Now starts at Rs. 28.99 lakh

Audi has reduced the price of the A3 sedan by around Rs. 4 lakh to mark the model's fifth anniversary in India. Prices now start at Rs. 28.99 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

Audi A3 sedan price cut. Now starts at Rs. 28.99 lakh-pic_audi-india-celebrates-five-years-audi-a3-sedan-india.jpg

The Audi A3 sedan was launched in 2014. It is available in 4 variants and comes equipped with features like a panoramic sunroof, Audi Phone box with wireless charging, 2-zone climate control with rear vents and puddle lamps. The S Line package comes with S Line front and rear bumpers, side skirts, grille, rear diffuser, chrome exhaust tips, illuminated door sills with S logo and S Line badges on the front fender.

Audi A3 sedan price cut. Now starts at Rs. 28.99 lakh-pic_audi-india-celebrates-five-years-audi-a3-sedan-india_1.jpg

The Audi A3 is available with two engine options including a 1.4-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 148 BHP @ 5,000-6,000 rpm and 250 Nm of torque @ 1,500-3,500 rpm and a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that puts out 141 BHP @ 3,500-4,000 rpm and 320 Nm @ 1,750-3,000 rpm. The engines come paired with 7-speed and 6-speed dual-clutch automatic transmissions respectively.

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

A3 35 TFSI Premium Plus - Rs. 28,99,000

A3 35 TFSI Technology - Rs. 30,99,000

A3 35 TDI Premium Plus - Rs. 29,99,000

A3 35 TDI Technology - Rs. 31,99,000

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 15:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 sedan price cut. Now starts at Rs. 28.99 lakh

This had to happen someday. Prices for luxury cars have shot through the sky (roof would be an understatement) and discounts to the tune of a new A-segment hatch were not unheard of. I remember when A3 was launched in 2014, the starting price was in 22-23 lacs range and these guys increased that by 10 lacs over a period of 5 years

I am not much into luxury cars so not sure if there were any feature & spec improvements done in between to justify this hike. Anyways, Audi India has just regularised the discount now!
tarik.arora is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 15:45   #3
BHPian

With sales slowdown this had to happen. Audi is especially hit with ageing models. Wish and hope that all luxury makers follow suit. Lower ex-showroom, rather than fat discounts, will help people save on road tax and will also preserve them brand equity which high discounts have eroded.

~m
serious_maniac is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 21:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

One beautiful result of sales slumps are that prices will potentially correct themselves. I just hope the dealers who were saddled with now overpriced inventory were not left high and dry!

Future for Audi

A3 - new one due shortly, lots of inventory to clear
A4 - selling slowly - not a bad car
A6 - need to clear stock and again next gen is not that much of an advance
A8 - Ditto but new version is a little more advanced but forthcoming revised 7 might trump it

Problem with Audis, they are a car that I would be happy to be gifted but not one that I would go out and buy.

Last edited by ajmat : 4th June 2019 at 10:21.
ajmat is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 22:27   #5
BHPian

After discounts, the A3 Premium Plus is currently available at 24-25 ex showroom. This is before negotiation, but applicable for corporate lease I guess.

The figures mentioned above were received before this announcement and I don't know if discounts are actually being curtailed now!

Last edited by GTO : 4th June 2019 at 08:26. Reason: Spacing
JishD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 08:32   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, @ 35 lakhs on the road, that's still a grossly overpriced car. It's too small with a cramped cabin, and gets the 1.4 TSI where the Octavia has a 1.8 TSI. Because of its size, the A3 isn't suitable as a family car and because of the small engine, it's no enthusiast's car either.

Thanks, but no thanks. Audi is going to have to try harder. Related thread (Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?).
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 09:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the Octavia has a 1.8 TSI. Because of its size, the A3 isn't suitable as a family car
Exactly my thoughts.
Why would anyone want to buy A3 over Octavia 1.8 TSI. The only reason could be lure of four rings. Unless one is really brand conscious, Octavia is a better product on all counts be it space, power, comfort & features.

It's not an easy market for luxury car maker. Recently BMW CEO Hans-Christian Baertels said in an interview that he would not know when overall luxury car market would grow in India. He was unwilling to put any timeline for doubling BMW sales numbers. Also, he mentioned that BMW strategy was not to play the price game.

With the current prices & car buying trend, Ze German would have wait for 5-7 years before BMW crosses 20k per year sales.

Anyhow, the move from Audi is in positive direction. IMHO, all luxury car makers need to correct their pricing across the range & bring some sanity back on the table (discount of 8-10 lakhs makes one look like fool, if you've bought full price car).
Acharya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 10:21   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Why would anyone want to buy A3 over Octavia 1.8 TSI.
Or the deadly Octavia vRS when it was on sale (there were A3 variants that cost more than the vRS). Performance that is enough to even blow the A8 away, forget the A3.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 07:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

I feel Audi is in need for a brand re-build globally. Their cars are uninspiring to look at, doesn’t have the desirability factor (lose out big time when the old gen models look almost as good/bad as the current gen). IMO, the only Audi which looked new recently was the Q2 and that’s because it was an all-new model and there was no previous template to follow. They have a chance to bounce back with the new A3, especially when BMW have gone bonkers with the new 1-series design.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 08:34   #10
BHPian

I have had the opportunity to Drive All 1.8TSI from the VW family.
The Passat from VW. - Malaysia
The A3 from Audi. - Malaysia
The Octavia from Skoda. - India

I am not getting into the discussion of looks as they are subjective and for me the Audi is the best looking of the lot. While on the interiors, love the VW’s Design.

But when we talk about the engine and drivability, the Audi scores big. Not only with respect to performance but also how the engine responds in Traffic or on the Expressway.

VW needs to ensure they differentiate all 3 Brands more clearly so that customers can identify their needs more clearly.

Today the brands are so close to each other that they cannibalize each other’s sales.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th December 2019 at 21:33. Reason: Octiva > Octavia, added punctuations.
Old 10th December 2019, 20:15   #11
BHPian

I had enquired about the A3 in June this year, so I received a promotional SMS today saying that the A3 is available at 25.99L. This should translate to around 33L OTR Bangalore.
akshay_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 20:54   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
I have had the opportunity to Drive All 1.8TSI from the VW family.
The Passat from VW. - Malaysia
The A3 from Audi. - Malaysia
The Octiva from Skoda. - India

But when we talk about the engine and drivability the Audi scores big. Not only with respect to Performance but also how the engine responds in Traffic or on the Expressway.
So the 1.8 TSI engines in the Passat, A3 and Octavia that you drove were all in the exact same tune and same generation of EA888? And all 3 cars had the exact same gearbox? Performance and drivability don't have anything to do with the brand. They only depend on the state of tune, the gearbox (ratios and shift times) and the weight of the car. I had the 2nd gen Octavia with 1.8 TSI (160bhp tune mated 6speed MT) for 8 years and the Polo GTI with 3rd gen of the same engine (189BHP tune mated to DQ200) for 2 years now. Clearly, GTI is much faster because of lower weight, higher tune and faster GB.

Audi A3 in India comes with 1.4 TSI engine which simply can't match the 1.8 TSI (even in 1.8's lowest state of tune). The A3 sold in India is quite a pointless car.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 21:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Come 2020, there will be no diesels sold by Audi and then with only ageing petrol's, dealers will be left high and dry for all the huge investments they've made, twiddling thumbs and wait for a hapless customer to come in...
Old 11th December 2019, 04:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I had enquired about the A3 in June this year, so I received a promotional SMS today saying that the A3 is available at 25.99L. This should translate to around 33L OTR Bangalore.
I have been receiving regular SMSs too about the A3. I think they are seriously overstocked and I would expect even further discounting. At the right price point, this may still be a good buy. Remember, they have down away with the base variants and IMO, the Diesel premium plus at 25 lakhs would still be a steal. The body shape and styling is truly near-perfect and timeless, it looks so desirable in red even after 5 years since Launch!
Old 11th December 2019, 09:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

God help Audi and their dealers if they have the relatively ancient A3 in stock in large numbers. Remember, on and from 1 April 2020, no RTO will register BS-IV vehicles, so the alternative will be for Audi India or their dealers to themselves buy all remaining stock OR export them OR scavenge them for parts.

I can't remember when I saw a new A3 in Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks